Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #31
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeymama View Post
I know. In all honesty, 70 is not that bad. BUT, the humidity was really high throughout the last part of the week, and yesterday was certainly no exception. That makes it feel much worse. And I'm convinced I'm going through some "changes", which isn't helping. Tonight, the temp in the house probably isn't much different than yesterday. The difference is the weather outside. It is MUCH cooler.
to the bolded. 70 is usually cold to me, however, the humidity has been soooo high this week with our weather that I have had to turn the air on to get the humidity out to cool things off. In fact, at church today I turned on the air in our Sunday school classrooms because it felt hot, but the thermostat said 69 degrees. I bumped it down to 67 just to take the humidity out of the air and make things comfortable.

Don't even talk about hair styling this week! LOL

We have gotten the rain tonight and I can feel the temperatures dropping and humidity lowering, Yay! The front is coming through.

I am on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Tomorrow will be COLD for us at 50 degrees!
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #32
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
to the bolded. 70 is usually cold to me, however, the humidity has been soooo high this week with our weather that I have had to turn the air on to get the humidity out to cool things off. In fact, at church today I turned on the air in our Sunday school classrooms because it felt hot, but the thermostat said 69 degrees. I bumped it down to 67 just to take the humidity out of the air and make things comfortable.

Don't even talk about hair styling this week! LOL

We have gotten the rain tonight and I can feel the temperatures dropping and humidity lowering, Yay! The front is coming through.

I am on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Tomorrow will be COLD for us at 50 degrees!
If the weatherman is right, we've already hit the high for tomorrow (mid 40s). We shall see. DD is still hoping and praying the freezing rain/sleet comes early tomorrow and that we don't even have to leave the house. I'm thinking we'll actually make it to school, and they'll call it early in the morning. That's IF anything happens at all. Hard to believe I had shorts and a t-shirt on this time yesterday. Crazy weather. Nothing new here, though.
turkeymama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #33
lucyanna girl
My hair looks like Tigger spit out a hairball!
I have alot of AFV moments in my life.
he was no match for a scared mama with a water ski
I'm a Cheerios Girl Myself

Funny how many of us are from Louisiana. Near monroe here.

Penny
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #34
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyanna girl
Funny how many of us are from Louisiana. Near monroe here.

Penny
Me too. Wondering what will come of all this talk of winter weather advisories.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #35
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Hope you guys are surviving the weather up in north Louisiana . I heard that you may have sleet on your streets . Stay safe and warm!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

So far so good. A few of the very rural, northeastern parishes were released from school early. It felt like the entrance ramp to the interstate was a little slippery when I left school. It's been raining all day. Temps should drop to freezing within an hour or so, and it should stay that way until sunrise. THEN, they are predicting temps to drop down to freezing around lunch tomorrow. I just love our weather. The kids and I got home a little while ago. I couldn't help but notice DH left the thermostat turned up to 72. He is a big bear of a man. If he would just wear some clothing around the house as opposed to a tshirt and shorts, he might be able to regulate his body temperature. Meanwhile, the rest of us are stuffy and dried out. Gosh I just want to pinch him.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #37
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

You folks talking about the freezing rain and sleet, wear your seatbelts....

Had a weird flash freeze last week. Temps rose too quickly to 40° and the road surface was still cold when it started raining. Wife and mother-in-law crawled out without a scratch. She lost complete control.

So much for being car payment free. $384 left to pay on the loan. You win some, you lose some, I call this a win with them crawling out without a scratch.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #38
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Oh no, mrodgers! Thank goodness she's okay. Bummer about the car note, though. Where in the country is that picture? We don't get any kind of winter precipitation that white? Ours is inevitably freezing rain/sleet. Then it just turns to slush.

The kids and I are home today. Almost all the parishes around us closed schools today and I'm glad they didn't wait. Roads looked great first thing this morning. Now? Not so much. The freezing rain and sleet started after the sun came up. Local police have closed all interstate ramps due to accidents and deicing efforts. Most of the overpasses in and around town have been closed as well. They should reopen once the crews finish sanding/salting. I can't believe they didn't do all this yesterday in anticipation. That's why we act so crazy when there is a threat of winter weather around here. No one knows how to act. We do know we are supposed to go buy essentials, though, so I'm sure all local grocery stores are completely out of bread, milk, and eggs.

Meanwhile, DH has to figure a way to get across the river so he can go to work. Not sure how he plans to make that happen considering most bridges have been closed.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #39
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Good luck! Schools were closed here last week. We are still seeing rain and quite a bit of flooding. There is only one school still closed and that is because a levee breached and the school is flooded. I can't wait to see the sunshine again!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #40
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

I noticed y'all are getting more rain down south. We are out one more day for icy weather. I really think the roads are fine for most people, but there are lots of people without power due to broken limbs and power lines. People in the more rural areas of the parish may have trouble getting to schools. Oh, and the interstate entrance and exit ramps I use to get to school both had wrecks on them at various times yesterday. I don't mind the cold but I'm really ready for things to dry out.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #41
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I had to get up and turn the air conditioner on last night. It was 70 and although I freeze during the day if it's below 75, I can't sleep unless if the temperature is above 68. The weather is so variable here, I think I typically run the air conditioner almost every month out of the year.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #42
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh no, mrodgers! Thank goodness she's okay. Bummer about the car note, though. Where in the country is that picture? We don't get any kind of winter precipitation that white? Ours is inevitably freezing rain/sleet. Then it just turns to slush.

That picture is just a dusting, LOL. The week before the news was calling for 2 inches of snow or so. They lost it. I found it while clearing the driveway, the 2 inches they lost was underneath the other 6 inches, LOL. The next day we had another 5 or 6 inches. This is about an hour and a half north of Pittsburgh, or more important, about an hour and a half south of Erie since this is the weather we get. I am just north of the line of barely any snow and a ton of snow that is in Pennsylvania. A 6 inch snowstorm is just a dusting to me.

We don't get slush. Slush means it is warming up and everything is finally breaking up and thawing out. Two years ago, we got dumped on and I didn't see the road surface on the major roadways for almost 2 months.

In 2007 when I bought that car in the picture, it was 80° on January 30th while I was shopping around. When I test drove that car the next day, I was standing right next to the salesman literally inches away talking to him and I couldn't see him with the snow coming down.

When we moved into the house, the neighbor warned me about the snow drifting over the road on the other side of his house (out in the country, all fields and the road is a dead end.) I said, no problem, I've got the 4x4 truck and I'll just get a running start from my house. He said, been there done that in his full size F250 Ford. His truck was stuck there for 3 days.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #43
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I noticed y'all are getting more rain down south. We are out one more day for icy weather. I really think the roads are fine for most people, but there are lots of people without power due to broken limbs and power lines. People in the more rural areas of the parish may have trouble getting to schools. Oh, and the interstate entrance and exit ramps I use to get to school both had wrecks on them at various times yesterday. I don't mind the cold but I'm really ready for things to dry out.
We're supposed to have a sunny day tomorrow. The sun has not been out for a full day here since Christmas! I love cool/cold weather but not with all of the cloudiness and rain.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #44
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Are you kidding me? It was 70 degrees and you turned your A/C on? Even in the middle of the summer ours is not on until it is at least 80.
1990 - birth year? You're 22-23? Check back in with us on that "until it is at least 80" comment in about 30 years.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #45
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
1990 - birth year? You're 22-23? Check back in with us on that "until it is at least 80" comment in about 30 years.
I thought the same thing.
Until I had a hysterectomy, I was cold all the time. My first hot flash was in the recovery room!
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: