Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
DisReno
Mouseketeer

Okay, you can't lock the doors with the car running if it's in park, but once you put it in reverse or start driving, you can lock the doors. Obviously.

Those that say you can't lock the doors when it's running are talking about when you put it in park. Any car, for safety reasons, can be locked when it is in drive.
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #32
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

While I've never been comfortable leaving young children in the car I think parent B sounds like a weird, busybody.
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #33
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLDM View Post
While I've never been comfortable leaving young children in the car I think parent B sounds like a weird, busybody.
This!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #34
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisReno View Post
Okay, you can't lock the doors with the car running if it's in park, but once you put it in reverse or start driving, you can lock the doors. Obviously.

Those that say you can't lock the doors when it's running are talking about when you put it in park. Any car, for safety reasons, can be locked when it is in drive.
I think that's odd too. What if you want to warm up the car? You have to leave it running with the doors unlocked?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

I understand 'B's concern. I think a more appropriate plan of action would be going to the daycare office and saying "there's a parent leaving an infant in the car". Presumably the daycare would be up to speed on what the law is. If the daycare is concerned, they could go out and watch to find out who the parent is (or check security cameras if available) and talk with them. If the daycare realizes it's not against the law and can't do anything, they could let B know.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #36
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb1 View Post
parent B should MYOB
Yep - people need to get over themselves and mind their own business.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
CheekyRose
Earning My Ears

Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's smart. Or safe. It takes a lot less than 10 minutes for someone to smash a window and grab the baby. Even less when the engine is running, to smash the window, get in and drive away with your child.

I can't believe any adult doesn't actually realize that, they just think it won't happen to them. Plus, I'm a very non-confrontational person, so I wouldn't say anything to Parent A, and certainly wouldn't videotape it. But I would hang out and keep an eye on the car until the parent came back out, and I would call the police if I thought the child was in immediate danger, like if it was a hot day.
CheekyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #38
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyRose View Post
Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's smart. Or safe. It takes a lot less than 10 minutes for someone to smash a window and grab the baby. Even less when the engine is running, to smash the window, get in and drive away with your child.

I can't believe any adult doesn't actually realize that, they just think it won't happen to them.
Smash the window and steal the baby ?!? The paranoia of some on the DIS never fails to amuse me.

I personally don't think it's a big deal to leave an infant in a car seat under these circumstances as long as the A/C or heat is on to keep the climate in the car at a safe level. A bigger concern for me would be that the parent would get into the habit of leaving the baby in a car and might forget him/her in the car when they go to work. Babies tragically die every year from being forgotten in hot or cold cars.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #39
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't leave my child personally, but if the law allows it then there is nothing to argue about. If I was person A, I would threaten to sue person B for videotaping my child without my consent just to shut them up.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #40
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Parent A is not violating the law. Opinions on whether or not they are "right" to to leave the child unattended are irrelevant. They are allowed to do so.

I have no nice words for Parent B. I hate people like this. They just need to feel superior. Nothing worse than someone sanctimonious and smug. If I were Parent A, I'd find out if them video taping my minor child w/out consent for non-editorial use is even legal.

The fact is, as a whole, we need to start being nicer to others. Period. Parent B knows NOTHING about Parent A but feels the need to butt in, judge, threaten, and just be a pain in the rear end. If they were SO concerned with the baby, then maybe they could just help Parent A out and offer to watch the child for the 2 minutes Parent A is in the school? In return, Parent A could watch Parent B's other children so she didn't need to take them into the school with her.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #41
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Parent B would be most upset in my area. My boys are no longer in a preschool but this was a very common occurrence. They went to a church mothers day out for a few months when they turned 2 and quite a few mothers did the same thing, infant n car with vehicle locked and running. I had no issues with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #42
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
If the state law says it's OK, then it's not illegal.

However, with all the nuts around today, even in rural areas (Newtown CT is suburban to rural in nature depending on where you live) I probably wouldn't leave a child unattended in a car, locked or not. Too much can happen in a short period of time.

If I saw a child left in a car, I'd probably hang out and keep an eye on the car/kid till Mom or Dad came back...not stand next to the car waiting to berate you, but just wait in my own car with my eyes on the other car until I saw someone was back with the kid.
This. I'd probably sit in my car and keep an eye on the situation just in case something happens. I might not be able to do anything if something happened, but I could at least call 911 or something.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #43
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, perhaps I am mistaken. Your right, I know for a fact that my doors automatically lock once i start driving. That much I do know! So your right about that. But I remember one instance where I tried to lock my doors but couldnt cause they kept unlocking on their own. Why would they unlock on their own? I cant remember. Thats why im confused. Anyway, carry on....
with my car, I can't push the lock button on the remote to lock the doors while the car is running, but I CAN press the lock button on the door to lock them if the car is running (and in fact, as soon as I put the car into gear, they lock automatically).
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #44
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Guess I'm the odd man out. I don't believe Parent B did anything wrong. She was concerned for the well-being of the infant. She videotaped it, I'm assuming, because every time you "accuse" someone of something you'd better have proof. I would also have reached out to the daycare before "confronting" Parent A. If the law says 10 minutes, then Parent A hasn't broken the law, although I think 10 minutes of an infant being left in a running car is asking for trouble. And yes, there have been instances of cars being stolen with infants in them. It's not a super common occurrence but it does happen. Then we will have Parent A on TV pleading for the safe return of their baby and feeling horrible because "it was only for a minute".

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #45
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I wouldn't leave my child personally, but if the law allows it then there is nothing to argue about. If I was person A, I would threaten to sue person B for videotaping my child without my consent just to shut them up.
I don't think your suit would do anything. As I understand it, as long as the person videotaping is somewhere they're allowed to be, they can videotape whatever they want. The laws are different by state though. I think you'd still have to show how the videotape caused you (or your child) harm.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: