Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

how to convince kids who refuse to try a ride

it' s maddening to me that ODS (9.5) WILL not give Haunted
mansion a try. refuses! thinks it will be too scary. he goes on just about everything else and his irrational fear of HM drives me crazy. his 3.5 y.o. sister went on and that didnt even sway him. ive showed him videos of the ride but theyre mostly pretty dark which doesnt help much. how can i convince him to go on it?
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - CSR?*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
mmeb144

My husband KNOWS I'm a Disney Maniac
MM is the coolest!

Leave him be. My DD, who is 18 now, didn't ride HM until she was 15. There's a nice porch that she waited for the rest of us to exit the ride. Her cousin finally talked her into it. We'd been telling her about the ride for years, but we couldn't convince her. Your ODS will be ready when he is ready.

Mar '87 Offsite, Mar '89 Contemporary, Sept '91 CBR, Mar '92 Dolphin, Sept '97 Polynesian, Dec '00 CBR, May '03 CBR, Jan '04 WL, Oct '04 POFQ, Feb '05 WL, Dec '05 Contemporary, Feb '07 POFQ, Dec '07 CBR, June '08 Disneyland, Nov '08 Buena Vista Suites, Dec '09 CSR, Dec '10 POFQ, June '12 POFQ, Dec '13 Caribe Royale/POFQ, May '14 ASMusic
mmeb144 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
mansion a try. refuses! thinks it will be too scary. he goes on just about everything else and his irrational fear of HM drives me crazy. his 3.5 y.o. sister went on and that didnt even sway him. ive showed him videos of the ride but theyre mostly pretty dark which doesnt help much. how can i convince him to go on it?
My DD refused to go on POTC -- simply refused, even though I know her and I knew she loved it. It was a cast member at the ride that convinced her to give it a try -- he even took us back to look at the ride so she'd know exactly what to expect. And yes, it's one of her favourite rides -- she did it 3 times in a row that night.

For HM, the CMs act very morbid because they have to, and the whole entrance part (especially the waiting room) can be pretty scary compared to the rest of the ride, which is mostly fun. However, the wheelchair entrance bypasses that scary part, so I'd think if you ask the CM for help they might be able to hook you up and calm him down a bit. They would probably drop the creepy act if that would work too.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Agree. It's not about you. If he rides most other things and just does not want to do this one....let it go. Maybe the grave yard or just the whole setting truly give him the creeps! My DS6 hates the HM. He went on it once when he was younger and refuses to do it again. That's ok with me. His choice.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

the weirdest part is he LOVES anything to do with haunted houses -- toys, books, tv shows, etc. and anything "creepy" in general - he loves!

he never even made into the front room so he has no idea about its creepiness level.......his favorite ride of all is ToT and i think thats pretty darn creepy!
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - CSR?*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeb144 View Post
Leave him be. Your ODS will be ready when he is ready.
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
I'm with you. I've got. 9.5 year old who is scared to death of it. Even though he's been on it like 5 or 6 times. He actually refers to it as the terror ride. I usually go with bribery. If that doesn't work he rides the "white bench ride" outside the HM while we ride.

I source of my irritation is because we allow him to play scary video games like black ops and resident evil and he doesn't blink an eye. But put a 50 year old musty robot in his face and he poops his pants.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Donna in NJ
Mouseketeer

Fears are very real to the person that has them. I am terrified of heights. There are several rides I refuse to try. My husband use to get very upset I would not go on the rides with him. I felt when he got mad that he had no regard for my feelings. I wanted so bad to make myself go on the rides with him. I final asked what one ride he wanted me to go on with him. He choose Everest. I was so scared I had an asthma attack. My husband finally realized it was not just me being stubborned. We now bring cell phones and I look around and he calls me when the ride is over and we do things together. If the ride has a photo screen I wait there and enjoy seeing him on the ride. I use to feel sad and bullied, now we both have a great vacation. Is always plenty of other things to do.
Donna in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Leave him be. . Your ODS will be ready when he is ready.
Exactly. You said it perfectly.

If he is afraid, why would you push him to do something he doesn't want to do. Books, toys, tv shows are likely a lot less real to him. It shouldn't be that big a deal to you. I'd let him be, too.
Salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Yep. Leave him alone. He'll ride it when he's ready...or not. Either way.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
tessa67
Mouseketeer

I agree, don't force him. I think it is important to respect a child's innate sense of fear and not try to override it. That "feeling" is what keeps us safe in all kinds of situations and you don't want him to think he shouldn't listen to his inner voice.
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Ask him to name his price. Agree to it. Honor it.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Leave him be. Your ODS will be ready when he is ready.
Simply put. And the best advice there is. I pushed one of my children to ride HM before she was ready and she got on the ride without a fuss. And couldn't bring herself to get on it again for 15 years! I felt like the worst mother in the entire world. From the voice of experience- do not do what I did.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Wait for peer (sibling) pressure to kick in all on its own. Eventually he'll probably reach a point where he's embarrassed to have his little sister ride but not him. He might be a teenager by then, but who cares.

One of mine was very late to start thrill rides. He's just a very cautious sort. He loves them now.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
DisneyDad1257
Earning My Ears

I was one of those kids that got pushed onto a ride by my dad. When I was 7 my dad tricked me into going on BTMRR. He told me that it was a nice little train ride and I basically screamed my head off for the whole thing. I have been back to WDW about 5 times since then and have never been on it again. Because of this I will not ride any roller coasters anywhere. I love going to Cedar Point (the roller coaster capital) and have never been on a coaster there. I have never really been a thrill ride person anyway.

So just think about it. I promised myself that I would never push my kids to ride anything they didn't want to. My DW will ride just about anything and I sure hope for her sake that one of our kids grows up to ride all the thrill rides with her.
DisneyDad1257 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: