Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
lync
Mouseketeer

What Are the Chances Of Being Seated

With an extra person. Our reservation is for 6 people. Has anyone shown up with an extra person and been seated?
lync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Where are you hoping to eat and when? Going from a party of 6 to 7 will require a different size table (an 8 top- if they have one). This is a lot more difficult to do spur of the moment if the restaurant is a busy one. You're much better of to try to change your ADR.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
lync
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
Where are you hoping to eat and when? Going from a party of 6 to 7 will require a different size table (an 8 top- if they have one). This is a lot more difficult to do spur of the moment if the restaurant is a busy one. You're much better of to try to change your ADR.
I've tried to change our ADR but I can't get another one. It's for BOG (a reservation I've had for a long time)! I'm still stalking it but I don't have high hopes of getting it ! Just wondering if anyone has had success being seated with an extra person.....
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
camdensmom
DIS Veteran

At BOG I would say no. It used to be a lot easier to do walkups or add a person when there was no penalty for cancellation because there were no shows, but now that there in a $10.00 per person fee that isn't so much an issue and the room to add on isn't there.
camdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Quin
DIS Veteran

Tables seat multiples of 2: a 2-top, a 4-top, a 6-top, etc. Going from an odd number of guests to an even number is usually very easy because the table already had an extra place: if you were a party of 5 you were already going to be seated at a 6-top so adding the 6th person should be fine. But going from an even number up to an odd number is much harder; either a bigger table has to be found or another 2-top added to your table and if the surrounding tables are already seated, there's just physically no room to add on. Disney can't just put an extra chair on the end of a smaller table to add a guest; it blocks the aisle and accessibility is a big deal for Disney. Not to mention compliance with occupancy and fire safety codes.

ETA: and ESPECIALLY at BOG where they have to wheel a honkin' big cart around to all the tables for dessert selections! There is no way that an extra person can block the aisle. It's why you have to list even babies under age 2 on your ADR. You aren't reserving food for them to eat: you're reserving a place for them to sit.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync View Post
I've tried to change our ADR but I can't get another one. It's for BOG (a reservation I've had for a long time)! I'm still stalking it but I don't have high hopes of getting it ! Just wondering if anyone has had success being seated with an extra person.....
The golden advice here is to book for the highest number of people in your party and then you can always reduce. Almost impossible to go higher. Especially at Be Our Guest which has been sold out for dinner ever since it opened. I highly doubt they are going to be able to find one extra two top table to seat your new guest. They would have to take it away from someone else and if I were that party of two who probably have had their reservations just as long as you, I wouldn't be very happy.

The only recommendation would be to stop by the restaurant way before you meal time (like when it first opens), explain the situation and see if they can do anything. But really be prepared to make other arraignments.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

We are going to try to do this at BOG in a few weeks. When I made the ADR my Mom was not going with us on the trip but she decided to join us last minute. We are going from 5 to 6, though, so I am hoping that will be easier. If they can't do it for us she has agreed she'll just go find something else. I would hate to leave her out but we scored this ADR and this is a not-to-be-missed as far as I am concerned.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

As another posted said, it's much easier to go from an odd number of guests to even since there is usually an empty seat already. It will not be nearly as easy to go from 6 to 7 people, and I would have an alternate plan ready in case they say no (a large possibility).

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

We just added a fourth person to our trip in less than 2 weeks. Based on what all of you have said, should I assume that we will be fine getting seated with our 3-person reservations wherever we dine? Do any restaurants have tables for 3? Should I even bother trying to alter our reservations?

Thanks!
YC GV- January 2015, GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

1) Disney is getting wise to the "but, they decided to join us".
2) People can't always get the ADR they want.
3) So, they under-count to get a table.
4) Then, they show up with "unexpected" additional people.
5) In a team meeting, CM's have been told to warn guests against this.
6) If there is room, WDW will not turn away revenue.
7) But, if busy, they will turn away the additions.
8) Go ahead any arrive with the extras, if you like.
9) Just be prepared to have someone stand around while you eat.

NOTE: The exception to the above is Tusker House. They have made a
local policy that no one with an ADR gets turned away, even if they are
packed. They will find a way to fit you in, even if a) you are late for ADR,
b) you show up with more people than on the ADR, c) you even show up
2-3 hrs late for the ADR.The eatery wants to be more guest-sensitive.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
We just added a fourth person to our trip in less than 2 weeks. Based on what all of you have said, should I assume that we will be fine getting seated with our 3-person reservations wherever we dine? Do any restaurants have tables for 3? Should I even bother trying to alter our reservations?

Thanks!
I would try to add the 4th person. I just added a 10th person to 5 adrs that were all for 9 people. I was able to add the 10th person with no problem, only two of our adrs were changed and only by 5 minutes. Now I can relax and not worry about showing up and being turned away.

edited to add - I called WDW DINE to add the extra person, I didn't try to change them online.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer

I had a reservation for three people at Be Our Guest for March and I was able to add the fourth person today. I assume I was in a table that sits 4 people. I called Disney Dining directly.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post

Thanks!
You have no problem; because as PP's stated, restaurants are based on nos. of diners as "twos", so it would be two-top, four-top, six-top, eight-top, etc.

There is no such thing as a three-top.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync View Post
With an extra person. Our reservation is for 6 people. Has anyone shown up with an extra person and been seated?
I do this all the time. My in-laws have a difficult time committing to our ADR's, so I typically make my plans for 6 people (instead of 5 or 7).

Yes, more often than not, a seat can be removed from a reservation, but Disney is quick to add a seat as well.

Disney frequently adds a seat to the end of a table of six and you can typically squeeze another chair to a round table as well. This may not always be the case, so be prepared to be told that you cannot be accommodated.

By the way, if you plan to make the change, I'd call before I'd trying to do this on-line. Cast Members have better 'luck' making these types of adjustments.

ABC Commisary (2.5-stars*-food), Akershus (3.0*; 5* princess interaction), Artist Point (3.5*), blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Casey's (4* - Qwik Serve Overstuffed Pulled Pork & Slaw w/ Hot Dog), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (3.0* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flame Tree BBQ (3.0* + .5* for taking TiW), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.0* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4.0*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie (4* - French pastry), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value 1-Credit/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Spice Road Table (3.5*), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (2.5*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

2015 ADR's: blueZoo, Il Mulino, Brown Derby (Fantasmic), Coral Reef, Be Our Guest (dinner), Sci-Fi Theater (child's first time), Tusker House (family first time), and 1900 Park Fare (family first time). On 'to dine' list: Monsieur Paul, Ohana, Yachtman's Steakhouse.
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
lync
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies. I have been checking multiple times a day (I FINALLY did get the Ohana 6:50pm ADR for 7 people!!!!). As of right now, the plan is the see if they will seat us. My brother knows he may not be able to join us for this meal if they tell us no.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: