Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Some flavors of Dole Whip now dairy free???????

I'm quite familiar with the lactose, but not dairy free, Dole Whip ingredients. DH is increasingly lactose intolerant and DS is dairy allergic. In the last year, my DS has been able to eat increasing forms of dairy including baked milk and even some uncooked cheeses (Parm seems to be a problem). Anyway, I was wondering if he could tolerate the sodium casein in the Dole Whips since cheese is the casein protein. So I ordered some of the mix and in the last week I have given him a skin prick test and have added increasing amounts to smoothies. No reaction.

Anyway, I was just on another disboard where the standard discussion re Dole Whips and dairy came up. I meant to clarify the issue and went to get a web link of the ingredients to help explain the issue. Lo and behold, no sodium caseinate in the Pineapple or Orange flavor. Confused, I poked around and found this sales brochure.

http://doclibrary.com/MFR457/DOC/Fro...pmarks1737.pdf

The Orange and Pineapple are labeled as "NOW VEGAN" on page 7 and page 8 has a chart showing those two flavors as dairy free.

Now I'm not sure what mix I have and wether DS is tolerating the casein in it or wether I have one of the new vegan mixes. There's no label on the commercial bag I have, I was relying on the website.

Still perplexed, I also found this post discussing the formulation change. Sounds like you need to be careful of cross-contamination from the Vanilla flavor if your dairy allergy is severe.

http://www.allergyfreemouse.com/2013...ry-free-maybe/
nfceagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

OMG!!!! They even have separate nozzles and each flavour goes through separate lines at Aloha Isle. I think I'll be getting myself a pineapple Dole Whip next month!!

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
girls
Mouseketeer

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!? Is Aloha Isle in Adventure Land? OMG.

Has anyone with a severe ( DD is anaphylactic to minute amounts incl one inhalation anaphylaxis) had it? I'm not going to mention it to her, but, oh this would be great. We'll be there soon and my husband & I will have to quietly investigate.

Thank you so much for sharing!
girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Yes, it's in Adventure Land. The change seems very new so I don't think you'll find anyone with a comparable allergy who's tried it yet. It wasn't listed on the Special Diets dairy free list dated in Dec 2012, so I'm not sure if it' too new or they aren't comfortable declaring it an allergy friendly item. It's mixed in buckets before pouring into the machine. I would want to make sure the buckets aren't shared between the flavored without adequate washing. From the mix i bought I can tell you the mix is very powdery and poofs when you pour it if you know what I mean.

It's also sold at Captain Cooks, the QS in the Polynesian. I wonder if there's any chance they only sell the pineapple flavor? I don't know though as we've never been to Capt Cooks or checked out Dole Whips very closely.

Dairy is my DS's mildest allergy and the only one I'm not super careful about cross-contamination with, so I sympathize.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Last time I looked at the machine at Captain Cook's they sold pineapple and vanilla with an option for a swirl. If I remember correctly, they each had their own spout but that doesn't mean there's nothing shared. Since it's self serve, I can't imagine that there's no cross contamination from people serving themselves one flavour followed by holding it up to the other flavour resulting on some getting on other spouts. I'll be staying at Poly but the more I think about it I don't see giving it a try there just because self-serve makes cross contamination so much more likely.

I told my kids about it last night. They're so excited to try them.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
livndisney
DIS Veteran

I can run over this weekend and find out. I know this would be a happy house if it is true!
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
ScholarAndAGent
Earning My Ears

I still haven't tried Dole Whip. We were going to last time we were at MK, but we ended up getting same night reservations for BOG. We decided to save space in our stomachs for that and had no space left after we were done eating.
ScholarAndAGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
I can run over this weekend and find out. I know this would be a happy house if it is true!
Ooooooh, please do!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

My DS had 3 Dole Whips at Aloha Isle last week. Mind you, I don't worry too much about dairy cross-contamination so I didn't grill them about their processes or ask them to handle his with any extra caution.

I did, however, notice that there were 3 machines. One a Vanilla/Pineapple machine, one a Vanilla/Orange, and one an Orange/Pineapple machine. Getting it from the Orange/Pineapple machine should eliminate at least one main source of contamination since both of those flavors are dairy free.

Hard to tell in the glare, but here's a pic of that machine. It's labeled with stickers so I think the same machines are used for the same flavors consistently.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
livndisney
DIS Veteran

According to what we were told today at GS-not dairy free.

We were unable to get a straight answer from Aloha Isle in MK. GS called the food service manager for Adventureland and was told Dolewhips not dairy free.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
girls
Mouseketeer

No go for a severe dairy allergy. :-( We were so excited, but didn't tell my daughter just in case. I'm glad we didn't. They said that while yes there's no longer dairy in the ingredients and they have their own spout, the flavors are all mixed in the same container, so there's a cross contamination risk. Why on earth they can't just buy a 2nd container . . . ?
girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by girls View Post
Why on earth they can't just buy a 2nd container . . . ?
Seriously! Heck, I'll pay for the new bucket. Maybe in time they'll realize they're so close to having a great Top 8 free allergy friendly treat and make it happen. Sorry it's a disappointment for some of you. I know the feeling.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Can anyone confirm that the pineapple is dairy free? I am not concerned about the contamination bc she can eat things baked with dairy we just can't have cheese, yogurts, ice cream, etc. She caneat pizza with all cheese removed so I am not concerned with contamination but if it has dairy in it then it is another story. Mixing same bucket is okay not ideal but won't effect her.

Now I see there is also orange flavored. Is it easy to tell apart from the pineapple? Dd is also allergic to oranges more so than dairy. I don't want her to get the orange by mistake. Probably safer to ask them to get it from the vanilla pineapple machine right? She has no issues with contamination and has to actually eat the foods to get hives and stomach issues. Touching the offending food doesn't effect her.

Dd is also allergic to chocolate, and pineapple is one of her favorite fruits. Everything seems to be dairy, chocolate, strawberry (another thing she is allergic to), or orange so pineapple dole whip would be a huge treat for her.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post
Can anyone confirm that the pineapple is dairy free? I am not concerned about the contamination bc she can eat things baked with dairy we just can't have cheese, yogurts, ice cream, etc. She caneat pizza with all cheese removed so I am not concerned with contamination but if it has dairy in it then it is another story. Mixing same bucket is okay not ideal but won't effect her.

Now I see there is also orange flavored. Is it easy to tell apart from the pineapple? Dd is also allergic to oranges more so than dairy. I don't want her to get the orange by mistake. Probably safer to ask them to get it from the vanilla pineapple machine right? She has no issues with contamination and has to actually eat the foods to get hives and stomach issues. Touching the offending food doesn't effect her.

Dd is also allergic to chocolate, and pineapple is one of her favorite fruits. Everything seems to be dairy, chocolate, strawberry (another thing she is allergic to), or orange so pineapple dole whip would be a huge treat for her.
I am a big supporter of "treats". You do know you can get dairy free ice cream in the parks right?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
I am a big supporter of "treats". You do know you can get dairy free ice cream in the parks right?
Yes but DD tried the tuffuti brand recently and doesn't like it. I was excited when I heard they had it so disappointed when she wasn't interested. We tried the rice a year ago and she got a little rashy around her face not sure why. She will eat some soy delicious but likes coconut flavors over vanilla. She will take one bite and throw it out. She loves pineapple which is why I got excited. It is hard when your child asks if everything is chocolate...everywhere we go. She would probably eat one bowl or two of the ice cream but not every night/day. Hard when her 3.5 year old sister can eat anything.

Part of her issue is we found her allergies at 3.5 and she used to eat chocolate, oranges etc before the day she woke with full body hives. Ped insisted for years she was lactose intolerant, even the allergist was surprised she tested positive for milk.

I should add that she is SPD so she is superpicky about cold or really hot foods. She will eat say an italian ice but throw out an ice pop. She prefers cookies - unfortunately anything peanut butter flavored which with all the nut allergies is hard. Just hoping she will be able to find some fun things besides her usual golden oreo...I just remembered she liked the dole whip she had before the allergies so was hoping it would be an option. We are very very very thankful her allergies are not severe but it is hard for her. Hallowen is a pain things are chocolate, or strawberry, or citrus flavored. Parties are all pizza and ice cream cake or chocolate cake. Kids make fun of her for eating something different. I'm sure everyone who has an allergy understands that frustration. Also some of it comes from our past two celebrity cruises where they only found her a peanut buttercookie one day and only offered her lemon sorbet all week with no alternative.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: