Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #31
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

Many people have brought up their medical needs as a reason for Travel Insurance. However, what would you do it your mom or dad or immediately family member died right before the cruise. Could you absorb the cost you would lose if you had to cancel?

In addition, the Magic was delayed coming into Galveston yesterday. Many of those people had to change their flights at a very high cost due to no fault of the airlines. Having enough travel insurance would also help with those costs. Also, many travel insurance companies have 24/7 help desks and with one quick phone call, you could have them sit on hold with their airlines making alternative arrangements as well as arranging for a hotel room if needed.

Just something to think about when thinking about whether or not you should purchase travel insurance.
TXinmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
sgoney
Earning My Ears

Insurance

I normally don't get insurance, but for this trip I did! We had a family concern (my grandfather was very sick).
sgoney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #33
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

I have purchased trip insurance for each cruise I've taken. Firstly because I can't afford to loose the money should something and I have to cancel at the last minute. Came very, very close once and the only peace I mind I had to a stressful pre-cruise week is that if we had to cancel we'd get our money back.

However, after that close call, I've acutally had to use the travel insurance on three seperate trips. Each invloved weather related delays and TI covered all of the extra expenses that were incurred as a result. And what I was reimbursed was way more than I paid in a premium. Well worth it in my mind.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #34
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
The only insurance I think is worth buying is the medi-vac coverage. The rest is a waste of money as my health insurance covers our family outside of the US. I just wouldn't want to be admited to a hospital in a 3rd world country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
I wouldn't cruise without it. I can absorb the cost of the cruise, if necessary, but the cost of any medical evacuation would bankrupt me. If I, or one of my family members, gets seriously hurt onshore, I want to be able to be evacuated to a US hospital to get treatment. Those evacuations are EXPENSIVE!

http://blogs.squaremouth.com/press-r...s-squaremouth/
That would be free if you are a U.S. Citizen and on an Alaskan/Hawaiian/Mexican or Caribbean cruise.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/air-...enger-15443765
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Heck, yes!
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #36
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXinmyheart View Post
Many people have brought up their medical needs as a reason for Travel Insurance. However, what would you do it your mom or dad or immediately family member died right before the cruise. Could you absorb the cost you would lose if you had to cancel?
Absolutely I could eat the cost of the cruise if I had to cancel. If I couldn't eat the cost of the cruise I wouldn't have bought the cruise to begin with. So I had to shell out $5,000 if I had to cancel I would be upset but it would not bankrupt me. I don't buy cruise insurance for peace of mind because getting or losing money does very little to improve or decrease my well being.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #37
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
That would be free if you are a U.S. Citizen and on an Alaskan/Hawaiian/Mexican or Caribbean cruise.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/air-...enger-15443765
No, it wouldn't. If you are seriously hurt while in Nassau, Costa Maya, etc. and end up in a hospital that is not properly equipped to handle your situation, the US Coast Guard isn't going to come get you and take you to a better medical facility in Houston or Miami.

Maybe you stay on the ship your entire cruise, I don't. Or maybe you don't mind the idea of getting treatment for a major medical issue in a hospital in Belize, I do. Regardless, the US Coast Guard is not going to cover all the issues that can come up on a cruise.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #38
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
No, it wouldn't. If you are seriously hurt while in Nassau, Costa Maya, etc. and end up in a hospital that is not properly equipped to handle your situation, the US Coast Guard isn't going to come get you and take you to a better medical facility in Houston or Miami.

Maybe you stay on the ship your entire cruise, I don't. Or maybe you don't mind the idea of getting treatment for a major medical issue in a hospital in Belize, I do. Regardless, the US Coast Guard is not going to cover all the issues that can come up on a cruise.
My Primary Care Doctor is from Belize.

Certainly not every medical issue will the U.S. Coast Guard come get you, but I suspect if medical evacaution isn't to that level, iTravel Insurance isn't going to pay for a Private medical evacaution either. Check the fine print. It only covers medically necessary medical evacuation, not evacuation to take you to a hospital you want to go to.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #39
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

trip cancellation - pay $80 a year on our credit card to have it

medical - my work benefits cover out of country emergencies. Would never leave Canada without coverage.

car rental - get it from our socialized car insurance in our provice. It's a small fee per day.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy

My Primary Care Doctor is from Belize.

Certainly not every medical issue will the U.S. Coast Guard come get you, but I suspect if medical evacaution isn't to that level, iTravel Insurance isn't going to pay for a Private medical evacaution either. Check the fine print. It only covers medically necessary medical evacuation, not evacuation to take you to a hospital you want to go to.
Are you just feeling the need to be argumentative? I'm fully aware of what my policies cover and what they don't; I read the fine print.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #41
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Are you just feeling the need to be argumentative? I'm fully aware of what my policies cover and what they don't; I read the fine print.

I think the point was that the vast majority of people don't read the fine points and have very little idea what they are covered for. Just reading through the posts here many are confused about what travel insurance covers and what it does not. I think his point was correct that medi-vac doesn't automatically ship you back to the US.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #42
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
trip cancellation - pay $80 a year on our credit card to have it

medical - my work benefits cover out of country emergencies. Would never leave Canada without coverage.

car rental - get it from our socialized car insurance in our provice. It's a small fee per day.
People I know in Canada & England both have access to way more reasonable coverage like you have.

Most credit cards in the US don't offer trip cancellation coverage - only lost luggage, death and dismemberment, rental car, etc.

Most medical insurance does not cover you outside the USA.

Most car insurance covers you for a rental car. But a lot of people are afraid if they use it for an accident with a rental car, that their rates will go up. Or don't realize they are covered.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #43
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr

I think the point was that the vast majority of people don't read the fine points and have very little idea what they are covered for. Just reading through the posts here many are confused about what travel insurance covers and what it does not. I think his point was correct that medi-vac doesn't automatically ship you back to the US.
That's the second time he's quoted my post and contradicted what I said. If he thinks the US Coast Guard is going to relieve him of the financial burden of cruise vacation mishaps he should probably read their fine print. I never said anyone automatically ships you back to the US. I did, however, refute his claim that the US Coast Guard would take care of all your medical evacuation needs, free of charge. It's a misleading thing to imply when giving people advice on travel insurance.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #44
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

I NEVER EVER leave home (on vacation) with out travel insurance. My insurance coverage that I make sure are covered are; Pre-existing Conditions, Medivac, Medical, Trip Delay, Trip Interruption, baggage, these are the things that are important to my family situation. I have elderly parents at home, my daughter (that travels with us) is severely disabled, I have arrived at my cruise port to find NO ship.

a note on Medivac - it just so happens that my husband is a Medivac pilot for our local hospital. The Coast Guard will transfer you form the ship to the closest medical facility free of charge. THEN if the doctor determines that you need to be moved to the US or closer to home you may be moved via a medivac helicopter or airplane and this is COSTLY! The cost for that aircraft to turn on the engine can start at $15,000 and they haven't even left their home base, the rest of the cost is a per air mile. I make sure we have a at least $500,000 in medivac coverage and I actually prefer 1million in coverage for that service. .....just me 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #45
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarasc View Post
I NEVER EVER leave home (on vacation) with out travel insurance. My insurance coverage that I make sure are covered are; Pre-existing Conditions, Medivac, Medical, Trip Delay, Trip Interruption, baggage, these are the things that are important to my family situation. I have elderly parents at home, my daughter (that travels with us) is severely disabled, I have arrived at my cruise port to find NO ship.

a note on Medivac - it just so happens that my husband is a Medivac pilot for our local hospital. The Coast Guard will transfer you form the ship to the closest medical facility free of charge. THEN if the doctor determines that you need to be moved to the US or closer to home you may be moved via a medivac helicopter or airplane and this is COSTLY! The cost for that aircraft to turn on the engine can start at $15,000 and they haven't even left their home base, the rest of the cost is a per air mile. I make sure we have a at least $500,000 in medivac coverage and I actually prefer 1million in coverage for that service. .....just me 2 cents.
^^ This. My family is young and healthy but that's almost scarier, traveling with teens the MAIN thing we have to worry about is accidents.

Plus, more things to consider regarding the medical evacuation coverage:

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net...rance/medevac/

I would think that more people who travel on DCL would be concerned about an injury while onshore that required hospitalization. What would you do to get your children back home, or yourself if it was your child hurt, if you didn't have medical evac coverage? The ship isn't going to wait for you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: