Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #16
indimom
Are We There Yet?

We are planning a tent trip for this July at the Ft. I've been lurking for some tenting information (and have come up with bits and pieces) but did notice its a little slim since most posters seem to have campers of some sort.

I will try to post a report and some pictures when we get back. We are not going to have an extravagent setup. It's going to be a pretty 'down and dirty' trip, since we are driving in a car from Indiana and we won't be bringing a ton of supplies.

We are only tent campers and are used to extreme temps and rain. We have camped in Northern Florida (near Destin) in June, and also at Mammoth Cave in July. Both were week long trips and it rained for three days of the MC trip. They were very successful trips and the rain was only a minor issue, so I have high hopes that we can manage an Orlando summer.

We purchased a new and larger tent last fall - the kids have grown. lol. We put it through its paces in October and discovered that the rain fly was not as good as our last one. The screen area of the front room of the tent leaks a bit, but we were able to rig up a large tarp to cover that. So, if we've got a few trees handy, I think we can rig something up to prevent leaks in Orlando.

We probably won't be eating at the tent much since we can't have a campfire and are not planning to drag the cook stove and other supplies. But, I'll provide whatever information I can.

All in all, I have high hopes that this trip will go well and I'll do my best to put some sort of report together afterward. Hope to hear from other tent campers as well!
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
kjsstar
Earning My Ears

I have tent camped twice at the Fort. My family loved it but my dad's back has forced us into a pop up camper. Whether staying in a tent or a camper the Fort is just a great place to be and so worth the value. Tenting it is a great way to save money and enjoy the most magical place I know. Hope you enjoy your stay and remember even the bad days at Disney World are great! http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/cool1.gif

kjsstar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
MattFromPA
Earning My Ears

We tent camped at FW this past November, the week before Thanksgiving. First off, we will be doing it again! Our kids are 1 and 3, so any camping trip is going to be a lot of work. We do own a TT, but the kids aren't old enough to handle the drive from PA to FL. We visited FW the first time we went to Disney and knew we would be camping the next trip. We took the Auto Train, which allowed us to bring an SUV and all the gear.

We spent the majority of our time at the parks, and never spent much time hanging out at the campsite. This tended to minimize the hassles of tenting. The main inconvenience is that you don't have your own bathroom/shower. The comfort stations were spaced such that we didn't have far to walk though. If you're going to do it, I would recommend bringing a dining room canopy tent. We had one that covered our picnic table and the camp kitchen we brought (table with built-in sink). It gives a little extra privacy. You get a freshwater connection, cable TV, and 30-amp electric service. Cooking is a must - the restaurant is great but was a 20-minute walk for us. So we brought a mini-fridge and a tiny electric range top. We made one major grocery run at the beginning of the week.

The weather is another factor. I brought (but didn't have to use) a very large tarp to cover the sleeping tent in the event of really heavy rain. What little rain we had was handled by the tent's own rain fly. Sleeping - the week had hot days and cool nights. We brought a ceramic space heater, mainly for the kids' comfort and used it most nights. We may be going back this May and will be bringing a free-standing air conditioner.

Dirt, etc: The tent site pads are mainly crushed sea shells and sand. You're going to track this stuff into your tent. The one thing I didn't bring was a broom. Next time I'll bring that and make a bigger tarp "porch" in front of the tent door to help keep the inside cleaner.

We made a packing checklist months ahead of time, and it paid off. There is some camping gear available at the trading post, and there is a close Wal Mart but we wound up having almost everything we needed. If you get the impression we brought a ton of gear, we did! I can share the packing list with you, just PM me.
MattFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
JanL
Native Floridian

I've camped at FW several times and always in a tent. That said, our club has reservations for August 2013 and i am splurging by renting an air-conditioned pop-up so I don't have to listen to teenagers complaints!

In cooler months, I would definitely use the tent, though, and save some money. Also, I use a sleep mask and ear plugs as a tent does not block out the sun or noisy campers.
JanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
cloudswinger
Earning My Ears

We tent camp all the time, and just did our first trip to FW this past Halloween. It was cold for us. But still awesome. We just bought a bigger tent, so we're planning something soon, maybe next week for somewhere near by. We spend a lot of time outside, the current tent is not so big that we want to hang out in it, but that's kind of the whole point. We're inside all too much anyway.

We like the flexibility of tents, sometimes our trips take us down waterways or dirt roads.
cloudswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
sjc011
Earning My Ears

I've been a long time lurker, but the OP convinced me to join. My family tent camped at FW when I was younger, and now I have my own tent to go to FW in a month and a half! I promise to do a pre-trip and post-trip report on my time as a tent camper.
sjc011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #22
Nature Mom
I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

My DD12 and I are big tent campers. As a family, we have a TT, but because our family has changed with the big kids being off to college or on their own now and DH always working, she and I are usually the only people that are going camping anymore so we tent it. We have a nice set-up, are very comfortable and totally enjoy our time, even in the occasional 3 day monsoons that pop up (TS Debbie, I am looking at you! ). She and I camp often, not just at FW, but at least once a month we take off to somewhere. Always in our tent. I am considering a pop-up lately though, not because I am tired of tent living, but more of I am thinking of taking our little traveling schoolhouse on camping trips farther away from home and I like the idea of a small pop-up for our comfort and convenience.

I have never felt like I was being looked down on by RVers, if they were then that is their problem, not mine. For the most part, I think campers are a good type of people. Camping is a lifestyle and the people who embrace this lifestyle are usually looking for the same kind of thing I am; Simpler times, fresh air and away from the 'buzz' that is modern life, connect with nature, increase family bonds. That's all good to me.

I have started a TR before, but never finished, so there are tenting TRs out there. lol We just get busy with the next adventure and forget to finish up the old one.

Nature Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
DizGurl4
Earning My Ears

We are tent camping in November! Woohoo! We tent camp through the summer closer to home and love it! Decided this year to combine our 2 favorite things, Disney and a Tent! I would love to see more tent TRs also. Enjoy reading them all but would be fun to see if more people tent it.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #24
Skip2MyLou
Mouseketeer

I have thought about tent camping at Disney. May main question is the weather.

I understand using a tarp to keep the falling rain out, but what about water on the ground? Are the sites slightly raised so that the water flows away from your tent?

Disney College of Knowledge Graduate - June 2013
Skip2MyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #25
michael61
Mouseketeer

My first time camping with my family was in Disney and because of the rain at set up and having a great time my new tent is 36 feet long with a slide out.
michael61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #26
michael61
Mouseketeer

My first time out there was rain and cold now 10 years later my tent is 36 feet long with wheels
michael61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #27
jeffrey66
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael61
My first time out there was rain and cold now 10 years later my tent is 36 feet long with wheels
micheal61, Im with you on that idea. I have been caught in the rain many times during a tent weekend so now I have a TT.
I will camp with a tent if I have an option when the weather turns bad. My son and I do a lot of paddling and camping on the lakes/rivers in the Adirondack mts.(NY) and will bring a tent with us to use if the weather is good. If the weather goes bad then we setup at one of the many state leantos which are used on a first come first serve basis.
Even though I own a TT I still believe that true camping is tent camping.
jeffrey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael61 View Post
Boy, do I agree with you! Our *only* experience with tenting years ago was limited to part of a trip - never again. We too, like to rough it gently off the ground - have to have our comforts and conveniences, but *love* to be in the outdoors

"Even though I own a TT I still believe that true camping is tent camping."

Sorry jeffrey66, we don't agree with you, but that's ok, we all think in our own way! :=}
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
jeffrey66
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse

Boy, do I agree with you! Our *only* experience with tenting years ago was limited to part of a trip - never again. We too, like to rough it gently off the ground - have to have our comforts and conveniences, but *love* to be in the outdoors

"Even though I own a TT I still believe that true camping is tent camping."

Sorry jeffrey66, we don't agree with you, but that's ok, we all think in our own way! :=}
Yes. I agree that we disagree about the idea of "rough it"
jeffrey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
snowmedic
Mouseketeer

We tent camped for 8 days at the Fort back at the end of Sept. and beginning of Oct. Stayed in the 2000 loop. It isn't as bad as every one says it is. Sure, your away from the Meadows and Pioneer hall, but if you don't like a lot of noise it is the perfect place. We checked-in on a Sat. early morning and it wasn't crowded, yet. After some time has passed the place began filling up. We would take the bus, (didn't rent a GC) to the meadows so the young ones could go swimming. It was rather noise at night, with the family reunion next site over, but your there to have a good time and so is everyone else. That Monday was nice, almost everyone left and we pretty much had the run of the place. The sites in the 2000 loop are spacious. There is 2 CS which I didn't find overly crowded. It was such a great time. We can't wait to get back there this year for Christmas / New Years.
snowmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: