Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
KEichman
Mouseketeer

San Juan- reviews of Kids Activities on Castillo San Cristobal excursion?

It's a good bit of money, compared to doing this on your own, but the youth activity adds a nice dimension. A little bit of free time in port will be great, since or child has issues that prevent her from walking long distances, especially with hills and uneven surfaces. I'm really hoping to hear from someone who chose the Kids Activity option for this tour, to find out if it's worth the extra cost.

Anyone do this excursion with Kids Activity with DCL Youth Counselors?

Last edited by KEichman; 01-14-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: More specifics
KEichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
faithtrustpixie
Mouseketeer

We're doing this excursion in February. When are you cruising? We can post a report when we get back if that would help.
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
KEichman
Mouseketeer

That would be great. We're sailing in April. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

We were there in Nov. It's an easy walk from the port (unless you're disabled) and cost $10 for all 4 of us to enter. Kids enter free and we bought the combo ticket that allows entry to the other fort (Morro) but we never had time to get there too.
It was crazy hot that day and by the time we were done, most of us just wanted some pool time. There's a shuttle service that stops right on the main street to take you to the other fort but we just missed it and waited so long for the next one, we realized there's not enough time to see the next fort and still get back to the ship in time.

From NPS.org website:

Adults (16 +) / per fortification $3.00 - Day
Valid ticket for 24 hours.

Both fortifications (16+) $5.00
Valid ticket for 7 days

Children 15 and under Free!

I don't know what DCL is charging but if it's more than say $10 pp you are getting robbed. Even at $10 we would have paid $40, when really all we paid was $10. Had we known in advance there wasn't enough time to see both forts, we could have paid $6 for all 4 of us to enter the one fort.

oops. I just read the part about having issues walking up hills or uneven ground. You could always take a taxi but there were a good bit of stairs & hills inside the fort itself. I wasn't thinking at the time if it was wheelchair accessible.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
KEichman
Mouseketeer

Thanks...we're ok with inside the fort, I think. It's just longer distances that pose a problem. Disney charges substantially more, but includes a bus tour of Old San Juan, and time at the Children's Discovery Center. Disney youth counselors do some activities with the kids, allowing about an hour of free time for parents. I'm hoping to hear from anyone who participated in the bus tour and kids activity to see if this is worth the additional cost.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
sgc1107
sgc1107

We did this through disney!.... Old San Juan and Bacardi tour... Do it on your own!! We were so rushed at the fort we didn't see everything! Driving through old San Juan was ok thought it would be more walking around not a quick drive! The best part about the Bacardi tour was the two free drinks!! You don't even see the real distillery! Huge disappointment!! Was rushed the entire day!! Needless to say that we didn't tip much for that tour! We paid $59 pp(I think that's correct) for DH and I! Wish we had done the fort ourselves!

sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
KEichman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc1107 View Post
We did this through disney!.... Old San Juan and Bacardi tour... Do it on your own!!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm really hoping to hear from someone who did the Fort excursion with Kids Activity. That's the main addition that adds to the premium cost, I'm sure. So I'm hoping to find out whether it is remotely worth it.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
FabFivePA
Mouseketeer

We haven't yet, but I looked into it and decided to do it on our own. It looks like the Youth activity is one you can also do on your own, the Little Masons.

This is all I could really find on it. http://www.nps.gov/saju/parknews/gra...toric-site.htm

So we're going to do the activity on our own as well, can't find if or what charge it would be.

Sorry I couldn't be more help either. We cruise in March, so can at least come back and let you know if it worked out doing it on our own or not and what the costs were so you can weigh the costs of the excursion vs on your own.

Hopefully somebody who's done it already pops in!
FabFivePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
KEichman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFivePA View Post
We haven't yet, but I looked into it and decided to do it on our own. It looks like the Youth activity is one you can also do on your own, the Little Masons.
Thanks! I do see that the Little Masons piece is available for anyone at the Children's Discovery Center. I had trouble finding info on that, too. I think the DLC "add on" is this:

"Disney Cruise Line Youth Activities Counselors will join the children as they mold and paint a clay memento of their new learned trade, allowing parents to enjoy approximately one hour of free time, if so desired, to explore Old San Juan or shop."

I'll be eagerly looking out for your posts upon your return. Enjoy your trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: