Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
socaintexas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Crawford, Texas
Posts: 109

Question about trip insurance and KSF

I purchased insurance through Travelguard. The price they gave me on the phone was about $100 cheaper than the online quote. When I did the online quote I divided the cost of the trip by two and put it as the cost for me and my spouse, leaving the cost for my two children $0 since they are sailing free. When they did the policy they took the cost of the ship and divided it between all four of us. That dropped the price because they give free coverage to children. Does anyone think this will be an issue? I pointed it out to them but they did not seem concerned.
socaintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,574
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaintexas View Post
I purchased insurance through Travelguard. The price they gave me on the phone was about $100 cheaper than the online quote. When I did the online quote I divided the cost of the trip by two and put it as the cost for me and my spouse, leaving the cost for my two children $0 since they are sailing free. When they did the policy they took the cost of the ship and divided it between all four of us. That dropped the price because they give free coverage to children. Does anyone think this will be an issue? I pointed it out to them but they did not seem concerned.
Well, for one thing, if only one of you ends up having to file a claim for missing the cruise, or cruise interruption, you will not get your full amount reimbursed for that person; you'd only get 1/4 of the amount instead of 1/2. I'd worry that if you do have to file a claim, and DCL says you didn't pay anything for the kids, that they'd say they'd only pay for the 2 adults, and for the 1/4 amount you'd been insured for. I'd get it in writing from them that you'll be reimbursed for the full amount of the cruise if you cancel.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
LeslieG
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,716

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaintexas View Post
I purchased insurance through Travelguard. The price they gave me on the phone was about $100 cheaper than the online quote. When I did the online quote I divided the cost of the trip by two and put it as the cost for me and my spouse, leaving the cost for my two children $0 since they are sailing free. When they did the policy they took the cost of the ship and divided it between all four of us. That dropped the price because they give free coverage to children. Does anyone think this will be an issue? I pointed it out to them but they did not seem concerned.
I had this happen to me too with a KSF, and the insurance automatically divided it by four. I also questioned it, but I was told it didn't matter. I was skeptical, because the people in claims may say otherwise, but I didn't know what else to do.
LeslieG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,574
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
I had this happen to me too with a KSF, and the insurance automatically divided it by four. I also questioned it, but I was told it didn't matter. I was skeptical, because the people in claims may say otherwise, but I didn't know what else to do.
Call the people in claims! You should have a phone number to call to submit a claim. I'm sure they'll answer your question. Then ask if you could get it in an email.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
LeslieG
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,716

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Call the people in claims! You should have a phone number to call to submit a claim. I'm sure they'll answer your question. Then ask if you could get it in an email.

Sayhello

We already took the trip, so no worries. But in the future, if that happens again, I will call claims.
LeslieG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaintexas View Post
I purchased insurance through Travelguard. The price they gave me on the phone was about $100 cheaper than the online quote. When I did the online quote I divided the cost of the trip by two and put it as the cost for me and my spouse, leaving the cost for my two children $0 since they are sailing free. When they did the policy they took the cost of the ship and divided it between all four of us. That dropped the price because they give free coverage to children. Does anyone think this will be an issue? I pointed it out to them but they did not seem concerned.
I think you are correct in assuming that the kids are not covered. When I bought a policy, the kids portion was explicitly free b/c the policy provided that the kids are free. So unless the coverage says they are free, I bet they're not covered.

In this situation you might be better off buying trip insurance directly through Travelex/Travel Guard/Travel Insured.

I'm going through Travel Insured and their 2nd best policy includes kids free w/paying adults.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
socaintexas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Crawford, Texas
Posts: 109

Calling claims is a good idea just to make sure. Thanks, guys!
socaintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

When "they" did the policy...when WHO did the policy?

Many companies give a free child's policy with each adult policy purchased. That is worth exploring. If the total trip cost was divided by 4, you are under insured. This is a common event. If everyone is being covered for the same amount, this amount should reflect the adult price. Granted, if the trip must be canceled, you'll get back only what you paid. BUT...say dad has something such that he can't cruise and you cancel him but take the kids. Suddenly you don't have enough coverage on Dad to pay for his entire ticket.

Even when kids are not free, if adults are $1400 and kids are $800, you'll end up covering everyone to $1500 (since insurance is sold in $500 increments). increasing the coverage up to a point adds very little to the cost.

We are always asked whether the amount we tell them is a "per person" or "per trip" amount. We quote "per person" and make that rate the "per adult" rate.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
socaintexas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Crawford, Texas
Posts: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
When "they" did the policy...when WHO did the policy?

Many companies give a free child's policy with each adult policy purchased. That is worth exploring. If the total trip cost was divided by 4, you are under insured. This is a common event. If everyone is being covered for the same amount, this amount should reflect the adult price. Granted, if the trip must be canceled, you'll get back only what you paid. BUT...say dad has something such that he can't cruise and you cancel him but take the kids. Suddenly you don't have enough coverage on Dad to pay for his entire ticket.

Even when kids are not free, if adults are $1400 and kids are $800, you'll end up covering everyone to $1500 (since insurance is sold in $500 increments). increasing the coverage up to a point adds very little to the cost.

We are always asked whether the amount we tell them is a "per person" or "per trip" amount. We quote "per person" and make that rate the "per adult" rate.
"They" was customer service at Travelguard. I called them on Monday to get the policy since we have used them before and they had my info on file.

I called claims and changed it to reflect the cost divided by two for me and my husband. I feel more comfortable the way it is now. Thanks everyone!
socaintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaintexas View Post
"They" was customer service at Travelguard. I called them on Monday to get the policy since we have used them before and they had my info on file.

I called claims and changed it to reflect the cost divided by two for me and my husband. I feel more comfortable the way it is now. Thanks everyone!
Makes sense. I wasn't sure if this was the insurance company doing it or perhaps a travel agent (who should know better). yes, it sounds like you have it correct now!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.