Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #61
Sunny37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DopeyFan View Post
I'm the mean Mom...my kids have to try everything at least once, if they don't like it, they don't ever have to do it again until they decide they want to.
I was the same way when my boys were younger...my 25 year old still won't get back on TOT.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #62
#1DopeyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I'm sure that makes all the innocent bystanders whose ears are still ringing from the screaming and crying feel MUCH better.
Seriously? PP never said anything about her child SCREAMING, big difference. Plus, I'm VERY sure it will not be the only crying child you see the entire time you are at WDW...if you don't like kids, who all cry at times, don't vacation at WDW or eat at McDonald's or play at the park, etc.
September 2005 ~ Coronado Springs *** February 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge
May 2004 ~ Pop Century *** Dec. 2003 ~ Yacht Club
Jan. 2003 ~ Coronado Springs *** June 2002 ~ Off Site
Jan. 2002 ~ Off Site *** Aug. 2001 ~ All Star Movies
Jan. 1998 ~ Off Site *** Jan. 1995 ~ Off Site
#1DopeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #63
#1DopeyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny37 View Post
I was the same way when my boys were younger...my 25 year old still won't get back on TOT.
Funny you say ToT...that's the same way it was for my now 14yo DS. I made him try it when he was 3yo, he didn't like it...tried it again the next trip, still didn't like it. He didn't go on it again until this most recent trip in August, I bet he rode it at least 12-14 times while we were there.
September 2005 ~ Coronado Springs *** February 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge
May 2004 ~ Pop Century *** Dec. 2003 ~ Yacht Club
Jan. 2003 ~ Coronado Springs *** June 2002 ~ Off Site
Jan. 2002 ~ Off Site *** Aug. 2001 ~ All Star Movies
Jan. 1998 ~ Off Site *** Jan. 1995 ~ Off Site
#1DopeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #64
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

yes, i will totally try bribery but if he doesn't want to, I won't force him. I haven't rode HM in a looooong time (because both times we went recently, I sat out with him!) so I didn't know if there was anything specific I could tell him about how non-scary it was. I only vaguely recall what it was like, lol.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - CSR?*
TJDisneymama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #65
DorianDonP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I'm sure that makes all the innocent bystanders whose ears are still ringing from the screaming and crying feel MUCH better.
Kids cry constantly, whether they are in line for a ride they are nervous about or wanting a toy that their parent isn't going to buy, or just tired of walking in the hot sun all day. It sort of comes with the territory.
DorianDonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #66
finbait
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki7680 View Post
I NEVER said my kid was SCREAMING. You know, I thought this board was a way to help people who want to travel to Disney. 8 out of 10 times though, it seems to just be a board for snobs to make people feel like crap. Excuse me for not having perfect children who behave like angels 24/7. And if you don't like listening to whining, crying kids, maybe Disney isn't the best place to take your family on vacation.
OMGosh I so agree! I usually am only on here when I have a trip coming up. But it seems that lately, every single thread is a "hot topic" and someone is always putting someone else's parenting style down!

Remember, we must always believe in our wishes, for they are the magic in the world.
Now, let's all put our hearts together, and make a wish come true. Blue Fairy

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might,have the wish, I wish tonight.
We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,and all our wishes,will come true.

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
They're shining deep down inside of you.
'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives Jiminy

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/5v4dqfx4k1hknow6.png[/img]

Me Planner of our Magic!
Dh Provider of our Magic!
DD 9 Helps Plan our Magic!
DS 6 Enjoys all the Magic!
finbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #67
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

When we were on our last trip, we probably received a lot of side eyes for people for taking our unwilling/screaming child on rides "he didn't want to be on." He was just shy of three and in the middle of his "NO" phase. He was saying no to everything. So, we just dragged him on anyway. He didn't scream through any actual rides, although he did sit there and pout a lot and then claimed that he didn't like any of them when we were done.

Of course, ever since we've been home he sings "Under The Sea" constantly and talks about how POTC is his favorite ride. To hear him talk about it, he had the most magical vacation EVER. Kids.

Anyway, to the OP...for our older child, who is half way reasonable, we just explain the rides to her and let her decide. There's really nothing that I want to force them to go on, and certainly not before they're ready. My husband isn't a thrill rider and I don't mind riding alone, so he just takes the kids to do things while I ride some of the bigger rides. Our daughter generally has a hard time working up the courage to try new things, so we do encourage her to try rides just to get her out of her comfort zone. But I'm not going to force it. She'll be ready for all the rides one day, and if not, I'm sure Daredevil Child #2 who was Mr. No the last trip will be ready to roll as soon as he's tall enough!
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #68
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
Agreed. I was forced on Space Mountain when I was nine. I got sick, and I've never gotten over my fear of roller coasters or other "scary" rides. I don't think it's right to force a child to go on a ride (and I know the OP wasn't suggesting this at all!)
Space Mountain was the only bad memory of our last trip. I had gone on Space Mountain during a post-college trip 15+ years ago, but hadn't gone on it since. I really didn't remember anything about it, other than it was an indoor roller coaster that's in the dark, and I remember thinking that it was a lot of hype because I didn't remember it being that bad. I told my daughter (6) it was like flying through space, and she's totally into space so she wanted to try it. OMG, it was so much worse than I remembered! I felt so awful because we were both totally traumatized. It's so dark, and so jerky, and you have to ride alone...my poor little baby. She was so scared, and I was so mad at myself for not trying it alone first and just relying on memory. I had a bruise on my arm for the rest of the week from reaching back and trying to hold onto her. Ugh.

She did recover and had no problems on rides for the rest of the week, but I still felt awful, and we've both declared we will never do Space Mountain again. In retrospect, on that post-college trip we went to Islands of Adventure, which was in soft opening, and rode both Dueling Dragons and the Hulk, so of course Space Mountain was going to see tame in comparison.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #69
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

Tell him about this girl

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3047466

And that maybe if he rides Haunted Mansion he might be able to see something more exciting than just the ride...
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #70
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I had and still have the same problem with my DS15. He finally tried HM when he was 10 but DH had to take him out before the stretching room. DS11 has rode it since he was 3. Every kid is different.
He finally went on it I think the following year. It is now one of his favorites (go figure ???) He rode it over and over last year while we were on Splash. He is deathly afraid of heights. We use to force him on rides and tell him if he didn't like it he didn't have to go again. That has worked pretty well. We now know he is afraid of rides with heights and doesn't like fast coasters.
The rest of us like the thrill rides so he sits them out or looks in a shop and waits for us.
So I think, try to get him try it each time eventually he will, but accept it if he doesn't want to do it again.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
ddluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #71
KittyyKattyy
**Mythical Beast**

First time I went on HM I was five, and I cried and plugged my ears and covered my face the WHOLE time. Then when I was 11, I went with my aunts, and they (forced is the wrong word) kinda expected me to ride. I was nervous, and was almost crying when we borded our doom buggy. After the skeleton opening the coffin, (which my aunt told me not to look at, and I only know what it is because I asked after we rode) I was fine. My aunt bought me a HM pin as a reward for riding it.

KittyyKattyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #72
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
it' s maddening to me that ODS (9.5) WILL not give Haunted
mansion a try. refuses! thinks it will be too scary. he goes on just about everything else and his irrational fear of HM drives me crazy. his 3.5 y.o. sister went on and that didnt even sway him. ive showed him videos of the ride but theyre mostly pretty dark which doesnt help much. how can i convince him to go on it?
Add a "1" onto the age of your child and then switch the young man to a friend of yours. Would you "force" that person onto Haunted Mansion? I highly doubt it.

Why is it adults think they know what is best for a child when a child is adamant about one thing? It's not like this kid doesn't want to do anything at Disney World - it's one freaking attraction!

I can't imagine that kid walking around Magic Kingdom thinking "darn it, mom is going to pester me about going on the Haunted Mansion" all day long. Instead, he should be thinking "I'm going to enjoy my day because I don't have to do Haunted Mansion unless I want."

Now, compare that to something you dread doing and see how you feel about it.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #73
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I'm not going to debate right or wrong.. simply share what we do and works for us. We don't force. We do try to reason, and in fact just did so at dinner. Ds loves Space Mountain but is scared to try Rockin' Rollercoaster. We explained what is similar and what is different but I don't think he will try it this time.'

DD and I hate Tower of Terror and will likely never ride it again. We still have a wonderful trip and don't feel like we're missing out. If they were refusing to ride anything then I would rethink where we were spending our vacations. I don't force my kids to do a themepark ride. They are optional amusement to me and if they are terrified that kind of kills the amusement part. That's just what works for us.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #74
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

The first time I went to WDW I was 8, and scared of a lot of things. But I ended up riding everything. My parents never forced me to ride, but they told me that if I didn't ride I'd never know what I was missing out on, and I could only really know if I liked a ride or not by experiencing it. They said I didn't have to if I really didn't want to, but they thought I'd enjoy it if I did. The idea of not knowing what I was missing seemed to intrigue me enough to try all the rides, and I'm glad I did, because I loved them all and I'm now a fearless rider. But not every kid will try the rides and like them, some just really aren't thrill seekers.

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip
rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #75
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP View Post
Kids cry constantly, whether they are in line for a ride they are nervous about or wanting a toy that their parent isn't going to buy, or just tired of walking in the hot sun all day. It sort of comes with the territory.
Not in my experience. Chacun a sa gout, but that seems like a really sad, defeatist outlook to me. I think most kids are a lot more capable than you're giving them credit for.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: