Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #76
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

The choose 1 from column A and choose 1 from column B type of action plan is the exact thing that concerns me. I don't ride a lot of different rides in some parks, I enjoy the ability to get two fast passes for the same attraction in a day. I do like the fact that I could hold fast passes without having to be at a park early.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #77
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook

It is a good way to stop that stampede at DHS for Toy Story Mania. So are you saying that more people will be happy and attendance will increase thus recouping the billions spent on this plan?
I think that Disney believes that higher guest satisfaction will lead to more return trips. Having more control over crowd traffic will lead to additional savings. And if people are preordering their food, think of how much faster they will be able to turn the tables over.

The problem with TSMM is that it's one of the few rides that everybody will want to fast pass. I feel like getting those fast passes will become like getting a Le Cellier ADR.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club, Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2015 POFQ

Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #78
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Am I the only one that wants absolutely nothing to do with any of this?

I mean, it's not that I don't like change. I'm all for it.

But after spending 6 days in the parks with just my kids and deciding after getting off a ride what ride we're going to go on next, I don't have the slightest interest in scheduling rides ahead of time.

And I saw enough people's faces buried in their smartphones on this trip to dread what it will be like when they're a "must" for a touring schedule. Ugh.

I just really really hope (I know they SAY it....) that this stuff doesn't ruin the park-going experience for the spontaneously-inclined guest that could care less about their cell phone while on vacation.

Now get off my lawn.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #79
Tarheel girl 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844

But after spending 6 days in the parks with just my kids and deciding after getting off a ride what ride we're going to go on next, I don't have the slightest interest in scheduling rides ahead of time.

And I saw enough people's faces buried in their smartphones on this trip to dread what it will be like when they're a "must" for a touring schedule. Ugh.

I just really really hope (I know they SAY it....) that this stuff doesn't ruin the park-going experience for the spontaneously-inclined guest that could care less about their cell phone while on vacation.

Now get off my lawn.
I haven't really liked what I've heard about MyMagic+ and I AM a planner. I love making touring plans, but it isn't unusual for us to change our plans as we go either.

I am hoping that I will be wrong. I didn't like when they added a no show fee for reservations or decided to enforce return times for fast passes, but was able to adapt without issues so I will cross my fingers about this. Either way, I hope it's rolled out well before my trip so that any bugs can be worked out before I go.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club, Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC

Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #80
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post

Now get off my lawn.
I totally agree, last time I was at the parks I couldn't get over how many were walking around looking at the phones or whatever device. It was amazing to me and it does seem like this will make it worse. I don't like "having" to have your phone either. Most of the time I'm thrilled to leave the phone in the room.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #81
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Someday everyone will be using contacts or glasses that will allow them to access the internet, thus eliminating people having their heads buried in their phone.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #82
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I keep seeing more and more of these types of posts:

Quote:
Coworker ran into he same on Goofys Barnstormer. 10 minute standby ended up exceeding 45 minutes. Said there couldn't have been more than 40 people ahead of them when they got in line. Sounds like way too many FP's were issued for the same timeframe
I believe this is an indicator of what is coming with FP+ and it shows how Disney intends to pay for it.

Basically Disney will use FP+ as a way to control crowds and allow the park's capacities to increase. The main idea of FP+ is to spread people out and utilize all the resources inside the parks 100%. You are not operating efficiently if everyone is at Space Mountain while Stitch lays idle. So you need to get people out of the standby line and into the Stitch ride. How do you do that? By making the standby lines so onerous nobody wants to get in them. You make it so only people with FP+ have a chance to ride the rides. Don't have a FP+, Disney will offer you immediate FP+ to Stitch.

If you do this, you can increase the allowable park capacities to rise without having to add personnel or other resources. I think a great example is the Magic Kingdom. I see no reason why their current capacity level of around 80K can't be increased to 160K with the addition of FP+ and the Fantasyland Expansion. Just imagine if they are able to pull in an extra 60,000 people per day that are spending $100 per person (ticket, food, souvenirs, etc). That's an additional $6,000,000 in revenue per day. Now times that by 365 days and you'll see that they'll make back their money really quickly.

Heck, if they stuff 10,000 more people into Hollywood Studios just imagine the extra money they will be racking in.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #83
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post

I believe this is an indicator of what is coming with FP+ and it shows how Disney intends to pay for it.

Basically Disney will use FP+ as a way to control crowds and allow the park's capacities to increase. The main idea of FP+ is to spread people out and utilize all the resources inside the parks 100%. You are not operating efficiently if everyone is at Space Mountain while Stitch lays idle. So you need to get people out of the standby line and into the Stitch ride. How do you do that? By making the standby lines so onerous nobody wants to get in them. You make it so only people with FP+ have a chance to ride the rides. Don't have a FP+, Disney will offer you immediate FP+ to Stitch.

If you do this, you can increase the allowable park capacities to rise without having to add personnel or other resources. I think a great example is the Magic Kingdom. I see no reason why their current capacity level of around 80K can't be increased to 160K with the addition of FP+ and the Fantasyland Expansion. Just imagine if they are able to pull in an extra 60,000 people per day that are spending $100 per person (ticket, food, souvenirs, etc). That's an additional $6,000,000 in revenue per day. Now times that by 365 days and you'll see that they'll make back their money really quickly.

Heck, if they stuff 10,000 more people into Hollywood Studios just imagine the extra money they will be racking in.
That all makes sense and could definitely be part of the missing income. All along we thought they were going to use this to fill resorts, when actually they could have been planning on filling the parks, and adding more to the resorts indirectly.

They can pull this off too, because the advertising campaign is going to be super slick!

Teens and thrill riders will not tolerate this though. So they will have to over come that hurdle.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #84
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Unless something has radically changed, Goofy's Barnstormer doesn't have Fastpass. So I'm not sure that report could be true.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #85
PainInIL
Earning My Ears

People who are saying they won't use this, will sing a different tune when they have no choice but to use it. No doubt about it - this will alter your touring habits. For some people this will be just what they wanted. For others - most likely the Disney "old timers" - they will hate this new system.

With this initiative Disney is looking for new visitors. It realizes a major part of its core following is aging and it now looks to get the next generation of theme park visitors. This is a big piece to that.
PainInIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #86
Tarheel girl 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33

This is what I was trying to say. You just said it better than me. :-)

Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #87
Tarheel girl 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill

Unless something has radically changed, Goofy's Barnstormer doesn't have Fastpass. So I'm not sure that report could be true.
Isn't there a barnstormer fast pass machine next to Dumbo's fast pass machine?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #88
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel girl 1975 View Post
Isn't there a barnstormer fast pass machine next to Dumbo's fast pass machine?
I stand corrected. I was not aware they had added Fastpass to Barnstormer as part of the FLE. Hadn't heard a single thing about it, actually...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #89
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

OK, it's Al Lutz, but he said in his blog that this WILL be replacing the fastpass system we all know and it WILL be used to for luring people to stay on-site and to entice people to upgrade their vacations. It's pay for play.

Also, Disney Anaheim learned a lesson the past year with DCA, by adding more people into the parks you can drive huge profits. That's what this all about, getting more people in the parks and getting money from those people. I know it sounds callous for me to say that, but don't ever forget that Disney is in business to make profit.

Plus, you gotta pay for Iger's 40 million dollar salary.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #90
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
OK, it's Al Lutz, but he said in his blog that this WILL be replacing the fastpass system we all know and it WILL be used to for luring people to stay on-site and to entice people to upgrade their vacations. It's pay for play.

Also, Disney Anaheim learned a lesson the past year with DCA, by adding more people into the parks you can drive huge profits. That's what this all about, getting more people in the parks and getting money from those people. I know it sounds callous for me to say that, but don't ever forget that Disney is in business to make profit.

Plus, you gotta pay for Iger's 40 million dollar salary.
Link? Sounds like the old rumors, and I couldn't find a recent article about it from him.

There are different things here...

Everything indicates FastPass+ will be available to ALL guests - eventually. It will be rolled out gradually, but not in a way that I'd expect would drive resort stays. The rollout might be pretty aggressive, actually, but will start with resort guests. Scuttlebutt says select resorts will start, BWI being the first (although there has been some mention of Beach Club on the boards).

Even MyMagic+ seems to be geared for all guests. Resort guests will automatically get MagicBands, and all the other features, unless they opt out. Non resort guests can purchase MagicBands to use in place of an RFID-enabled ticket. And from the website, it looks like you may be able to tie a credit card to your account, which might allow direct charging via MagicBand similar to resort guests. Bot certain it will work that way though.

For everyone, it is expected that "designer" or "personalized" MagicBands will be available for an upcharge.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: