Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
HPS3
Disney Fanatic
 
HPS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Slidell,La
Posts: 1,705

Darn D600! Why do you have to be a duster?

This D600 dust problem is just driving me crazy. I'm not sure what to do. I know that all interchangeable lens cameras collect dust but how many do it without changing lenses. Nikon definitely made a ****oo with this one. There is definitely a problem with something internal spitting dust or oil all over the top left of the sensor. I am not a stranger to cleaning a sensor and have already cleaned this one once with Eclipse and sensor swabs. After about 200 clicks without changing the lens there is all kinds of junk on the sensor.

I shot mirrorrless for the past year and never cleaned those sensors once. I don't know why but the open sensor just doesn't collect dust like the DSLRs. I don't what to do with the D600. Should I return it or fight the dust issue and hope that Nikon admits to the problem and fixes it?

Even Lensrental.com has posted their findings on all of their D600s. Has anyone else experienced this before?

I don't mind cleaning the sensor when needed but I don't want to clean the sensor and right after have to try to spot remove spots as soon as I upload my images. I have a trip to WDW planned in a few weeks and shoot lots of landscapes in Disney and I think these are going to show up in my skies quite often.

This is @ F20

_DSC0944 by Harry Shields, on Flickr

@ F8

D600 Dust Problem @ F8 by Harry Shields, on Flickr
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.
 
photo_chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4,672

Wow... I don't follow Nikon problems since I'm a Canon user. But that is a serious issue. Are you still under warranty?

Some cameras definitely have more issues than others with dust. And some lenses seem to be vacuums and that dust gets gets deposited into the camera.

For whatever it's worth, I've never had to clean my sensors. I've had one since 2005, the other since 2010. No dust on either. I'm not particularly careful and I live in a very dusty climate. But I do keep my camera very clean on the outside and I keep my lenses clean as well.
__________________
Danielle

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
HPS3
Disney Fanatic
 
HPS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Slidell,La
Posts: 1,705

Danielle, the dust issue with the D600 is being posted all over the net. Its all over the DPReview Nikon FF forums. Some people say its no big deal and to just live with it but tgere are people with over 10000 shutter clicks with the problem continuing. There are even time lapse videos on Youtube showing the dust is coming from inside the camera.

My camera is less than a month old and still under warranty. The problem is that Nikon is cleaning the sensor under warranty but the shipping is on the owner. I just dont feel like Nikon should blow off the problem. It might not be expensive to some but $2000 for the D600 wasn't chump change for me.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog
 
WDWFigment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,205

Nikon will email you a 2-day shipping label for this issue. Just call them and request it.
__________________
Visit my new non-Disney travel photography blog.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
HPS3
Disney Fanatic
 
HPS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Slidell,La
Posts: 1,705

Tom, just the person I was looking for. I was searching your blogs all over because I thought you mentioned that your D600 was having the same problem. Do you find it going away after a number of shots. I have about 2000 shutter actuations. I really love this camera and never really paid attention to the spots until I shot a photo and the sky had those imfamous blobs in the top left corner.

Anyway I ordered some extra swabs to bring to WDW in February. I would hate to take lots of landscapes with the 14mm Samyang and have to edit 500 photos with spot healing.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.
 
photo_chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4,672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Danielle, the dust issue with the D600 is being posted all over the net. Its all over the DPReview Nikon FF forums. Some people say its no big deal and to just live with it but tgere are people with over 10000 shutter clicks with the problem continuing. There are even time lapse videos on Youtube showing the dust is coming from inside the camera.

My camera is less than a month old and still under warranty. The problem is that Nikon is cleaning the sensor under warranty but the shipping is on the owner. I just dont feel like Nikon should blow off the problem. It might not be expensive to some but $2000 for the D600 wasn't chump change for me.
Like I said, I don't follow the Nikon boards.

Sounds like something Nikon needs to address then. I agree, $2000 is a lot to spend and I'd expect to have a camera that wasn't a dust magnet. I also wouldn't want to have to pay for shipping either. Not only that, but you won't have use of your camera for that time. For some that means lost income. Will they continue to service the camera for this problem when it's out of warranty? Are they looking for a solution to the problem? This is something that could be a lot of additional expense in upkeep for those who own the camera.
__________________
Danielle

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog
 
WDWFigment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,205

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Tom, just the person I was looking for. I was searching your blogs all over because I thought you mentioned that your D600 was having the same problem. Do you find it going away after a number of shots. I have about 2000 shutter actuations. I really love this camera and never really paid attention to the spots until I shot a photo and the sky had those imfamous blobs in the top left corner.

Anyway I ordered some extra swabs to bring to WDW in February. I would hate to take lots of landscapes with the 14mm Samyang and have to edit 500 photos with spot healing.
Yeah, I had this problem, but it didn't appear for me until I shot about 2,000 frames or so.

Supposedly new dust/oil has stopped appearing for some folks after 10k frames, but I wouldn't count on that. I've heard that Nikon's fix is a mechanical one--they aren't simply cleaning the sensor for you.
__________________
Visit my new non-Disney travel photography blog.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
SplashMo
DIS Veteran
 
SplashMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,133

There are some threads here about the issue:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/1021
__________________
Spash Mountain!!!!
SplashMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!
 
Pixel Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 429

I had bought my D600 right before my trip back in October. I didn't notice the dust until I got home and started going through the pictures. It wasn't too bad, as most of my shots were wide open (playing with my new 50 1.4). But it definitely showed up with smaller apertures. Basically, it started showing up immediately for me. I had less than 300 clicks before my trip, and I noticed the dust on the first night's images. Almost 600 clicks at that point.

I went through the trip with 3,000+ clicks. I cleaned the sensor when I got home. Just with an air blower. It appeared that mine was only dust, no oil, as the blower took care of everything. Since then I've been dust free. 6,000 clicks now. And I change my lenses a lot.

I have also notice scratch marks on the shutter. As if the shutter blades are rubbing together. Maybe that caused some of my dust, and after several clicks it has broken in and stopped rubbing. That's one theory out there that my camera mimics. So many advances in photography and we can't have a shutter that doesn't cause dust?

Tom, I'm still using your Tokina 11-16 on the D600. It's still fantastic!
__________________
Franklin, 32 and Missy, 31 -- Check us out on Facebook!
Current TR: Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013

Past: Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
HPS3
Disney Fanatic
 
HPS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Slidell,La
Posts: 1,705

Pixel Dust, I'm glad to hear the D600 might clear up. Mine is not just dust. I wet cleaned the sensor last night 3 times and in between cleaning would run about 15 shots in continuous shutter and the spots would come back. It takes 2 swabs to get the hard spots off. I use a blower all of the time and that gets some off. I just wonder if mine will stop or not.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
rossb
Mouseketeer
 
rossb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 266

My old D7000 developed that issue after about 5000 shots. I cleaned it a few times and eventually gave up because the spots kept returning. I sent it in for warranty service. Nikon tried to fix it once and the oil spots came right back after they 'cleaned' it even though I specifically asked them to fix the source and not just clean it. My D7000 was stolen when I sent it back for a second repair attempt, but Nikon replaced it and the replacement seemed ok up until the day I sold it. I had to pay shipping for the first repair attempt and they paid for the second (stolen) attempt.

I never saw this issue with my D50 and D90. My D800 showed signs of oil once, I cleaned it and it has been ok since then. I use Eclipse fluid, Pec Pads, and sticks from my used Sensor Swabs.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating
 
handicap18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 4,651

This is what pretty much keeping me from buying this camera body. The issue is an internal issue. I haven't read anything about what Nikon is doing about future new D600 bodies being shipped.

I may wait for the D600s (or what ever else might be next).

Very disappointing especially since my D300 has had not ONE issue with dust and I'm at over 25,000 shutter clicks. It also has a self cleaning mode that has worked as advertised. Why can't the D600 be like this.

Grrrrr
__________________
My name is Kyle and I approve this post.
... ... ...
My Misc Pictures ... My Disney Pin Collection use kylegendron to view
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
HPS3
Disney Fanatic
 
HPS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Slidell,La
Posts: 1,705

Its definitely an internal problem. I watched the dirt build up after shooting continuous shots then inspecting the shot on the lcd without removing the lens after I wet cleaned it. Would you return the camera or wait it out and hope it wears off?
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
JediMasterMatt
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 29

There's nothing to worry about. It's oil from the shutter and it's been a part of every full frame sensor Nikon camera from the D3/D700 on up. The "consumer" models have more reports of it because they sell more and they are also in the hands of people that are more apt to post online.

The top left of the image will pick up spray and you should anticipate a wet cleaning from time to time. It's a by product of the proxmity of the edges of the sensor to the shutter. On a crop sensor, the edges are further away.

If you are purchasing a full frame DSLR, it's the price you pay for admission. A few quick clicks with the healing brush will take care of it in post.

The trick is to know when to clean and when not to get out the sensor swab or not. For just a few spots, it's usually not worth it as oil in the corners is much harder to get off than dust.

Suprisingly, the dust removal in the camera does a decent job - it just can't do anything with oil. My rule of thumb is to get the rocket blower out turn the camera upside down and see if the spot moves. If so, it's dust. If it doesn't, it's oil and needs a wet cleaning. Also, if you are just seeing it in the corner - chances are it's oil.

I wouldn't let any of this put anyone off Nikon's full frame offerings. The bodies are worth it and most certainly the lenses are.

Last edited by JediMasterMatt; 01-15-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
JediMasterMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.
 
photo_chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4,672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterMatt View Post
There's nothing to worry about. It's oil from the shutter and it's been a part of every full frame sensor Nikon camera from the D3/D700 on up. The "consumer" models have more reports of it because they sell more and they are also in the hands of people that are more apt to post online.

The top left of the image will pick up spray and you should anticipate a wet cleaning from time to time. It's a by product of the proxmity of the edges of the sensor to the shutter. On a crop sensor, the edges are further away.

If you are purchasing a full frame DSLR, it's the price you pay for admission. A few quick clicks with the healing brush will take care of it in post.

The trick is to know when to clean and when not to get out the sensor swab or not. For just a few spots, it's usually not worth it as oil in the corners is much harder to get off than dust.

Suprisingly, the dust removal in the camera does a decent job - it just can't do anything with oil. My rule of thumb is to get the rocket blower out turn the camera upside down and see if the spot moves. If so, it's dust. If it doesn't, it's oil and needs a wet cleaning. Also, if you are just seeing it in the corner - chances are it's oil.

I wouldn't let any of this put anyone off Nikon's full frame offerings. The bodies are worth it and most certainly the lenses are.
If that's the price of full frame on a Nikon then I'm glad I'm a Canon shooter. If a problem like this pops up on a professional shoot it can cause serious issues. I really can't see the pros I know who use full frame Nikons putting their trust into the brand if this is to be expected from the line. It's one thing if it's a known problem that Nikon is addressing. It's something else entirely if plagues every camera in their line.
__________________
Danielle

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.