Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #31
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
I love the pictures! There are quite a few that stand out to me - great great photos. I can't wait for the day I can put a little more into my pics - I'm usually trying to snap a few before I'm chasing down a child!
Thank you so, so much! I really appreciate that.
And I know what you mean about trying to take pictures and be the mom at the same time. My kid is 19 and I still have troubles trying to get her to slow down so I can get a shot! Good luck!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmkc View Post
Great photos! You make me want to get a better camera for my next trip.
Thanks brother, but you know, it's not just the camera - it's the photographer!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #33
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGoofy View Post
I'm in!

Great pictures of the safari! It's always fun when the animals get thisclosetoyourvehicle!

I'm glad you liked CSR! We're trying it for the first time this May, so I'm happy to keep reading postive reviews.
Thank you! And Welcome

Even though I had done the safari ride several times on our last trip, this was the first time any animal had gotten up close and personal. It happened again later in the trip and I agree - super exciting! The way the ride changes every time makes me want to just ride it over and over again.

Like I've said, we did not give CSR the attention it deserved, but we loved it and definitely look forward to staying there again. I think you'll be glad you stayed there!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
pattyw
WDW- We luv u!!

I'm enjoying your TR! We were just at WDW 1/4-1/10 and stayed at CSR for part of the trip. We loooovve CSR!! The pool is our favorite! You must go back and stay there- DH and I love the pool slide! We're just a couple of kids at heart!

Looking forward to your next adventure!

(Me) (DH) (DS21) (DS17) (Jill) (Todd) (Riley)
WDW is our HAPPY PLACE!!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #35
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Dinosaur, Dug and a Mickey Bar

We talked about walking through the jungle trek or jumping on EE, but decided on Dinosaur! Hannah and I had been talking it up for months so Danny was anxious to check it out and of course H and I were ready. Its one of my top 3 rides so Im always ready to line up for that journey back in time.

It must have been just after 3 because we ran right into the Jingle Jungle parade. There was enough of a crowd gathered around that Danny couldnt really see, so he stayed back enough that he could get a view of the tops of the floats while H and I found a spot where we could see a bit through the crowd. We watched for a few minutes (and I snapped some photos), and then we were off.

It was a beautiful walk and we were happy to find, again, that the wait time was blessedly short. We headed into the standby line. There wasn't much of it and soon we were inside the main room.

I dont remember what Hannah was explaining to Danny at this point, but she was apparently pretty serious about it.

We took in the sights of the round room that Mrs Crosby calls quaint, and reminisced about the time we took a very young Hannah to see Sue, the giant dino they have in the middle of the room.

It's not so easy to take a picture of the movie, but here's my try.

When we got to the front of the line, the friendly CM who had been sending everyone to the right and down the stairs sent us to the left. She put us in an elevator, pushed a button and told us there would be someone to guide us when we got out. She was right. Another CM asked if Danny could transfer to the vehicle and had us wait near the cars on the opposite side of the people who had taken the stairs.

As you probably know, Dinosaur is a rough ride and we were a little worried it might be too jarring for Danny and might hurt his back. He was determined to give it a try though, so after we buckled in and tugged on our straps, we were off.

It was as much fun as I remembered. All the bounces and turns seemed wild that first ride of the trip, and every time Hannah or I screamed I could hear Danny laughing. Awesome. Of course the scary dino scared me and I remember shouting Abort! Abort! along with the crazy scientist who had sent us on this mission in the first place.

We passed up the ride photo since I didnt have my Plus card yet and I didnt realize I could have written down the number and claimed it when we got back, so I did the redneck version like everyone else. I love this picture so I'm sad I didn't get a real one. We're in the back.

We headed out happy and found Dannys scooter waiting for us. As we were headed away, one of Dannys friends called and like any good Disney fan, he said Im at Disney World, Ill call you when I get home!

We never entered this carnival/sideshow/whatever area, but I did kind of love this giant dino watching over it all.

He was really loving the mobility the scooter gave him at this point. Instead of struggling along and needing to stop after every block, he was mobile! There was no one around us, so he rushed off down the road in front of us and then circled back. He was like a kid in a candy store (or a kid at Disney World!). He saw a bird on the path and decided to chase after it. A couple minutes later he saw some kids doing the same thing and stopped to tell them that wasnt very nice. Hah! Hannah cracked up and that became one of her favorite moments of the trip. It really is the memories and the special moments that make a Disney vacation so fantastic.

We werent sure what to do next. Hannah wasnt in a big hurry to ride EE. We didnt want to see a show and nothing else was really close, so when we spotted an ice cream cart we decided to sit down and talk over our options with a treat!

Danny just wanted a Diet Coke, but H and I decided we really needed to share a Mickey bar. Oh my goodness! Now I understand why people love those things so much. The chocolate was so thick and delicious. The ice cream was so dense and creamy! We were in love.

This is when I started to hate the My Disney Experience app. First it could not figure out where we were at all. When I found it myself, I could see all the drawings of the buildings around us from a birds eye view, but none of them were labeled in any way and therefore completely unhelpful. I could touch them to see the label, but it was so slow that was taking forever. I just wanted a quick overview and longingly remembered an app we had in 2010 on the iPhone that showed the map, the labels, and the wait time all in one glance (sadly I dont remember its name). I was grateful Danny had thought to pick up an old fashioned paper map and we consulted it to find our way to meet our favorite Disney dog, Dug!

I still managed to get a little confused and we walked in a little circle before finding our way. We took our time to enjoy the amazing scenery that makes the AK so special.

I seriously love Dug, so I was so excited to meet him for the first time. This is me waiting to meet him.

There was a bit of a line - mostly little kids of course - but I did not mind waiting at all. I did mind a little that Dug and Russell did not have a Photopass photographer though. Whats up with characters without Photopass photographers? I thought that was the whole point of photopass. Luckily Hannah does not like to meet or have her photo taken with characters, so I handed the camera over to her. When it was our turn I went up first to tell Dug what a good dog he was and give him a scratch behind the ear.

Dug, signing some lucky kid's autograph book.

My pants are rolled up because it was so hot that day.

I felt a little bad for kind of ignoring Russell, but theres just no competition there.

After a minute or two, Danny came up to join us. I was pleased he enjoyed meeting characters almost as much as I did!

We said goodbye to the best dog in the AK and started walking/riding. At that point it was getting late and the sun was starting to set. We were nearing the front of the park and we figured it was a good time to head over to Epcot and beat the crowds at closing time.

As we were leaving a huge flock of birds flew over our heads. This picture fails to capture the moment but we all (and everyone around us) stopped in our tracks to stand still and watch.

We headed for the bus stops and found the queue for the Epcot bus. When it came we werent exactly sure we were doing the whole scooter on a bus thing right, but the driver (who had CP himself) was super helpful and taught us the ins and outs of waiting and loading. In just a few minutes, we were off to Dannys favorite park - the Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow!

Next: After dark at Epcot.

Last edited by dawnmichele; 01-26-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #36
gracer9977
Happiness is Disney

So happy to hear about your experiences. Love that Danny was having so much fun on his scooter, especially the part about him chasing the bird.

Great pictures. I just love AK, the rides and just the whole park itself. Hopefully we can meet Dug and Russell when we go next year. They didn't have them when we were there in 2011.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #37
murmkc
Mouseketeer

One of those Mickey bars would be so good right now!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #38
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

After dark at Epcot

It was dark by the time we got to Epcot. We got off the bus and started the long, long walk to the entrance. Why is it so far from the bus stops to the the good part of Epcot? And is it really or does it just seem that way? We were bagless (I love it when we can go bagless!) so once we made it to the entrance we waltzed right in.

Of course I had us stop for a family photo in front of the giant golf ball of love!!

I had to snap this shot of the excellent Thumper and Flower topiaries as we were still on the way to the good part. Bambi is one of my favorite Disney movies, and Ive loved those two since I was a tiny girl.
Thumper with his If you cant say something nice, dont say nothin at all and Flower with He can call me flower, if he wants ta. Love them

I can not believe I didnt take a thousand shots of Spaceship Earth up close. I love the ball and I love the ride. I think seeing it for the first time is almost as good as your first glance at the castle in the Magic Kingdom!

I just took this one.

There wasnt much of a line so we decided to ride it right then. We tried to get in the regular line but they sent us around to the wheelchair entrance at the side of the building.

Someone met us at the door and led us to an area by the rides exit. We parked the scooter and had a seat with some other people while we waited for another CM to come fetch us. When he came, he led us up the exit ramp and to another waiting area where we stood until we were instructed to climb in a car. Danny and I sat in the front seat and Hannah hopped in the back.

The ride was fantastic as always. I love history and this ride is chuck full of it. Hannah thought she hated it but decided it wasnt as bad as she remembered. What she really hates is the cheesy video of your future at the end, but since she was riding in the back by herself she just skipped it. Since Id done it several times (I like it) on our last trip, I let Danny make all the decisions. I wasnt surprised that he chose pretty much the opposite of what I would.

Us in our car of the future.

Im just watching because I hate playing checkers.

Us floating in space.

We were hungry again at this point, so we walked towards the World Showcase where they keep all the best Disney food. I was trying to take in all the lovely sights of Disney after dark, but sadly no one else wanted to go slowly enough for me to take pictures!

This is the best shot I got of the amazingly dancing fountains of another color.

Danny wanted Mexican food, so we stopped at the Cantina de San Angel. It was crazy crowded so I left Danny and Hannah and got in line to grab some tacos. It was a crazy line and took quite a while. I headed back and carried his tray as we walked further around the world looking for more food. We had decided to each get what we wanted and find a central table somewhere to eat it all together.

I knew what I wanted, but Hannah wasnt sure. Probably because I had spent crazy amounts of time reading menus online and she had not. She thought she might want something Asian at first but then decided since she could get that at home all the time she wanted to try something new. I pulled out my phone and read her a list of which countries had what. She chose crepes from France.

I had been headed to Morocco. I wanted to eat at the Tangerine Cafe on our last trip but didnt get the chance so this time I was determined. We walked up and Danny settled at a table outside with his tray of tacos. Hannah headed over to France and I headed inside.

The line was pretty long. I had plenty of time to make up my mind, but already knew I was going to order the Chicken Shawarma platter. I had thought of it every time I played Sims 3 and had my Sim make herself the shawarma, and every time I thought over the Disney food. I aked them to hold the tabouleh and double the hummus which was no problem. While I was standing there I decided to go wild and add on a side of olives because why not! Finally they made my food, I paid them their money but then I still had to stand there and wait for my drink - which was sitting there waiting for someone to hand it to me. Eventually I asked for it and headed to my table and my family.

By the time I got there, Hannah had not only gotten her crepes but she and Danny were both finished eating. Hannah wanted to go back to our room right then for some reason so we let her, with strict instructions to text us when she made it there. Danny told me to take my time, so I did.

It was so, so good. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite. Its a lot of food though and I couldnt quite finish all the olives. I went back inside to see if I could get a lid but they put them in a drink cup instead. Fine by me. (I put them in the fridge that night and never did finish them .)

Danny and I walked the rest of the way around the world and back through Future World.

I took this picture of Pluto and his house,

and we posed for another photopass picture.

Epcot was closing at 9:30 that night and it was 8:30 when we were walking out. Not bad considering Id woken up far before the break of dawn! Hannah texted us when we were on the bus - she made it back to the resort slightly before we did.

When I learned wed be staying at CSR, of course I checked it out online. It looked beautiful, but my favorite part was probably this long fountain somewhere between two buildings. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that fountain was right outside the door to our room (well, and down a floor)!!

It was beautiful, especially at night. Every night I swore I was going to go down and take many photos of it the next day -- but sadly I never did. This is the best I ever got.

Back in our room, we unpacked and got ready for bed.

We turned the table between our beds into our charging station.

I turned Stacey onto the TV (hooray!) and let her tell us all about the magic of Disney until we were ready to turn everything off and sleep until our 6am wake up call.

Next up: The start of a Fantastic day!

Last edited by dawnmichele; 01-31-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #39
murmkc
Mouseketeer

i just finished an awesome dinner.. and this made me hungry for Disney food!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #40
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyw View Post
We loooovve CSR!! The pool is our favorite! You must go back and stay there
First - Welcome and thanks for joining in and saying hi!

I so hope we do get to stay there again! And I can't believe we didn't try the pool. We've been to Chichen Itza in Mexico and were all excited to compare and reminisce. The main problem with Disney World is that there is so much to do. I think I need to go there and stay for a month!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #41
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer9977 View Post
So happy to hear about your experiences. Love that Danny was having so much fun on his scooter, especially the part about him chasing the bird.
It really was awesome to see him feel so free. I seriously recommend a Disney trip for anyone with health or mobility issues - they really work hard to accomodate everyone. It's great.

Hannah still likes to work "Now that's not very nice," into the conversation whenever she can. I swear it was one of the highlights of the trip for them both!

Also, thanks for the compliment about the pictures !
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #42
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your trip! More, please ...
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (3); 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2014: GFV & OKW - Sept; SSR & OKW - December
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #43
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea
I'm enjoying your trip! More, please ...
Thank you SusieBea! I had intended to post the next instalment last night, but then I watched some Doctor Who that made me way too sad. It'll be up later today though, promise.

Last edited by dawnmichele; 01-31-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #44
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

The start of a fantastic day.

It is very hard to judge such things, but I think this day may have been my favorite of our entire fantastic trip. For many reasons, all of which I hope I do justice in this report!

I woke up bright and early when I got a call from Mickey and that ornery Stitch. I put the call on speakerphone to share the fun and jumped out of bed. Hannah and I wanted to make it to the bus stop by 7am. It was Dannys day to work (sorry Danny). He didnt need to be anywhere till 8, but he was ready to wake up with us and take his time getting ready.

As became a habit (or better yet, a tradition), I turned on Stacey to 1. revel in Disney overload and 2. encourage the girl to get up and out of bed. She does not enjoy Stacey (what??), so it annoyed her into getting up. Win/win situation.

We got ready quickly, I grabbed a Cliff bar and a soda and we headed out for bus stop #2.

From a distance we could see a bus pulling up. We could tell the bus said Something Kingdom, but not if it was Animal or Magic. Hannah decided to run for it and saw it was for the Animal Kingdom. Love that park but not today! No problem though, the next bus that pulled up was for the right place. We hopped right on.

I was super excited. Im not sure that the Magic Kingdom is my favorite park, but it is certainly the most magical of the four. Plus the Fantasy Land expansion had just opened and I could not wait to see it for myself, up close and personal.

Hannah was not having such a good time, however. She was on antibiotics at the time, and even though the doctor had warned her shed have problems if she didnt drink a whole glass of water with the pill -- she did not drink a whole glass of water with her pill. So she was having problems. Its a long ride from CSR to the MK but there was nothing we could do to make it better but wait.

When we got there, I stood in the middle of the crowd waiting for the opening show and sent H off to where I thought she might get some water. I told her Id wait right there until she got back. Off to the right near the stroller rentals she found a little shop. They werent quite open yet, but told her they could be if she needed them to be. Nice. Before the show even started she was by my side chugging a whole bottle of water.

The show was fantastic.

I was so excited to see a train full of Disney characters waving good morning to me.

The fireworks exploded and the Mayor welcomed us in!

On the bus there, H & I had a long talk about breakfast. Somehow, in all the months leading up to our trip and all the many conversations we had about food, restuarants, reservations and groceries from wegoshop, Hannah missed all the times we talked about eating breakfast in the room to save money and more importantly, time. She was certain she had to have a real, hot breakfast every single morning. She thought wed get there and eat, and I thought wed get there, take our time checking out the thrill of our first glimpse of Main St.

We came to a compromise. Id let her get breakfast every morning, and she would participate in every photo opportunity without grumble or complaint. She hates having her picture taken, and I wanted to get our moneys worth out of our pre purchased PhotoPass+. Another win/win for us.

I told her where to find Main Street Cafe and told her Id meet her there soon.

I cant even think of the words to describe how it is the first time youre back in the Magic Kingdom, but I know you know what Im talking about. Its all beautiful and magical and full of excitement and promise. I really plan to spend quite some time taking it all in on some trip, but sadly this wasnt the trip for that.

I took one photo, and then headed into the theatre to exchange my voucher for a photopass card. The lady who gave it to me was excited for me and told me to show it to any photographer and theyd be sure to take a bunch of photos for us since they knew wed already purchased the package. That didnt turn out to be totally true, and I wonder how much was about the individual photographer and how much was about the pre paid pass - but either way we came back with hundreds of pictures in our account so I am not complaining.

I walked down the street to the bakery and found Hannah having a croissant with some kind of meat and eggs.

I had been thinking of their cheese danish since our last trip, so I got in line for a one of those and a iced vanilla latte. The people in front of me, a family of 5, did not understand their dining plan and spent a really really long time trying to decide what drinks they wanted. A really long time. Even though there were a bunch of drink workers standing around, no one asked what i wanted until all 5 of them had chosen and changed their minds and rechosen. When I got my coffee I headed straight for the cashier that the family wasn't in.

Now that H was full and feeling better (and Id had a tasty treat), we headed back to front so I could meet some friends! Marie was at the tree, Snow White was under her apple tree, and Mary Poppins was over by some shops. Plus the Princesses, Mickey and Minnie were all waiting just inside. How could I choose who to meet first? I got in line for Marie. A minute later, when she went inside for a treat, I thought about bailing and heading for Mary Poppins, but H convinced me to stay. She was back soon and it was my turn to meet her.

She didnt have a photopass photographer, so H took the pictures for me.

Snow White had gone inside by the time we were done, so we headed off to find Mary Poppins.

She was practically perfect in every way, just like Id hoped. She asked where I was from and if Id travelled by my umbrella. I told her I thought that was a special skill but she clued me in that its really about finding the right umbrella. Thanks for the tip, Mary Poppins!

After that, we headed inside to meet the princesses.

Rapunzel was the first princess we came to. She was super friendly, but really low energy and just kind of.. I dont know. Not really like the princess in Tangled. We liked her, but called her Hangover Rapunzel. She just seemed like she had a rough night. Hannah asked her if Pascal still lived in the tower or liked to stay with her and Eugene in the castle, and Rapunzel told her about how they were moving her castle to the Magic Kingdom. I hadnt mentioned the castle to Hannah (I wanted her to discover at least a few things on her own) and she definitely thought finding out about it from Rapunzel herself was the best way to find out.

Aurora wasnt very friendly. She was smiley, but she didnt really say anything. Maybe she was hungover too.

Cinderella was fantastic! You have my face on your shirt! she said. She asked if my fairy godmother did it for me and wondered if she could get hers to make on for her. Or better yet make one for Prince Phillip. But his would have to be read, she figured. He likes to wear red.

She was delightful and as we were walking away I told her she should definitely get her godmother on the shirt thing.

Next up: Heading toward the castle.

Last edited by dawnmichele; 02-01-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #45
gracer9977
Happiness is Disney

Loving all the pictures!!! Also great the way you got Hannah to agree to not complain about getting her picture taken.

When we go in 2014 I am totally making sure that I get my picture taken with a bunch of characters. Last time I was so focused on getting great pictures of my kids and my nieces with all the characters I forgot to get any with me. All I have is one picture of me with Eeyore (I love Eeyore) but really I totally missed out on the photo ops. I am planning on buying the Photopass package this time, seems like it would totally be worth the money.

Tags
disabilities, nikon d5100, photo pass plus, photos, stuck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: