Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

As official family Sherpa (though less of a duty now that the kids are older) I always use my Lowepro Fastback 350 because it allows me to carry my camera with a 70-200mm lens attached (plus it is a comfortable backpack). I also usually end up carrying ponchos/rain jackets, snacks, bandages, tylenol, Lomography fisheye film camera, etc. in the top of the pack and whatever lenses and flash in the bottom. At the park the camera is usally out and around my neck.

I also carry a number of smaller memory cards and an extra battery. While I do back up my photos every night on a portable drive, I prefer to keep the photos on the card until I get home to get them on my desktop computer. Having had to recover photos for others from corrupted cards, I like to spread the risk of lost photos by using smaller cards. And since I have the room, I always have an extra battery, though I can usually get a couple days shooting off a single charge.

cpbjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
The curse of the Sony SLTs... battery drain of the electronic viewfinder.
Mirrorless have the same problem, maybe worse with their smaller batteries. The electronic viewfinder is power hungry, my G3 typically goes through two batteries in a 12 hour day at WDW. However, even with carrying the extra batteries my load is still a lot less than most dSLRs!

Walt Disney World photos? Yeah, we have "a few" at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser

This is the one that gets me. i have never needed a second battery. It's my nightly ritual on vacation to charge up and clear out cards.
While a second battery may not be needed for some, I consider it a necessity. Many cameras have inexpensive third party alternative that can save you a lot of money. Just make sure you read the reviews and remember it is just a backup.

On our last trip one day we had a glitch with our charger and it didn't charge our batteries, even though it said it did. Luckily we had our backup which alowed us to squeak buy that day. Also, if you shoot much video, prepare for more battery drain.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
Mirrorless have the same problem, maybe worse with their smaller batteries. The electronic viewfinder is power hungry, my G3 typically goes through two batteries in a 12 hour day at WDW. However, even with carrying the extra batteries my load is still a lot less than most dSLRs!
I had flirted with the idea of switching to the NEX for similar reasons... and all my Sony/Minolta glass could work with a Nex and an adaptor. But I realized, once I stuck on the adaptor and larger glass, I wouldn't really be saving much in the size/weight department, and I'd be losing a few things (like in-camera image stabilization)
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, dslr, photography

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: