Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Harlon
Earning My Ears

My next trip ...

We've gone to DW 3 years in a row. Had a blast each time. But I've decided to do a few things different next year (2014) when we go back. I'm going to add an extra few days and plan to slow down a bit. We move so fast, to get as much done as we can, I'm afraid we actually miss too much as a result. I want to relax at the resort a bit. Maybe catch the pool or the late movie. And even at the parks we want to take our time and see more shows and even shops. Find some Hidden Mickey's. And another biggie - I'm leaving my camera at home. I've seen so many awesome moments from behind that camera. I want to just watch them with my eyes. I'll have my iPhone - so I'll grab a few shots and any special moments that pop up with our kiddos, but that's all.

My 7 year old gave me a great lesson. We were watching the Disney Castle lighting (Christmas). She needed me to hold her so she could see. I was having trouble holding her and the camera. So I told her "I'm doing my best, sweetie. I want to make sure I get this recorded." She told me, so sweetly in my ear .. "but all you have to do is record it in your heart. You'll never forget it if it's there." All I could say was "wow." And she was right - I'll indeed never forget that moment. So next time - no cameras!!

Just wondered if anyone has any opinions or have gone through any similar learning experiences. And BTW - I LOVE this board and read it almost daily!!
Harlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
quirty30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlon
We've gone to DW 3 years in a row. Had a blast each time. But I've decided to do a few things different next year (2014) when we go back. I'm going to add an extra few days and plan to slow down a bit. We move so fast, to get as much done as we can, I'm afraid we actually miss too much as a result. I want to relax at the resort a bit. Maybe catch the pool or the late movie. And even at the parks we want to take our time and see more shows and even shops. Find some Hidden Mickey's. And another biggie - I'm leaving my camera at home. I've seen so many awesome moments from behind that camera. I want to just watch them with my eyes. I'll have my iPhone - so I'll grab a few shots and any special moments that pop up with our kiddos, but that's all.

My 7 year old gave me a great lesson. We were watching the Disney Castle lighting (Christmas). She needed me to hold her so she could see. I was having trouble holding her and the camera. So I told her "I'm doing my best, sweetie. I want to make sure I get this recorded." She told me, so sweetly in my ear .. "but all you have to do is record it in your heart. You'll never forget it if it's there." All I could say was "wow." And she was right - I'll indeed never forget that moment. So next time - no cameras!!

Just wondered if anyone has any opinions or have gone through any similar learning experiences. And BTW - I LOVE this board and read it almost daily!!
I totally relate to this post. I'm a single mom who has been lucky enough to have several trips to Disney with my kids. Love having pictures, but I miss so much when I'm glued to the camera. I use it less and less every visit.
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlon View Post

Spend the extra money and preorder the photopass+. Then you get to have some memories photographed with you in them. You get to take as many or as few opportunities for pictures as you want, you get the dinner photos and ride photos as part of the deal. That's what I did and will never bring a camera again. Yes there are things I don't have a photo of, but while the kids are kids I want to enjoy them. I'll go back when the kids are older and take all the photos I need of the other stuff.

I took DD in October 2011 for her 9th Birthday, just her and I. I am so glad I didn't bring the camera and just enjoyed the time with her.

For relaxing time, we usually make at least one day a non park day to visit resorts, relax at the pool, shopping or whatever else we decide to do. That way you get a break from running around all the time. At POFQ they do movies on the lawn some nights. DD and I brought our pillows from the room and just relaxed and watched movies for a few hours. DS and I took a bass fishing trip one year. There's so much more to do than just the parks if you slow down and look.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
DisneyCowgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlon View Post

You are going to LOVE your next trip, I can almost guarantee it. We finally did this in December--less time running around in the parks, a whole day lounging at the resort, only a few pictures taken with a camera that fit in my pocket. DH was still recovering from illness and surgery but we didn't want to cancel the trip, so we were forced to take it slow and easy. As a result, the kids were well-rested the whole time which meant they had more fun which translated into a better time for the adults. And I returned to work after the trip actually feeling rested and happy. We now know we will plan all our trips this way from now on.

On the camera issue--I've decided, at least for now, it's better to have a few pictures to commemorate the trip so we'll kind of designate a time for pictures (like, on the second MK morning, we're taking some pictures) and we spend about 20 minutes getting some good shots of the whole family. Then we don't worry about it. No nagging the kids to stand still, smile, etc. For our family at the stage we're at, this is much less stressful. Then I write up a trip summary to put with the few good pics in the photo album and we're set.
DisneyCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Naughtilus
Earning My Ears

I can relate to this post as well. Slowing down the next time is definitely in order.

How about handing the camera off to the kids and let them take as many shots as they'd like?
Naughtilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Harlon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
How about handing the camera off to the kids and let them take as many shots as they'd like?
That's actually a great idea. They would love that. Now that I think about it - I don't think my youngest (now 8) has ever actually taken a picture in 3 trips there! Thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Naughtilus
Earning My Ears

Nice!
Naughtilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Harlon
Earning My Ears

Plus it would sure be interesting looking through all the pictures when we got back! Pancakes, Goofy's feet, towels, robot trash cans ... no telling what would be on there! Lol
Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
eeyorefan107
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlon

I totally relate. We spent so much time rushing around and trying to see it all last year. This year I doubled our length of stay, and we have no touring plans. The only plans we have are our ADR's. We're going to stop and smell the roses this trip. =) We leave in 16 days.

Counting down the days until our next Disney Trip!!

eeyorefan107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

I 2nd the photopass+!!!!! :-)

We bring our camera, and only use at character meals or M&G, But the most time we just stop a photopass guy and move on..
Had over 200 pic on our last 3 day trip to DL..

and I can't wait for our 10 day trip in may!

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: