Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
joeyjampa
Earning My Ears

Smile Florida Discount During Summer?

I've searched high and low but I havenít been able to find an answer on this specific topic.

Iím a Florida resident and I have been a Disney World patron since I was born in 1987 (my parents brought me, they also love Disney). However, Iíve never been on a cruise. My wife and I are really excited to try and make this cruise happen but she is a teacher, and because of that, the only good time for us to go would be during the summer months.

I know that Florida resident discounts are available during the off-season and around 30-45 days in advance, but I havenít found anything concrete on whether or not the Florida Resident Discounts are ever available during the summer months. Iím hoping someone with experience watching for the discounts may be able to tell me one way or another.

Thanks!
joeyjampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

We were able to do FL resident discount once in May ($3,500 for 2 A 2 C on a 7 night Western in a Cat 4A). DCL summer pricing keeps getting higher and higher to the point where a summer cruise is a good deal more than a Spring break cruise. I interpret that to mean that demand in the summer is very high, so the likelihood of FL discounts is lower. I see a lot of them in Sept., Nov., and Jan. That said, prices are so crazy and they have been running a lot of VGT/IGT/OGT specials I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

I'm not a teacher but with two in school have the same limitations and decided Spring Break was the ideal time (warm enough but not too warm w/no hurricane risk). But you certainly won't be likely to get FL resident rates then.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran

We went on the Wonder out of Miami at Christmas on a FL rate, and my kids missed no school (left on Sunday Dec 23).

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
joeyjampa
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaneselover View Post
We were able to do FL resident discount once in May ($3,500 for 2 A 2 C on a 7 night Western in a Cat 4A). DCL summer pricing keeps getting higher and higher to the point where a summer cruise is a good deal more than a Spring break cruise. I interpret that to mean that demand in the summer is very high, so the likelihood of FL discounts is lower. I see a lot of them in Sept., Nov., and Jan. That said, prices are so crazy and they have been running a lot of VGT/IGT/OGT specials I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

I'm not a teacher but with two in school have the same limitations and decided Spring Break was the ideal time (warm enough but not too warm w/no hurricane risk). But you certainly won't be likely to get FL resident rates then.
Thanks so much for the great information. Unfortunately, my wife is actually due to give birth march 7th, making spring break not an option for us. But we've heard Disney cruise line is very great to their little cruisers, so we're excited to bring him along.

From what I gather with what you've told me, FL discounts aren't likely in summer but are possible, is that right? Iím not sure with the way we have a little one on the way that weíll be able to afford the full price without the discount this year. In which case, if we canít get a good rate this summer, weíll have to wait until either a. we can afford it, or b. book far enough in advance that the prices are a little lower.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
joeyjampa
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
We went on the Wonder out of Miami at Christmas on a FL rate, and my kids missed no school (left on Sunday Dec 23).

Nancy
This is another option for us... to just wait until next Christmas break, but isn't the water a bit cold then? We're hoping to enjoy everything a disney cruise has to offer including the crystal clear water at castaway cay.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

Well, that's exciting news! We cruised with two little ones in 2006 and used the nursery during dinner. It was tough tendering with strollers, but it was a fabulous trip.

FL Resident rates are unpredictable but are basically offered fairly last minute to fill the ship. I wouldn't rule anything out. You also might get a good IGT/OGT/VGT rate a few months out. Since 2009 when we last cruised, Summer rates have gotten much higher.

I would love to cruise at Christmas, but there is no way I could get in the water at CC. But I like it like bathwater.

Hope something falls into place for you.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjampa View Post
This is another option for us... to just wait until next Christmas break, but isn't the water a bit cold then? We're hoping to enjoy everything a disney cruise has to offer including the crystal clear water at castaway cay.
Well, I was raised in the north, and my mother is opposed to heat that she has to pay for so I'm used to cold...but I thought it was lovely the entire time. We went to St. Maartens, St. Thomas and CC, and went in the water at all three. We snorkeled at St. John and CC, and they were dragging us out of the water (could have stayed in another few hours) every time. I thought it was perfect.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
StJohnsCrew
Mouseketeer

One can only hope! We live in Florida, too. But I wouldn't count on it, summer is their busy time with all the kids out of school. Also, only Dream and Fantasy are in Florida for the summer. I would look for VGT/IGT/OGT like havaneselover suggested.

DCL: Dream - 2/3/11 - 3 Night Bahamian cruise
Fantasy - 5/19/12 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean cruise
Wonder - 1/19/13 - 5 Night Western Caribbean cruise
Magic - 11/29/13 - 5 Night Western Caribbean cruise
Wonder - 3/16/14 - 5 Night Western Caribbean cruise
Dream - 3/16/15 - 4 Night Bahamian cruise----------Crew of 4: DH - 52, DW - 41, DD - 12, DS - 10
StJohnsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

There were FLR rates in early August 2010 on the 5-night Wonder cruises. I have not seen any since. There were *GT rates on the Fantasy cruises all summer, but those rates are not as good as the FLR rates, nor the opening day rates (at least was the case for my June Fantasy cruise).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: