Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
tjknitz
DIS Veteran

Feb Crowds

Hi everyone!

Everytime we've been to Disney it has been the week after Labor Day in September (according to crowd calendars, the average crowds are 1-3).
This year we are going the last week of Feb (according to TP and easwdw crowds are averaging 3 and 4). Should I expect this to be a lot busier than I'm used too? Also, this year we are staying offsite so I'm not sure we will be making rope drop religiously like we did the last time we went to Disney. I plan on going to the most recommended parks each day according to the above sites.......IYO what should I anticipate?

Sept 2015: POP Century
Feb 2013: Offsite
Sept 2009: POP Century
tjknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjknitz View Post
Hi everyone!

Everytime we've been to Disney it has been the week after Labor Day in September (according to crowd calendars, the average crowds are 1-3).
This year we are going the last week of Feb (according to TP and easwdw crowds are averaging 3 and 4). Should I expect this to be a lot busier than I'm used too? Also, this year we are staying offsite so I'm not sure we will be making rope drop religiously like we did the last time we went to Disney. I plan on going to the most recommended parks each day according to the above sites.......IYO what should I anticipate?
Crowds should be low. A lot of schools have February vacation and it is busy at those times, but none of them are the last week of February. Crowds should be very manageable with the only longer waits being the usual...Soarin', TSM, Peter Pan. It may be a little busier than usual due to New Fantasy Land being open, but I wouldn't expect it to be too busy.

We don't stay offsite. While I know it is a lot less expensive in a lot of ways, not only on the cost of lodging, we enjoy being immersed in the magic at all times. Friends that stay off site say it is easier to get there at rope drop. They get up and have a quick breakfast at their hotel/rental house and then shoot into the parks. With a car, you don't have to rely on the busses (I assume you have a car if you are off site).

Don't be too worried and have a great time.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Would early Feb or late Feb be the most busy?
nuge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
tjknitz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Crowds should be low. A lot of schools have February vacation and it is busy at those times, but none of them are the last week of February. Crowds should be very manageable with the only longer waits being the usual...Soarin', TSM, Peter Pan. It may be a little busier than usual due to New Fantasy Land being open, but I wouldn't expect it to be too busy.

We don't stay offsite. While I know it is a lot less expensive in a lot of ways, not only on the cost of lodging, we enjoy being immersed in the magic at all times. Friends that stay off site say it is easier to get there at rope drop. They get up and have a quick breakfast at their hotel/rental house and then shoot into the parks. With a car, you don't have to rely on the busses (I assume you have a car if you are off site).

I actually agree with you!!! I think this be our last time staying offsite (this is our first and probably our last). I just love the resorts and being immersed as you say. My uncle just moved to Orlando and works at Disney so we took him up on the offer to stay with him. This was a last min, quick trip (which is why we are going in Feb rather than our usual Sept) but I think we might stick with the resorts from now on based on I feel like I'm missing out on getting 'welcomed home' from the front desk.

Sept 2015: POP Century
Feb 2013: Offsite
Sept 2009: POP Century
tjknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Sherrkel
Disney World Dreamer . . . Wish I Could Be At My Home Away From Home . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post

Hello from your neighbors in NH where we DO have the last week of February off for school vacation.
It's usually a great time to visit crowd and weather wise.

POR Grand Gathering Feb. 2013 **CSR Grand Gathering 2011, 2009 & 2007 ** CBR 1995 **Disneymoon 1989

Last edited by Sherrkel; 01-14-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Sherrkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrkel View Post
Hello from your neighbors in NH where we DO have the last week of February off for school vacation.
It's usually a great time to visit crowd and weather wise.
We always have the week of Presidents' Day off (18-22 this year). Like the other poster, that's the only week I've ever heard of any schools having off.

I really do not understand the purpose of the Feb break and would love if our school district did away with it.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Sherrkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
We always have the week of Presidents' Day off (18-22 this year). Like the other poster, that's the only week I've ever heard of any schools having off.

I really do not understand the purpose of the Feb break and would love if our school district did away with it.
There has been talk by some districts in our state of eliminating February and April vacations and just having a spring break in March. But to be honest, I enjoy the less crowded week of the end of February and like getting away when it's warmer in Florida (we've been lucky and haven't hit any days where it's colder there then in NE).

POR Grand Gathering Feb. 2013 **CSR Grand Gathering 2011, 2009 & 2007 ** CBR 1995 **Disneymoon 1989

Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

We are going the same week, hoping for low crowds & warm weather.
Tracking the Days, Resort levels still 3-4.
MAKE A WISH TRIP MAY 2011
2012bella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Sherrkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bella13 View Post
We are going the same week, hoping for low crowds & warm weather.
Tracking the Days, Resort levels still 3-4.
Hi Bella, since our family is arriving on Thur 2/21, we just have to get thru some crowd level 7 and 8 predictions before hopefully settling down on Sun 2/24.

My niece was first introduced to Disney in 2005 when she went to GKTW with her parents and sisters; they've been going back (staying on-site) every other year since then. I see you also went for your daughter as a wish trip. Hope it was fun!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Christine & family
Mouseketeer

We are also from NH. Our kids get out on Friday, February 22 and go back on Monday, March 4. We are flying out the afternoon of 2/22 and will be coming home 3/3. Hoping for lots and lots of sunshine!!
Christine & family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
NHDisneyKid
Mouseketeer

Another NH family here We're also off the week of the 25th (I think the whole state is?) Years ago, I remember NH switced to the last week to avoid the crowded slopes when MA and ME are on February vacation!
We'll see all you other NH families in the World in just over 5 weeks!
NHDisneyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Ariel1014
Earning My Ears

NH here too and off the week of the 25th as well. Flying to the world on the 24th! Counting down the days.

April 1987 - Offsite
July 1989 - Offisite
Aug 1991 - Offsite
June 2001 - ASMu
Feb 2005 - Pop
Jan 2010 - Pop
Jan 25 - 30, 2011 - POFQ
Jan 27 - 31, 2012 - Pop
Feb 23 - March 1, 2013 POP
February 23 - March 1, 2014 Pop
Ariel1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
kofslinky
Mouseketeer

Hello neighbors! I teach in Maine and my district has the 18-22 week off, as a PP mentioned. I'll actually be headed for my Happy Place that week and I can't wait! I went the same time frame three years ago, and the crowd level was quite low, although the weather was quite chilly that week. I can't wait to go back, hoping the crowd level is about the same, but for some warmer weather this time around!

For a PP, I believe the reasoning for a week in February has historically been to help with cost of heating. Up here in the frozen north February is still quite a chilly time, and this can help with heating costs. Is that necessarily the truth? Nope. But I don't mind. As a teacher, the idea of trying to teach students from Christmas break until the middle of March is a scary one- they can sometimes barely make it to Thanksgiving without a break, and the week in February breaks up the winter nicely. It also gives me a great chance to go to WDW!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: