Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
christianweecare
DIS Veteran

We prefer the Eastern. We like the ports better and love, love, love the extra at sea day!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
EDH Family
Married to the Mouse

Western, once Falmouth replaces Costa Maya.

2005 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-December * 2007 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-September * 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Mexican Riviera-June * 2009 Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas-February * 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-November * 2011 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas-April * 2011 Disney Wonder 7 Night Mexican Riviera-November-Roy Disney Suite! * 2012 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-December * 2013 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas - March * 2013 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western-March * 2013 Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas-August * 2014 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-April
EDH Family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
SeaNana
Mouseketeer

We have done Western once, Eastern twice, with another scheduled for this year. We like the extra sea day, though the last time we just walked into the towns for the exercise and a little shopping. The quiet ship time was great, plus we like cruises for the actual ship time more than port excursions.
SeaNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_A_Princess View Post
Really? I did not know that.
Do they ask you?

I love the Eastern. Given a choice we sail the eastern. But ANY cruise is better than no cruise,
Yes, they ask if you have been out of the country. If you answer yes, then then ask what countries. Mexico disqualifies you.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

We've done 1 of each (1 Magic out of Galveston, 1 Magic our of Pt Canaveral) and I prefer Eastern Caribbean. St. Maarten is a personal favorite so I can visit Maho Beach. My wife and I also enjoyed St. Thomas.

On the west;
Grand Cayman is beautiful. Cozumel is alright. Costa Maya was a dump. The ruins are awesome but I wouldnt spend anytime in the tourist town.

Clint
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

We rotate western-eastern-western-eastern (you get the hint) & I think once we hit a western with a Jamaica stop, if the ports stay the same, we'll switch to all Easterns. We *love* Easterns. Three glorious sea days. So relaxing. I adore St. John. It's by far my fave port so far. DH loves St. Thomas. And, we are tired of Mexico. Yes, GC is nice; can't argue that! And, we actually love Key West but the Fantasy doesn't stop there and she's our "home" ship. If given the choice, I know our family would say eastern all the way 8)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #22
mcmckuf
Mouseketeer

Key West

Interesting so many dislike it. Maybe it's because we did our honeymoon there, but we love it. DW heads straight for the key lime shop for the chocolate Key Lime pie on a stick. Our kids DD10, DD3 love the butterfly conservatory. Once every few years works for us. Overall though, I prefer Eastern as well. The Mexico ports are just meh....
mcmckuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #23
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

I haven't done Eastern yet but I really enjoy both Cozumel (so much so, we are considering a land vacation there) and Grand Cayman. I'll admit I didn't give Costa Maya a fair chance but seriously DCL, go someplace else! Roatan is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen.

There's a lot of "we stay on the ship", "what's within walking distance to the port", "we only do ship excursions" on this board (which is fine, to each their own) so I don't imagine those people are going to have a lot of use for Western ports (or Nassau) where you need to get away from the port and DO something in order to appreciate the stop there. Plus, DCL itineraries leave something to be desired.

If you snorkel or dive, Western has the best reef in this part of the world.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
linseystuckey
Earning My Ears

The eastern caribbean IMO is far more beautiful than the western. The southern caribbean is the most beautiful of all. Maybe Disney will get to the SC some day.
linseystuckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: