Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
lyra2007
Mouseketeer

Dinner on Arrival Night

Hi, everyone--I'm new to the forum and to Disney World, but you all have already given me so many great ideas! I do have one question, if you don't mind.

My 4 year old (almost 5) DD and I will be arriving Sunday morning, 2/24, following a redeye from the west coast. We have 4-day passes (military), and I know she will need a long nap, so I don't want to waste a day going into a park for dinner that night. Nevertheless, I want her first night to be special.

I reserved a dinner at Whispering Canyon for 515. We are staying off-site. My thought would be to go to TTC and activate our tickets (military requires some forms, identification, etc, and I'd rather do it when it's not crowded than on Monday morning), then head to Whispering Canyon. Can I get there without entering MK? We will not have a car. And can someone not staying on-site use the boats/buses? Which would you recommend as the best way to get to WC from TTC or MK?

Finally, is Whispering Canyon the best choice of the resort restaurants? I grabbed the reservation because it was a good time, and one of only 2 available that night. If not there, what would your recommend? PS--We have already scheduled 2 character meals during the week, so I don't want to do a third.

Thanks so much--you guys are awesome!
lyra2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
ses1230
DIS Veteran

You can take the ferry or monorail to MK and then ferry to WL. They drop off outside the MK gate, so you don't go into MK at all.

If you are a guest of the Disney resort (theme parks or hotels) you can use Disney transportation, so you are fine.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

I've never been to WCC but I've heard it's fun for kids.

I'd also recommend 'Ohana if you can get a reservation. They do a coconut race with kids and luau dance lessons. It's a really fun atmosphere. And if you can get a reservation 30 - 60 minutes before the fireworks you can request a table to see the fireworks from the restaurant.

'Ohana is at the Poly so you could drive to TTC and then drive over to Poly or take the monorail.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
If you are a guest of the Disney resort (theme parks or hotels) you can use Disney transportation, so you are fine.
Curious on this one. Can't you use transportation (monorail, boat, buses, etc.) even if you are not a Disney resort guest?
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
ses1230
DIS Veteran

I said resort meaning resort as a whole. A hotel guest OR park guest. Sorry if that was unclear.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
bek
Mouseketeer

You can get into Rainforest Cafe without going into Animal Kingdom but it's right at the entrance so you can get to the ticket windows easily. I think AK is the easiest park to deal with parking-wise. However TTC, Epcot, AK or DHS will be $14 parking fee since you're staying off-site.

If you park at TTC, then monorail or ferry to MK, take care of your tickets, then boat to WL for WC, then boat back to Contemporary after dinner, then take the monorail to the TTC for your car -- it'll be quite a bit of transportation time. You can park at WL (valet $15 or self park), then take the boat over and back to MK to take care of your tickets. But it will still be an hour or so of transportation time.

DTD guest relations should be able to take care of your military tickets. The parking is free (although it can be tough to find a spot) and you simply walk from the parking to the DTD shops. There are several places at DTD to eat including another Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex, Wolfgang Pucks, Raglan Road, etc. Kids usually love to visit the Lego store. DTD is probably the simplest option and it has a great Disney vibe.
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

Can I make a suggestion, if you are at WL for dinner at 5:15 and you are not in a hurry to get back to hotel you may want to head over to Contemporary and watch the fireworks from an outside balcony that is open to everyone.
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14

Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
lyra2007
Mouseketeer

Thanks, everyone.

We won't have a car...this came up rather suddenly (like Tuesday--SIL going to a conference and we are joining her), so trying to keep the costs down--or rather, to spend our money on fun and food! The hotel has a shuttle to TTC. I appreciate your clearing up the transportation issue.

Thanks for the Ohana idea...unfortunately the only available ADR is 945, and DD will never make that after travelling all night.

I like the fireworks idea if I thought she could stay awake, but I somehow snagged a Wishes ADR for Tuesday--is it the same fireworks show every night?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Another dinner idea would be 1900 Parkfare - Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters are there. It's a lot of fun! A great way to kick off the trip!

You'll also be at the Grand Floridian so you can watch the fireworks.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
partigus
Mouseketeer

sorry

sorry to bring this up on a "dining" board, but you mentioned you were military- probably totally booked- but did you call Shades of Greene? Their rates are based on your pay scale, so an e3 pays a heck of a lot less than an o5!

One thing that isn't as well know is the "overflow" agreement. Once SOG is sold out, you can often book heavily discounted rooms at other disney resorts not available to the general public (or at least you used too)
2011 Yacht Club (5)
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

One other thing you could do would be the Chip and Dale campfire at Ft. Wilderness -- it's a lot of fun! It's free for anyone, and you can easily get there from the Magic Kingdom. At the campfire, cast members lead a sing-along and Chip and Dale come out to visit. Then, they show a Disney film. You can buy hot dogs and nachos at the campfire, along with a s'mores kit. It usually starts around 6 or 7, depending on the season. Might be something to do after a quick (cheap) dinner off-property. Have fun!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra2007 View Post
--is it the same fireworks show every night?
Yes, it is.

Also, you mentioned that your off-site hotel runs a shuttle to the TTC. Is that the only place it goes? And are you planning on visiting all of the parks? If so, you may seriously want to consider renting a car. Car rentals are fairly cheap in Florida, and with a military discount, perhaps you can get one even cheapter. But if you are at Hollywood Studios, (DHS on these boards), until closing, and then have to make your way to the TTC, and then wait for your hotel shuttle to take you back to your off-site hotel, you could be looking at a 90 minute trip, easy. Maybe longer. As you make that trek, you might find yourself saying..."what I wouldn't give to be back in my hotel right now!" Well...what you could "give" to be back at your hotel is around $25 for a cheap car rental. Take a look at some discount sites and see what the price is. It might surprise you. While it may seem like an added expense now, it won't feel that way at 10:00 at night as you struggle to get back to your hotel with a young child.

Last edited by JimmyV; 01-14-2013 at 02:47 PM.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra2007 View Post
Thanks for the Ohana idea...unfortunately the only available ADR is 945, and DD will never make that after travelling all night.
Both 'Ohana and WCC have kids activities (e.g., races), but WCC has more antics (possibly, depending the server). So, if you're little one likes antics (see Allears for some examples, http://allears.net/menu/menu_wc.htm), then WCC is a good fit.

Regarding 'Ohana, if you think you and your DD would like it, I would keep looking for ADRs. Things do move around and you might snag something. I check daily when I'm hunting for something specific (e.g., location/time) and have had pretty good luck finding the right combo eventually.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
lyra2007
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice...the shuttle goes to all the parks. Discount or not, I don't think we have money for the park...spent it all on breakfast with Cinderella
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
'Ohana is at the Poly so you could drive to TTC and then drive over to Poly or take the monorail.
You can walk to Poly from the TTC which makes 'Ohana a really nice option for the OP.

Another suggestion is to go to DTD on that first night. There are lots of stores and some decent CS restaurants. T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe are also there. My thought is that you might not want a dinner reservation that night because you and your DD might just be beat -- even with a nap -- such that looking at the toy stores, World of Disney, and then getting an ice cream at Ghiradelli's might be plenty for the first day and special enough.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: