Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
ldhr2005
Mouseketeer

Signature Rec's...

We are planning a 3 night adults only get away, and are SO excited to eat somewhere other than character meals, 'Ohana, Boma, ect (love them, but never get to do anything different).

We would love to do a Signature- something that we would not do with our 2 young kids. Suggestions???

Also, we added the Regular Dining, but are contemplating doing Deluxe so we can do a Signature each night. Opinions on that as well???

PS. Le Cellier is not an option, and we have done it many times before- and though we liked it well enough, I don't feel that it warrants 2 credits.
ldhr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Of those on the dining plan my order of preference is:

Flying Fish, Monsier Paul, Citricos, Jiko, Brown Derby, Ca Grill, Wolfgang's The Dining Room, Yachtsman, Fultons, Artist Point, Narcoosees, Le Cellier.

I should not that I'm not a huge meat eater. I think both Yachtsman and Artist Point are nice enough restaurants but their menus are not as appealing to me and therefore rank lower than they would if their menus were not as meat heavy.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
AppleSister1
DIS Veteran

Sigs we enjoy: Jiko, Hollywood Brown Derby, Artist's Point, Yachtsmen's Steakhouse. (Also Cali Grill, but it's undergoing a rehab.) For a more adult , relaxed meal, I'd suggest Jiko or Artist's.

I'd also like to try the new Monsieur Paul restaurant, upstairs in the French Pavillion at WS in Epcot. We did it in when it Bistro de Paris and quite enjoyed it.
1982 - WDW, Off site * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 - DL, Disneyland Hotel * 1998 - CSR * 2000 - YC* 2001 - DL, Grand Californian * 2002 - YC * 2003 - YC * 2004 - BC Concierge * 2006 - YC * 2008 - YC * Jan 2010 - WL * May 2010-Poly * Dec 2010 - CSR *April 2011 - AKL CL * Sept 2011 - YC * Dec 2011 - YC * May 2012 - YC * July 2012 - Aulani * Dec 2012 - POFQ * April 2013 - POFQ * June 2014- Contemporary * October '14 Boardwalk
AppleSister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

My favorite restaurant in all of wdw has to be cotricos. The atmosphere is wonderful and the food is sublime. If you don't mind eating late... It's awesome to watch the fireworks from citricos or Narcoossees.

Another restaurant we enjoy is raglan road. It's not signature, but it is one of our favorites. Check out the menus and see what you like.
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
SimplyGoofy
"You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!" "Rat, shmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?"

I've eaten at four of them: California Grill, Jiko, Yatchsman Steakhouse, and Hollywood Brown Derby.

California Grill was by far our favorite, but it's currently closed. I would recommend either Jiko or Yatchsman (Jiko's a bit more unique, but the steaks and desserts at Yatchsman were VERY good). You wouldn't go wrong with either one!

The food at Hollywood Brown Derby was good, but our server was a huge grump. I believe her attitude influenced my opinion of the place.

Feb 2012 - A Savanna, A Wizard, and Oodles of Food - AKL/DxDP/WWoHP
SimplyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
nat8199
Mouseketeer

I have not eaten at any of the Signatures, so I cannot comment on which are good, but I can tell you that we are doing the DxDP just so that we can try them out! We are going to do a Character breakfast each morning and then a Signature Dinner almost every night. We are going to try out Monsieur Paul, Le Cellier, Narcoosee's, Cali Grill, Flying Fish, and the Yachtsman. I am super excited!!!!!

Too many pre-family to count!

Me - 32 DH - 34 DD - 5 DS - 4 DS - 4
nat8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I've eaten at 7 dining plan signatures.

My ranking of these would be:

1. Artist Point
2. California Grill
3. Jiko
4. Flying Fish
5. Citricos
6. Yachtsman
7. Hollywood Brown Derby

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of 1-5. The other two, while still very good, just weren't quite on the same level.

And yes, I can recommend doing deluxe dining for eating at a signature every night (that way, you get the appetizers included). The trickiest part is planning the other meal (i.e., using that third daily TS credit) and snack credit allocation so that you're adequately hungry for the signature dinners.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've done all the signature restaurants. Our favorites are YSH, AP, FF and Citrico in that (very close) order. Our least favorite is HBD. That's not to say we don't like HBD (or the others), just stating what our preferences are.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
msujroot
Mouseketeer

We've been lucky enough to eat at all the Signature Restaurants. We really enjoy the experience - for us, the ability to get away from the crowds is very nice. For that reason, I'd highly recommend you looking at upgrading your dining package - if it is within your budget, I say GO FOR IT!!!

DW and I enjoy the Signature Restaurants in this (general) order:

Victoria and Alberts - LOVE this place - we've been able to eat here three times, and the experience is one that you will never forget!

California Grill - The ability to watch the fireworks while you eat is wonderful!

Narcoossee's - Great seafood - it can get a bit noisy - this one is our "must do" each time we visit because of the wonderful memories that it brings up

Jiko - Beautiful interior and fantastic food - don't be afraid to try something different

Artist Point - Great food (especially the cedar plank salmon and cobbler dessert) - lovely staff!

After those, we can say that we've also had great meals at Yachtsmans, Citricos, Flying Fish, and Brown Derby. There have been times that we've felt rushed eating at HBD - maybe because it is in the parks, so they are trying to get people in and out faster...I don't know.

Le Cellier and Coral Reef are other places we've eaten at, but in our opinion aren't at the same level...

Have fun!
June 2006 - Wilderness Lodge CL July 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside / Yacht Club CL
March 2008 - Offsite
April 2009 - Wilderness Lodge CL July 2010 - Beach Club / Polynesian CL
msujroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
anhower
Mouseketeer

Since Le Cellier is out of the running, here's my list:

Yachtsman
Narcoossee's
California Grill
Artist Point

We ate at HBD and didn't enjoy it. This trip we're trying Flying Fish and I've heard good things about it so I'm pretty excited. This is our third time using the DxDP and we love it. We quickly figured out that the best way to get the most out of the plan while not feeling horrible after eating is to eat one breakfast/early lunch and then a late signature dinner. We made the mistake of eating three meals in one day a few times on a previous trip and we felt just awful afterwards. We're actually eating at Le Cellier twice this trip, once for lunch and dinner, because we have an extra credit we can't squeeze in the first day.

Sorry for the rambling, I get excited talking about Disney food

Coronado Springs Resort February 2011 . Port Orleans Riverside January 2012 . Polynesian Resort October 2012 . Port Orleans French Quarter February 2013
anhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

This would be my ranking of the Sigs on the dining plan based on food and atmosphere. (I left out Le Cellier, but I do like that restaurant.)

1. Narcoossee's - my favorite Signature. The food is excellent and the service is outstanding.
2. California Grill (about to undergo rehab)
3. Flying Fish
4. Artist Point
5. Jiko
6. Hollywood Brown Derby
7. Yachtsman
8. Citricos - good flavored food, but service was out of step with kitchen and slow. One entree arrived at the table cold and had to be sent back.

I have not been to: Wolf Gang Puck's Dining Room, Fulton's, or V&A.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
kanderson89
Mouseketeer

Food, glorious food.

We have been to several signatures, and the one we always want to return to is Jiko. Ingredients are pretty standard, but the spices and sauces are unique and flavors we don't get back home, so we like it a lot.

Also like Artist's Point, mostly for the salmon and berry cobbler. Was a very lovely meal.

Narcoosee's is ok, but I grew up on the water so am a bit of a snot when it comes to seafood and fish. It was good, and the view is cool, but nothing special for me.

Yachtsman's is good if you're a real carnivore and enjoy a good steak. Nothing you can't get at a decent steakhouse back home, so once was enough for us.

Brown Derby was ok. Partner loves the cobb salad and grapefruit cake, so we did the Fantasmic package. Was quite nice but once is enough.

Excited to try Citricos this trip!

WL - 2015
WL - 2014
WL - 2013
AKL - 2012
WL - 2011
WL - 2010
Ft Wilderness - as a kid in the 1970s
kanderson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Here are the ones we've done (man, we have so many more to try) in order of preference:
1- Jiko
2- Le Cellier
3- Brown Derby
4- Artist Point (My SIL recently went and thinks it's even more impressive then when we went with her in 2008, though she loved it then too but DH and I were not so impressed...she thinks we should try it again).

We also like the Luau and Hoop Dee Doo, but maybe not for an adult only trip...though it includes adult beverages, so maybe......
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: