Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
itsmeamanda
Mouseketeer

To Stroller or Not to Stroller?

I realize this is a hotly-contested topic, but I'm not sure about renting a stroller. We have two young boys 4 and 6 who have not used a stroller in over 2 years. This is our first visit to Disney World. I'm trying to decide if the pros of a stroller rental outweigh the cons. We plan on going back to the room to rest most days if that makes a difference.

Any tips or real world advice would be appreciated.

Here are the pros and cons I'm weighing:

PRO:
1. Can get from place to place quicker if we're not having to wait on their little legs to walk long distances.
2. Can store more things (like a soft sided cooler) and extra snacks, etc.
3. They can rest when they're tired.

CON:
1. Hauling a double stroller in and out of the parks each day, and pushing it will be no picnic either.
2. Having to fetch it from stroller parking after each ride.
3. A double stroller is wide and may be tough to get around the crowds.
4. No where to store a soft-sided cooler.
5. Can save money by not renting.
6. When we do use Disney Transportation, it will be a PITA. We will have our car, though, so not sure how much we will be using Disney transportation.

Is there anything else that I've not thought of?

Thanks for your input!
itsmeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeamanda View Post
I realize this is a hotly-contested topic, but I'm not sure about renting a stroller. We have two young boys 4 and 6 who have not used a stroller in over 2 years. This is our first visit to Disney World. I'm trying to decide if the pros of a stroller rental outweigh the cons. We plan on going back to the room to rest most days if that makes a difference.

Any tips or real world advice would be appreciated.

Here are the pros and cons I'm weighing:

PRO:
1. Can get from place to place quicker if we're not having to wait on their little legs to walk long distances.
2. Can store more things (like a soft sided cooler) and extra snacks, etc.
3. They can rest when they're tired.

CON:
1. Hauling a double stroller in and out of the parks each day, and pushing it will be no picnic either.
2. Having to fetch it from stroller parking after each ride.
3. A double stroller is wide and may be tough to get around the crowds.
4. No where to store a soft-sided cooler.
5. Can save money by not renting.
6. When we do use Disney Transportation, it will be a PITA. We will have our car, though, so not sure how much we will be using Disney transportation.

Is there anything else that I've not thought of?

Thanks for your input!
You will use Disney "transportation" every time that you go from the parking lot to the park entrance or back since you will need to board the trams. So even you are not taking a bus, you will still need to fold and stow your stroller.

Maybe you can compromise by getting an inexpensive umbrella stroller and taking it. I have a feeling that the 6 yo will be okay with walking as long as you take things at his pace. The 4 yo might have difficulty making it through without a place to rest. You can always let the kids switch off if one is tired and the other is rested up.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

1. Hauling a double stroller in and out of the parks each day, and pushing it will be no picnic either. Getting it to and from the parks might be a bit of a hassle if you don't have your own car - pushing it is no big deal, since you can always park it for an hour or so and let the kids walk a bit and stretch out.

2. Having to fetch it from stroller parking after each ride. On our second trip, we parked ours in Fantasyland and toured the area and then collected it and moved on to Frontierland, etc. No need to get it after each and every ride if you're going to be in the general vicinity.

3. A double stroller is wide and may be tough to get around the crowds. No argument here.

5. Can save money by not renting. I'm confused - are you renting? In which case #1 is not an issue - you can't take the rented strollers outside of the parks, you must turn them in at the front. If you're bringing your own, you can save money by not renting, but that would be a 'pro' in my book.

6. When we do use Disney Transportation, it will be a PITA. We will have our car, though, so not sure how much we will be using Disney transportation. We always have our car and loved having the stroller. It is a long walk to the parking lots at the end of the night when carrying two tired children! Last year we stayed at Contemporary and DH had to carry DS5 back on his shoulders at the end of the night - not a good memory for him. This year we had a stroller just to walk to and from MK, a CM directed us to an out of the way parking area at the front of the park and we toured and had a great time and would collect the stroller on the way back to the hotel.

We used a sit and stand stroller when our boys were 7 and 4. My kids are very active (tae kwon do, etc.) and healthy - we go on "Disney Walks" in the months before we leave, walking at least 1.5 miles a day to strengthen their muscles even more.

My view is - when you are little and going about 5+ miles a day in Disney, that is too much for growing muscles to consistently walk so much. The sit and stand was great the first year. DS4 rode in it the majority of the time, DS7 had a place to sit in the back if he got tired or hot.

We have had perfect vacations with no meltdowns at all and I credit a large part of this with having well-rested children.

You know your children best - if you think your kids can handle it (and you don't mind carrying them around the parks or to the parking lots when they can't), then it might be a better option to not take one. I would advise doing a "Disney Walk" of about 2 or 3 miles for a couple of days in a row, to test how they handle it in a familiar environment.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)

Last edited by AshleeH; 01-13-2013 at 07:07 PM.
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
amomma23
DIS Veteran

Our two youngest kids will be 4 and 6 on our next trip. It will be their 3rd visit. I think we have decided to go with 1 stroller this summer. We think DS6 Will be OK, but DD4 will want something. When our oldest was 7, he did fine walking, but we let him sit in the stroller for parades and things to take a break which he appreciated.
It' s especially nice when your leaving with the crowd at night or after a parade. Makes it easy to keep track of a little one and I can tell DS6 to hold onto the stroller.
amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Do you have to use a double? Could you just use one single and let them take turns? We allowed stroller use up through age 5 - at 6, our kids were walkers and we had a few complaints, but not bad, even when we stayed for MNSSHP till midnight. I would guess that your 4-yr-old will need a stroller about 50% of the time and at other times your 6-yr-old could have a rest if needed. A single stroller is much easier to fold up and take on the buses and takes up less room in the room, too.

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

I would take one, lightweight single stroller. I think you will find that a 4 year old will need one, but not all the time, therefore giving the 6 year old a little bit of a ride break. We did not take or need one for our just turned 5 year old last year but some of his same age peers did need one. All fit active little boys.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
southernqueen
Earning My Ears

I'm going to take a fold away stroller.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
OttawaON
Earning My Ears

I would recommend taking/renting a stroller because your children will be tired from the extra walking. It also helps to prevent any meltdowns when you are all attempting to enjoy your vacation.
OttawaON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
squirrel
DIS Veteran

If it were me I would bring one stroller. Let the kids switch off riding in it.

Not sure what your touring style is like but if I was hitting the park everyday without a day off every couple of days then I would put aside some extra $ to rent a stroller in the park for the older one if needed. Probably won't need to do this unless you are open to close with EMH touring kind of family.

My niece's would sleep in the stroller if they got tired. Made the day much better as they could stay up later. Even at almost 5 yrs they would fall asleep. It was nice having a place for the water bottles, snacks and a change of clothes. I would also place the backpack (camera & camcorder) on the handles when I was pushing the stroller. I have carabineers on the stroller to attach water bottles to the stroller.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: