Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
pantherlj
DIS Veteran

diagnosed with flu, told we can't have tamiflu rx

My 13 yr old woke up with the classic flu symptoms. I took her to a Minute Clinic (should be Hour Clinic, took almost 2 hours to be seen). She slept in the car while waiting. Dr (nurse?) confirmed it was the flue and told us rest, fluids and tylenol. I asked about Tamiflu to reduce symptoms and time of flu - that was really the only reason I took her was for the RX. She said they are only doing it for high risk groups. She first said the general population is over using anitviral meds so they aren't working as well (my child has never had an antiviral and on antibiotics once in her life). When I pushed, she said they have been advised to only give RX for high risk.

I am guessing there is a shortage. Wish they had posted that on the door to the clinic so I could have saved my $100 and 2 hours of time.

Wondering if i should call her pediatrician in the morning and see if he will give us the RX - closing in on those 48 hours that I have heard is best for Tamiflu.
pantherlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
lsyorke
DIS Veteran
Owner of squeeky bras

Tamiflu only potentially reduces the length of symptoms by .9 days and there are some reports out of the UK that the "preventive" use is not effective at all.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tamif...iveness-2013-1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harlankr...u-should-know/
lsyorke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherlj View Post
My 13 yr old woke up with the classic flu symptoms. I took her to a Minute Clinic (should be Hour Clinic, took almost 2 hours to be seen). She slept in the car while waiting. Dr (nurse?) confirmed it was the flue and told us rest, fluids and tylenol. I asked about Tamiflu to reduce symptoms and time of flu - that was really the only reason I took her was for the RX. She said they are only doing it for high risk groups. She first said the general population is over using anitviral meds so they aren't working as well (my child has never had an antiviral and on antibiotics once in her life). When I pushed, she said they have been advised to only give RX for high risk.

I am guessing there is a shortage. Wish they had posted that on the door to the clinic so I could have saved my $100 and 2 hours of time.

Wondering if i should call her pediatrician in the morning and see if he will give us the RX - closing in on those 48 hours that I have heard is best for Tamiflu.
AFAIK and according to the CDC, Tamiflu is recommended only for high risk patients.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
pantherlj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsyorke View Post
Tamiflu only potentially reduces the length of symptoms by .9 days and there are some reports out of the UK that the "preventive" use is not effective at all.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tamif...iveness-2013-1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harlankr...u-should-know/
Interesting articles, thanks for sharing.
pantherlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was available over the counter or something similar
Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Yeah, a very high resistance rate is developing with Tamiflu. Doesn't matter if your child has never taken it. It is the bug that is developing a resistance.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
bittybabygrower
Mouseketeer

There is a shortage and we have been told the same thing, high risk only.
bittybabygrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

In all reality, we are overusing medications and it is indeed causing many problems, such as resistant strains. So, it would make sense that they would say no to someone who is otherwise healthy and the Flu should be done in the normal course of a few days.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
EmJay2001
Mouseketeer

We all had the flu this time around. Took me about 5 days and the kids 6 days of fever, cough etc (they are 11, 8 and 3) before they felt better. All in all, it was not too bad on the kids. They just did a lot of lying around and resting. I did have to rotate a bit with the Motrin and Tylenol for two of them. They would be uncomfortable before another dose of Motrin so I would give a bit of Tylenol. It was over the holidays so they did not miss any school so I was lucky that way.

The eight year old did get the H1N1 a few years ago and he seem to fair the best this time around. His fever seem to come and go for the duration. So at least she will have some resistance for the next time :P.

Good luck!
EmJay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

I think Tamiflu is bologna. If not taken within the first 2 days of getting the flu it is basically ineffective. If you do take it in time it only reduces your illness by one day. It's been know to cause GI problems. It might ease some of the symptoms but so does NyQuil. Best thing to do is drink lots of water and wait for your body to get better.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78
I think Tamiflu is bologna. If not taken within the first 2 days of getting the flu it is basically ineffective. If you do take it in time it only reduces your illness by one day. It's been know to cause GI problems. It might ease some of the symptoms but so does NyQuil. Best thing to do is drink lots of water and wait for your body to get better.
I very much disagree with this. My 5 year old daughter woke up with a high fever and body aches the Friday morning before Christmas. I took her to the doctor that same morning and she tested positive for type A flu. She started Tamiflu that day and by Sunday (two days later) she was feeling fine and was able to enjoy Christmas. It's a miracle drug to me.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was available over the counter or something similar
No, it must be prescribed by a doctor.

My DD just got over the flu and pneumonia. It took her a week to feel good enough to go back to work.

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

I had the flu starting on Christmas. DH the day after me. We went thru it with no meds at all. I only took mucinex after to help get rid o the remaining mucus. We had all the symptoms. Honestly I expected it to be tons worse. Nothing I had to call a dr or go to ER for. Just stayed hydrated and lots of rest. Few days without any real food, then started on easy foods. Worse was over in a week. Then another week for just a bit tired and some remaining post nasal drip and little throat clearing.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
lsyorke
DIS Veteran
Owner of squeeky bras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I very much disagree with this. My 5 year old daughter woke up with a high fever and body aches the Friday morning before Christmas. I took her to the doctor that same morning and she tested positive for type A flu. She started Tamiflu that day and by Sunday (two days later) she was feeling fine and was able to enjoy Christmas. It's a miracle drug to me.
The problem with that is she may have gotten better without the tamiflu in that period of time. That is the controversy over it....they just don't have any proof that it does anything. There are milder and more severe cases of flu, so to assume that it was Tamiflu may not be accurate.
lsyorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
My kid took Tamiflu within 8 hours of his first temperature after swabbing positive for A. This was back in early December. (He was prescribed Tamiflu because there are two high risk people in the household.)

Fever came down with first Advil and never came back, never developed a cough nor the typical aches and pains, was feeling absolutely normal in 24-36 hours.

In our case, the Tamiflu worked wonders and took off almost a week of the flu. And we are pretty sure we know from whom it came and the same bug knocked a bunch of his friends on their butts. A close knit group of boys all came down with it at the same time. All swabbed positive for A. None had Tamiflu and all had symptoms for over a week. DS was the only one on Tamiflu and was the only one who did not develop symptoms except for that fever that first day. Not scientific evidence, but still a pretty good control group.

There are a ton of flu-like illnesses going around. Our ped told us that many of the clinics aren't even swabbing for flu unless high-risk. Just saying 'it looks like the flu." And because the non-high risk patients are not swabbed, they can't prescribe Tamiflu because it is not known if it is absolutely the flu or one of the flu-like illnesses going around.

It has been a couple of years now that the flu virus has been mutating to have a resistance to Tamiflu. Not prescribing it for non-high risk patients is prudent because you need Tamiflu to work for high-risk patients.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 01-13-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: