Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Around here, there is no ten minute law.

I think parent A is insane to leave the child unattended in a running car. But if parent B has called the police, presumably the police will explain that it is legal for parent A to leave the kid for ten minutes.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

If the state law says it's OK, then it's not illegal.

However, with all the nuts around today, even in rural areas (Newtown CT is suburban to rural in nature depending on where you live) I probably wouldn't leave a child unattended in a car, locked or not. Too much can happen in a short period of time.

If I saw a child left in a car, I'd probably hang out and keep an eye on the car/kid till Mom or Dad came back...not stand next to the car waiting to berate you, but just wait in my own car with my eyes on the other car until I saw someone was back with the kid.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I dont believe so. Im pretty sure the doors unlock right back. I should try that after work thou. LOL! Just to be sure!
That's very strange. My car automatically locks as soon as I put it into motion.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
If my car is running, the doors wont lock even if your inside or outside. My car is brand new too, 2012. I dunno how she managed to lock it with the car running. Anyway, I think video taping was out of line.

I dont agree with leaving a child alone inside a running car, but if state law says 10 min or under is acceptable, then thats fine.

But I think the parent should have minded their own business thou.
That seems odd. So you can't lock your doors while driving? A child could open the door while going down the road or someone could open your door at a stop sign and just hop in?

My doors lock automatically as soon as the vehicle is moving and I have keyless entry so it is very easy to lock and have the car running.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
That's very strange. My car automatically locks as soon as I put it into motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
That seems odd. So you can't lock your doors while driving? A child could open the door while going down the road or someone could open your door at a stop sign and just hop in?

My doors lock automatically as soon as the vehicle is moving and I have keyless entry so it is very easy to lock and have the car running.
Ladies and gentlemen, perhaps I am mistaken. Your right, I know for a fact that my doors automatically lock once i start driving. That much I do know! So your right about that. But I remember one instance where I tried to lock my doors but couldnt cause they kept unlocking on their own. Why would they unlock on their own? I cant remember. Thats why im confused. Anyway, carry on....

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #21
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

Parent B seems pretty unstrategic and slightly nutty to me. Who starts by videotaping and threatening? I'm pretty sure that Dear Abby would suggest a straightforward conversation with the driver, or, if that's too confrontational, with the daycare director. You're not going to win anyone over to your side by videotaping them and threatening them straight away--it would make the calmest among us pretty defensive. And, also, if there's no law or rule against it, it's a threat without any weight behind it, which makes it particularly unuseful.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, perhaps I am mistaken. Your right, I know for a fact that my doors automatically lock once i start driving. That much I do know! So your right about that. But I remember one instance where I tried to lock my doors but couldnt cause they kept unlocking on their own. Why would they unlock on their own? I cant remember. Thats why im confused. Anyway, carry on....
If I try and lock my car while it is running using the lock on the inside of the door, it just unlocks again. This keeps me from locking myself out. Maybe that is what happened to you.

I have to use my keyless entry pad on the outside of the door to lock it while it is running.

As to the question, I don't know what person B thinks the police would do if it is not against the law.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
If I try and lock my car while it is running using the lock on the inside of the door, it just unlocks again. This keeps me from locking myself out. Maybe that is what happened to you.

I have to use my keyless entry pad on the outside of the door to lock it.

As to the question, I don't know what person B thinks the police would do if it is not against the law.
Ah yes! Thats what im thinking of!!! Thanks for clarying, it was driving me nuts. LOL!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If my car is running, the doors wont lock even if your inside or outside. My car is brand new too, 2012. I dunno how she managed to lock it with the car running. Anyway, I think video taping was out of line.

I dont agree with leaving a child alone inside a running car, but if state law says 10 min or under is acceptable, then thats fine.

But I think the parent should have minded their own business thou.
This would be really strange... I drive many different cars (every time work sends me on travel I get a rental to the airport, from the airport and one wherever I am because the airport is an hour from work) and have never had a car that did this.

I have seen ones that:
1) Don't do anything to do with locking. The doors can be locked or not however you last left them at any time no matter how your driving.
2) Lock as soon as you put the car out of park
3) Lock a few seconds after the car starts moving

I would not want a car I could not lock when inside... Areas with high crime or even just aggressive pan handlers would have me scared to drive it!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I think that Parent B is the one that needs to be talked to. Leaving a baby isn't ideal but if it's legal then they should mind their own business. Plus you don't videotape like that.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
kim929
DIS Veteran

If parent B was so concerned, why didn't they say something directly to parent A. I don't agree with leaving the baby in the car, but I wouldn't of said anything I would of just sat in my car til the parent came back.

My car is a 09 and you can't lock the doors with it running unless there is someone sitting on one of the front seats, it will just keep unlocking.
kim929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725

Extra key? Keyless entry?

OP, I don't know how safe it is for "A" to leave the kid in the car, but "B" is totally out of bounds in videotaping. Really, who does that?
Totally agree with this. Now, maybe i'm biased because this was an everyday thing in my kid's pre-school parking lot and nobody said boo because the baby was usually sleeping and you were only inside for what 5 min (if that) Good grief. Now, if it was in some obscure parking lot on a triple digit day then that may be cause for concern. BTW half the parents in my kid's current elementary school car pool would be arrested too including me. Lol!

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

I do this with my two small dogs. I leave the car running with the key in the ignition and bring the keyless entry remote with me.

I wouldn't do it longer then picking up a prescription or stamps or something, but I wouldn't do it ever with an infant in the car.
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

I have done this on occasion, not with the car running though! I have left my infant in the car and dropped off my child at preschool. I didn't do it every day.
I didn't leave the car running and did lock the door. I'd only be gone about 1 minute. Our church is very small and I'm only about 100 feet from the car while doing the drop-off. when it's nasty, sleeting and windy it makes no sense to haul the baby out of the car plus then my older child had to stand and wait in the awful weather and get soaked while I get baby out.
Plus the only people there are parents dropping off kids and we all watch out for one another. Also the teacher knew I did this when the weather is particularly nasty and therefore has my child ready to be 1st out the door for pick-up.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 01-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

If Parent A is leaving the child in the car for less then 10 minutes, and state law says they can do so for up to 10 minutes, then Parent A is not violating state law. Parent B would get nothing out of going to the police in that instance. As for the school, if the school has a policy about leaving children unattended in cars in their parking lot at all, then Parent A would need to know that.

Parent A can ask the school about that now that Parent B has brought it up, but confronting Parent B doesn't sound ideal. And if Parent B wants to call the police and report an unattended child, why doesn't Parent B just call the police? Why present video to the school director? Possibly Parent B knows Parent A is not violating the law and wants the school director to take action because the police won't.

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 01-14-2013 at 11:18 AM.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: