Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #31
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

I let my children (in past) see certain rides on you tube....that way, they kinda know what to expect. Luckily..my kids are go getters. They love WDW/DLR and also any theme park...so..they will ride whatever. That make things nice.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #32
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

dont worry, i' d never force him!

that breaks my heart thinking aboute a kid being dragged on a ride, crying.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - CSR?*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #33
married2mm
DIS Veteran

whether young or old,if someone doesn't want to ride,just go with it.

my son and I are both ride wimps,we have tried some rides-found out we either will return to or won't go on again- others won't touch with a bargepole!

in a water park once,dh was definitely not impressed we wouldn't go on some rides. we finally agreed,begrudgingly,to go down a flume ride. climbed the steps,but then could not go through with it,and dh stopped the pressure when he saw we were both so uncomfortable.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #34
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

I have had to force ds11 to ride a few things that I knew he would like and there are still several things he hasn't dkne because I knew he wouldn't like them or I wasn't sure. With the exception of Splash Mountain I was always right - he just can't get past that drop. But I knew he would be ok at Muppets, Little Mermaid, the Figment Ride, BTMRR, Star Tours (his fav ride), Soarin and a few others. He hasn't yet ridden ToT, RnRC, EE, Primevil Whirl or Dinosaur and he probably won't be. His little sister has ridden all of those since she was 5 and he just takes the chicken exit and waits for us.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #35
RalphinSC
Founder of the Daft Brotherhood of the Ubiquitous Mugshare

Bribery worked for my DS. He really wanted an expensive set from the lego shop at DTD, so we agreed that it was his as long as he faced his misgivings and gave the ride a try.

He wasn't forced at all, but he set his own conditions and motivation to prod him into trying new things. And after being a little overly afraid the first time through, he really settled in a enjoyed it. This worked for ToT and Dinosaur as well. These were the three rides he was too scared to try on his first Disney trip and they are all now rides he will go on without hesitation.

But the key here is that you know your own kid. Mine just neededa self-prescribed nudge. MY father took me on a lot of big roller-coasters when I was a child against my will. IT took until I hit 30 for me to get over the experience and give it another try. This also was the same parenting that thought they could teach me how to swim by throwing me in the lake when I was 4. After having to be rescued from drowning, I still will not swim in water I cannot see the bottom in and didn't learn how to swim properly until I was 15.

Myself 35 , DW 33 , DS 10

March 2011 ASMo
June 2012 Pop Century
June 2014 Bringing extended family Pop Century

My Family of the Day Experience With Pictures 6/8/2012:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2939320
My Little Guy's Disney Surprise http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933866
RalphinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #36
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Let him be.He will ride when ready.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #37
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri
Let him be.He will ride when ready.
I agree... When they are ready , they will be fine...what's the big deal in not riding...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #38
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies

You can always split up. When our boys were younger, DH and would frequently take turns going on rides alone. Now we might split up and each take a boy on different rides. We still do plenty of things all together, so it's not a problem to mix things up a few times a day.
I don't think it's fair to make someone wait around for an hour while I'm enjoying myself.
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #39
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post
There are HM ride videos on u-tube. Try watching one of those together. Talk with him about the ride and what his fears might be. You never know maybe a child at school told him stuff that was not accurate about the attraction. I would certainly talk to a CM and skip the elevator part at the beginning of the ride. So many people scream LOL and act like idiots which could end up undoing any good work you might have done with watching the video and talking about ride.

Good luck--

Please do not push him to ride HM there is a reason he is worried. Oh one more thing there is a movie about the HM -- sort of funny actually. This might make him a bit curious. OK again Good Luck

this is what we did with my daughter (6). after she watched the ride video for Splash Mountain and BTMR, she rode both. She did not like the ToT or Dinosaur videos so we have not put her on it. We did drag her on PoTC and HM. She hates HM so we dont make her ride anymore. My wife dragged her on Star Tours in March and she ended up liking it and had no problem riding with me this December.

My 2 year old is completely different, loves HM and would probably ride everything if he was tall enough.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #40
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
it' s maddening to me that ODS (9.5) WILL not give Haunted
mansion a try. refuses! thinks it will be too scary. he goes on just about everything else and his irrational fear of HM drives me crazy. his 3.5 y.o. sister went on and that didnt even sway him. ive showed him videos of the ride but theyre mostly pretty dark which doesnt help much. how can i convince him to go on it?
They will ride everything at their own pace. Both of my children are very cautious about rides. It took my DS until 10 to ride everything and now he loves them all. DD wouldn't go on HM at all until she was 9 and her first ride was at the Halloween party when it is all done up to be even more scary and loves it now.

When he is ready he'll let you know. I wouldn't force him, that will just make him dislike it.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #41
kstgelais4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Fan View Post
I don't think it's fair to make someone wait around for an hour while I'm enjoying myself.
As a parent of a child to young to ride quite a few attractions for the past 13 years, I will speak for the person you quoted in response to this...
I have NEVER made the other kids "wait around" while myself, dh, or the other kids rode something that they either couldn't ride or wouldn't ride. The beauty of Disney is that it is made for kids of all ages. The person "waiting around" wasn't necessarily sitting on their rear for an hour while the others rode. There were ice cream treats to be had, cupcakes to be eaten, playgrounds to play in, or even other enjoyable rides to ride on! My 2 year old and I rode IASW 5 times in a row while my DH took the others on BTMRR. I would never had chosen to go on IASW at all let alone 5 times, but my dd was in heaven and we made great memories. Her smile will last a lifetime. I don't know why anyone would just wait outside when the world is at your fingertips
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #42
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDad1257 View Post
I was one of those kids that got pushed onto a ride by my dad. When I was 7 my dad tricked me into going on BTMRR. He told me that it was a nice little train ride and I basically screamed my head off for the whole thing.
Almost the same thing happened to me but it was a different theme park and a worse coaster!

I don't see why people want to push their kids into doing rides they don't want to do, especially something like Haunted Mansion. If it's the only ride he won't go on, it might just be him. If he didn't want to the Carousel or something similar, that's different. Even then, he should have the choice. Why force him into doing something he doesn't want to do?

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #43
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleeH View Post
A theme park ride is not worth making my child worry for one single minute.
Exactly! We stood in a long line for ToT right behind a couple with a young daughter who was terrified and crying her eyes out at the prospect of going on it. She kept begging her parents not to have to ride, but they kept telling her how she was going to "love it." Even if she did, it wasn't worth making her go through THAT to find out. Geesh!

Last edited by GovieMom; 01-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #44
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovieMom View Post
Exactly! We stood in a long line for TT right behind a couple with a young daughter who was terrified and crying her eyes out at the prospect of going on it. She kept begging her parents not to have to ride, but they kept telling her how she was going to "love it." Even if she did, it wasn't worth making her go through THAT to find out. Geesh!
I've seen this so often! A child is terrified and the parents are grumbling "I've paid $xxx for this holiday and we're going to go on every ride as can!" Sadly I've seen so many children crying and screaming after getting off certain rides too.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #45
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

I remember that as a second grader (same age as OP) and being afraid of and refusing to ride the HM. I sat out with my Nanny when my little sister and family rode the ride.

I have since ridden it 10+ times, and have no fear of rides. He'll get there eventually...don't push it.

DS7 has no fear of roller coasters/thrill rides (we have season passes to Kings Island) but is fearful of most enclosed rides (can't see what is going to happen). This was because he freaked out when he was young at Prince Caspian. Seriously, it took some MAJOR talking to get him to ride Nemo when he was 6yo. This year I proposed that he try a new ride that he might be nervous about, Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, TOT...he picked Dinosaur to try out. Now if he changes his mind, no worries. He'll get there eventually ; )
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: