Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #31
Superspectral
Mouseketeer

I think $1 billion is for the whole "next generation initiative" not just RFID/MyMagic+/Fastpass+. Some of this total may be recharacterized ongoing capital equipment sustainment budget. For example, it seems to me the magnetic media readers throughout the park were well worn and in need of wholesale replacement.

Perhaps Disney is hoping to reduce future labor costs by load management between the parks. FP+ can distribute guests more evenly by park capacity. As resort guest numbers exceed park capacity, you want to reduce the time they spend in the park per day. Guests get their 3 rides per day then leave. Stay 10 days and see what you used to see in 5. Double the number of guests in the resort while at any one moment the parks are full. So parks are open fewer hours or you don't have to build another park.
Superspectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #32
Kimberle
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I understand that. However, if Disney's #1 focus is on the "once in a lifetime guest," why would that person need a band that they can't use anywhere else but at the parks?
I don't see a "band", I see a bracelet. WDW will most likely have many different styles from which to choose. They could include 1 or more that are marketed to adults. If done tasetfully, it could be a bracelet that holds memories of being in the world. Think of building a charm bracelet with one of the charms the RIF reader. (Personally, I wouldn't buy this, but I know many who would.)

Also, I see lots of adults buying Mickey ears, etc. that are only worn in the parks. I don't see adults with their "ears" in the mall..
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #33
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Also, I see lots of adults buying Mickey ears, etc. that are only worn in the parks. I don't see adults with their "ears" in the mall..
Don't you have Hat Day at work?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #34
jrgutknecht
Mouseketeer

I'm sure those that signed off on this investment believe the payoff will come from two places. 1. new and returning guests who see the value in the system (a small portion of the payoff) and 2. the INFORMATION they gather from those that use it.

Think about a company like Facebook. Why are they so valuable right now? Because of the information they are gathering about people, their habits, their likes, their dislikes, their brands, their networks, their friends, etc.. As soon as I heard they were using this to track your purchases, I knew that the information was the key to this program.

Believe it or not (and I personally think it's not as valuable as those selling it would have you believe) but information about consumers is the most valuable commodity in the business world right now. Companies are spending big bucks on analytics to try and better identify their customers and deliver them targeted messages. Think about all those coupons that print out at the checkout at Target, Walmart or your local grocery. Those are not random coupons. Those companies spent millions of dollars on software to track and analyze your purchases to deliver those coupons to you.

Disney is no doubt doing the same thing. I'm sure they believe this system will ultimately give them information they need to better target potential guests with offers that they just can't refuse - why ? Because they know exactly what offer to make. As quikah said, it's a whole new revenue stream.

Just my two cents.

Personally, as a gadget / tech geek, I can't wait to try it out.
jrgutknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #35
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

One other thought: a lot of this "under the hood" stuff that makes up a large part of this NextGen thing has the result of eliminating the need to purchase certain supplies (mostly thinking about paper, room keys, photopass cards, etc.) and eliminating the need to do maintenance on machines that rely upon mechanics to function (like FastPass machines). When a Fastpass machine goes down now, you've got to send someone out there to fix it on the spot, which is disruptive. These RFID things, though, just program another one backstage, swap it out, and deal with the problem without the clock ticking and everyone watching. Definitely has the potential to cut down on maintenance costs and the burn of constantly replenishing supplies.

Moreover, with virtually everything you do being linked to these RFID bracelets, the amount of control Disney can maintain from a centralized location is enormous. It has to streamline their operations.

Point is, even apart from whatever increased revenue Disney may see as a result of the NextGen thing, the savings and efficiencies it may realize will certainly help offset that cost as well.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015)
DLR (July 2014) - DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
mjtm610
Mouseketeer

If we're there for 7 days, do I have to wear this bracelet thing everywhere I go? Can I take it off? I can't imagine kids keeping it on. They can't even keep the band they use for SAB on.
mjtm610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #37
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
I think Disney are looking to recover the costs in multiple ways. Increased spending (people not thinking the wristband is really spending money), decreasing staff (better mobilization of CM's where needed), rolling in "perks" for on-site guests (increasing resort guest numbers), custom wristbands (why get the standard one for free when you can have one with Mickey and your name on it for $25), perhaps some new paid interactive experiences. Doesn't take long for all of those to add up. I don't think they plan on recovering the cost super quickly, but WDW will be selling those wristbands for a long time yet!
I think this is a lot of it. Disney stated that they expect this to somehow translate into 10-20% more spending by guests. Whether that translates into an extra day in the parks for every 5-10 days of a typical stay instead of going to Universal (another focus they have mentioned, although I don't see how this would make people stay on property yet, unless they make FP+ more desirable than it is appears to be), or people spending more due to convenience (I can walk up and buy a $3 soda in a couple seconds, instead of having to wait for the room charge or get change back), I don't know.

Upcharges like designer styles I think might be a big sell though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
So, I also don't see the sense in the customizable band argument. The bands can't be used anywhere else and Disney is obviously not interested in repeat guests so why would someone buy one? They're not like Pal Mickey or even ear hats. They aren't necessarily the hit style piece either. I'm sorry but I just don't see it.
I guarantee you if there is a Dooney & Bourke designer bracelet for an additional $5-10, there are plenty of people here who would snap them up...

But it is interesting that these don't appear to be reusable, at least for some of their function. The bands supposedly contain a non-replaceable button battery for a transmitter that allows them to know when you are close enough to certain locations. That battery can't last forever. I don't know what the lifetime is, but I don't think it's going to be a full year and I wonder if it would last a month.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #38
bcrook
DIS Veteran

This is a great question NikkiBell - everything doesn't add up yet.

If people buy the bands? will they still buy the ears? or a balloon? or whatever. I would think some percentage of the new gadget is going to replace some other low cost high profit item. doconeill brings up a good point about the battery life. If I bought a designer bracelet (no way that will happen), I would like for it to work for a few visits.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 01-15-2013 at 10:51 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #39
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

I'm not sure why everyone is talking about tiers and on property. MyMagic+ is going to be for everyone by the end of the year. It's simply that they are rolling it out in stages, that way they can control it and ensure the users have a good experience.

They've done progressive rollouts with everything recently. Art of Animation opened in 4 stages over the course of 5 months. Two parts of Fantasyland opened, one in the beginning of the year, and one at the end... with two more parts still to come. Doing progressive rollouts ensures everything goes smooth, unlike the mess that was Harry Potter.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #40
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
This is a great question NikkiBell - everything doesn't add up yet.

If people buy the bands? will they still by the ears? or a balloon? or whatever. I would think some percentage of the new gadget is going to replace some other low cost high profit item. doconeill brings up a good point about the battery life. If I bought a designer bracelet (no way that will happen), I would like for it to work for a few visits.
People will buy anything Disney sells once the Disney spin is applied.

These are RFID chips in the bracelets and cards, they do not require a battery. They contain only a user ID and maybe a check sum. All of the info about you, your charging privileges, room access, likes and dislikes, park access, fast passes, game high scores, location on property, buying habits, eating habits, rides that you have been on, are all kept in a computer.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #41
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

These are RFID chips in the bracelets and cards, they do not require a battery. They contain only a user ID and maybe a check sum. All of the info about you, your charging privileges, room access, likes and dislikes, park access, fast passes, game high scores, location on property, buying habits, eating habits, rides that you have been on, are all kept in a computer.

Bill
So you think people will be able to use them over and over again?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #42
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I would think so. They will probably offer plain disposable versions and ones that you pay for that are nicer along with the card version for people who don't want the bracelet.

When you check into your room or go to Guest Services, they will pull up your account, scan your bracelet or card and you are all set to go.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #43
Kimberle
WL Vet

Quote:
I would think so. They will probably offer plain disposable versions and ones that you pay for that are nicer along with the card version for people who don't want the bracelet.

When you check into your room or go to Guest Services, they will pull up your account, scan your bracelet or card and you are all set to go.

Bill
Actually, I heard that if you do the 60 day advance check in, they will mail you your bracelet. They'll then text you your room number when it is ready so you won't even have to go to the front desk upon arrival.

So many rumers/info. We'll see what pans out....
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #44
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Quote:

Bill
The basic RFID part of it should be re-usable, but like I said in my earlier post there is a slightly longer range transmitter powered by a battery, for which the life of the battery is uncertain.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #45
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Bill
Yes, but if the data is to be transmitted to that computer it needs power. There must be some type of battery in it for it to work.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: