Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Need help picking a value

So DH and I have some unused air travel funds that *have* to be used by 2/28... so I figured why not surprise him with a trip to Disney. We've had a rough year personally, and just had to cancel our big winter cruise trip (we take annually with our best friends) because our cat was diagnosed with cancer and his vet bills make Disney look cheap

That being said, I have access to a 40% off discount at the value resorts. We're going down for a quickie 4-day/3-night trip.

We could get Music or Sports for $222, or Pop Century for $244. The $22 difference certainly doesn't break the bank, but the thrifty/cheap/Dutch part of me says "well, that $22 could pay for lunch for 50% of your trip"

Music is my last choice option. I've stayed there twice before, and that's two too many times

If it makes a difference, DH has always wanted to stay at Pop, but this obviously won't be our last trip ever. He's also suggested staying at ASSP before when we travel for the marathon, so I know he would be happy with either choice.

I was originally looking at renting DVC points since the cost would be comparable to the spring room-only offer... but then miracle of miracles I got a discount offer! So I'm trying to re-adjust my line of thinking back to value and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

So sell me- Pop? All Star Sports? All Star Music?

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
DisneyFamily7
Disney Fanatic

When staying in value resorts in the past, we always stayed in All Star. Movies was our favorite. But since we are going in the summer this year during the crowded season, I decided to go Pop because they have their own busses. During the time of year you are traveling, it probably won't matter much, but for our trip, the bus siutation made my decision. It is crazy to me that all three all-star resorts share busses.
[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Disneyland 1987, Disneyland 1995, WDW 1996, WDW 1997 (All Star Music),Disneyland 1997 (Disneyland Hotel),WDW 1999 (All Star Movies), WDW 2001 (Port Orleans Riverside), WDW 2003 (Fort Wilderness), Disney Cruise 2005 (Disney Magic)/WDW 2005 (All Star Sports), Disneyland 2007 (Disneyland Hotel),WDW 2013 (Pop) Next trip: June 2014 Disneyland
DisneyFamily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

I loved The Little Mermaid rooms at the Art of Animation. It was a great resort. The Big Blue pool and its underwater speakers were really cool. The cars section was pretty immersive and cool. I will be staying there again for sure. Here are some videos I took during my stay:

Lobby video tour of Animation Hall: http://t.co/t3WfAuXh

Little Mermaid room: http://youtu.be/H1Gnima3Abg

Big Blue Pool: http://youtu.be/Sov9jQCmZoA

Cars wing and pool: http://youtu.be/bEHo_97ABwc
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the canuck View Post
I loved The Little Mermaid rooms at the Art of Animation. It was a great resort. The Big Blue pool and its underwater speakers were really cool. The cars section was pretty immersive and cool. I will be staying there again for sure. Here are some videos I took during my stay:

Lobby video tour of Animation Hall: http://t.co/t3WfAuXh

Little Mermaid room: http://youtu.be/H1Gnima3Abg

Big Blue Pool: http://youtu.be/Sov9jQCmZoA

Cars wing and pool: http://youtu.be/bEHo_97ABwc
Unfortunately the discount doesn't extend to AOA, otherwise that would have been my first choice

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

With all the cheerleading, twirling, etc. going on, I would stay wherever there is an opening. I think the weekend of Feb. 8-11 is pretty full (the cheerleaders are there at AS's and CB). I originally tried to book LM at AoA and was told no rooms were available. I got a good discount at Pop that weekend. (that was back in October). Good luck! I would try Pop if available.

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibelle View Post
With all the cheerleading, twirling, etc. going on, I would stay wherever there is an opening. I think the weekend of Feb. 8-11 is pretty full (the cheerleaders are there at AS's and CB). I originally tried to book LM at AoA and was told no rooms were available. I got a good discount at Pop that weekend. (that was back in October). Good luck! I would try Pop if available.
We're looking at the very end of February for that reason! Hoping to avoid most of the chaos!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie

Unfortunately the discount doesn't extend to AOA, otherwise that would have been my first choice
Dang! That's a bummer. I missed out on free dining by staying at AOA. I was a little disappointed when I booked but I do not regret my decision now. I loved it
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Gantu
Oh,,,,,blitznac!

DH and I stayed at Pop with out the kids and love it!

The bus service was the best out of all the hotels we stayed. We got to Epcot and DHS super fast.

The Food court was great and the staff was super nice!

We liked Pop beter the the WL.. but that's just us......

Have a great time!

11/09 WL ~ 5/11 SSW POP ~ 8/12 Disneyland / DCA
5/31-6/9/13 AOA- YC - POR

Trip to come!!!! I really won a trip to Disney World!
Gantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Stay at POP and ask for a lakeview room. Then it will feel a little more upscale. We had a great corner room in the 60s building with a view of the lake and AOA.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
mlittig
DIS Veteran

I would also recommend Pop and second getting a lake view room That is what I had, it was lovely and I could even see some Epcot fireworks I also think Pop has the best food court on property

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
If you stay at Pop you can walk over to AoA to check it out. I've stayed at ASMO twice and ASMU twice and they are both fine but I prefer Pop-have been there 6 times. I prefer the layout of the food court/gift shop at Pop compared to the All Stars.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

I say POP as well, it's so fun and Disney-esque. My parents went with us when we stayed at Pop a few years ago, then my mom surprised my dad the next year with a trip on their own and she booked a moderate. She said when they got there he was upset and wondered why they couldn't stay in Pop again

12/14 DLR ~ 2/13 Pop ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 Pop ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips to WDW & DLR
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Belle83
DIS Veteran

We're doing the same kind of trip in April (had to use plane tickets by a certain date, doing a quick last-min. trip and keeping it as cheap as possible). Pop was $55-ish more total for our 5 night stay than AS Music or Sports. I know it's not lots of $ but that's $ we could use for food. Ultimately we decided on Pop. It's newer, I like that it's on a lake and that I can walk over to check out AOA, and the buses are apparently better.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

So I played my DH last night. I told him I was looking to add a 1-night stay before our DVC stay in July. I asked him if he'd prefer ASSports or Music.

He got the saddest look in his eyes and said "But what about Pop?" I told him it was $100 more per night (he'll believe anything I say) and he said, "well, sports will work then".

I booked Pop, despite the (minuscule, $22) price difference. Can't wait to tell him at 10:00 the night before that we have to get in the car RIGHT NOW because we're going to Disney!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Good job!! He will love it. Nothing like doin' The Hustle in the lobby at 6 every night......I hope your feline family member recovers smoothly

Try and eat at AoA while you are there, their tandoori options are fantastic!!!!

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: