Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Rland8228
DIS Veteran

how many people actually tent camp

It has been my dream (as you can see from some of my threads) to camp at the fort, my dad has always customized and worked for rv dealers, and it is my dream to own one. But that dream is a long way away lol. So for now its just a tent. I was just curious how many people actually tent camp at the fort? I get so excited when i see trip reports and no offense when i open it up it is most everyone that owns rvs. Just curious!?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Disneypeach
Mouseketeer

i have tent camped at the Fort 3 times...loved it, altho the last time i decided to splurge and get a site in the 400 loop...that was a mistake...very noisy being so close to the settlement and marina. Buses rumbling by at around 5am each morning too. the other two times i was in loops on the outer section of the Fort (don't remember which loops) and it was much quieter! I love camping, especially at the Fort!
Peach

Disneypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
cdnmickeyfan5324
Earning My Ears

Im not a tent camping person or even a camper for that matter. We used to camp a lot when I was a kid but have never really been able to see he benefits as an adult. I guess I like the conveniences. Have fun at the Fort!!!
cdnmickeyfan5324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rland8228 View Post
It has been my dream (as you can see from some of my threads) to camp at the fort, my dad has always customized and worked for rv dealers, and it is my dream to own one. But that dream is a long way away lol. So for now its just a tent. I was just curious how many people actually tent camp at the fort? I get so excited when i see trip reports and no offense when i open it up it is most everyone that owns rvs. Just curious!?
Have been camping all our married life, but mostly in RV's. Camped 4 nights in a tent years ago - no more for me, thanks - I love my conveniences Sorry! Definitely no offense to those that enjoy tenting though

We have a MH now, love it, and would not trade it for *anything*!!

There are lots of tent campers at FW though - maybe they just don't tend to do trip reports as much - don't know
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

When we get to go to the fort praying it will be this yr we will be tent camping only. Can't afford a MH big enough for all of us. It would have to be a tour bus like the duggars have. Lol
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
Readerbug
Using My Ears

I have, and we will do it in Apr.
May have our first pop up by then, but may not bring it.
True, there are not many tent TR's...why?

Is it more work, more dirt, less time? Or is the work with tent camping just psychological? Or, Like feeling like the RVer's poor relative? (and so tenters may secretly feel out of place, cloth in a steel wall civilization).

Not just OP. I used to feel like that sometimes. Tent camping at DW can feel like camping in NYC Central Park. Only to adults. Never to kids But, at the same time, there is this secret bargain hunter's delight, because the tenting folks- especially big families like mine- get all the same great benefits of the Fort and the World, for less! (and with a bit more adventure, depending on the weather!) Love that concept.

Makes me want to go, Now! just to put another "tents, tarps, temperature, cocoa, toast and downpours" post full of photos. I know I'll like re-reading it later

Tenting folks and families, a challenge and a request: Can you please add a TR to the forum this year? How about 25? Photos! We want to read it, (yes, yours.)
We are interested!

Even when I'm bringing grand kids in a long big rig someday, I will want to read all our tent trip reports, and remember !

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Readerbug
Using My Ears

And I got to add, (shhhh)
we even have a free dining pin.....or two...
and they are pitifully going to waste this year
because we all-perhaps DH excepted, would MUCH rather be at the Fort!
Even in a tent. Or especially.

Last edited by Readerbug; 01-13-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerbug View Post
I have, and we will do it in Apr.
May have our first pop up by then, but may not bring it.
True, there are not many tent TR's...why?

Is it more work, more dirt, less time? Or is the work with tent camping just psychological? Or, Like feeling like the RVer's poor relative? (and so tenters may secretly feel out of place, cloth in a steel wall civilization).

Not just OP. I used to feel like that sometimes. Tent camping at DW can feel like camping in NYC Central Park. Only to adults. Never to kids But, at the same time, there is this secret bargain hunter's delight, because the tenting folks- especially big families like mine- get all the same great benefits of the Fort and the World, for less! (and with a bit more adventure, depending on the weather!) Love that concept.

Makes me want to go, Now! just to put another "tents, tarps, temperature, cocoa, toast and downpours" post full of photos. I know I'll like re-reading it later

Tenting folks and families, a challenge and a request: Can you please add a TR to the forum this year? How about 25? Photos! We want to read it, (yes, yours.)
We are interested!

Even when I'm bringing grand kids in a long big rig someday, I will want to read all our tent trip reports, and remember !
Just to make you feel better, we, in our MH do not look *down* or feel *sorry* for tenters (well, maybe a little *feeling sorry* when it downpours )

Whether you would rather it, or maybe are just starting out, and it's a tent or none, doesn't matter, it's a totally *acceptable* form of camping

If it makes you feel better, we started out *many* years ago in a Volkswagon van camper (granted it was very gently used, but it was also our family vehicle - 0ne infant) And no, we were not hippies

We have camped our whole married lives, and have owned several different types/sizes RV's. But, we are now *empty nesters* and totally love and enjoy camping different places in our MH.

I am totally not being defensive, we have had many good and not so good experiences between *then* and *now*, but we have no qualms sharing sites next to any good folks, no matter what they camp in. (The only thing we have noticed in our travels is that those in tents seem to be (in general) a lot noisier than some) One reason, maybe, is that they tend to stay outside later (and talk louder than they realize) because, let's face it, not too much to do inside a tent

Now, back to those TR's - make them

I love to read them too, but I've never made one - just not my thing
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
disneystick
DIS Veteran

Done it 5 times!!!

We have stayed at the Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk and Yes we have tent camp when budget was a little tight... tight meaning, I use the tent as a place to just sleep, since we spend all day at the parks and rather use the $ for dining out for table service lunch and dinners. We eat breakfast at camp...cereal/bagels and the showers are very nice and kept clean. We usually go in mid March or the week after Christmas so the weather is very comfortable. Plus we still get to use all the activities at the fort just like everyone else in the RV or TT.

Do I feel others (RV/TT) look down on us tenters? Nope!! Campers in general IMHO tend to be very friendly folks and just enjoy being out doors more.

And if staying in a tent means more Disney for us....why not?
disneystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
DisneyFamily7
Disney Fanatic

We stayed in Fort Wildnerness in our motor home in 2003. It was the nicest campground we have ever stayed in and we had a wonderful trip. We have never stayed there in a tent, but we saw lots of families that were and they seemed to be having a great time.
[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Disneyland 1987, Disneyland 1995, WDW 1996, WDW 1997 (All Star Music),Disneyland 1997 (Disneyland Hotel),WDW 1999 (All Star Movies), WDW 2001 (Port Orleans Riverside), WDW 2003 (Fort Wilderness), Disney Cruise 2005 (Disney Magic)/WDW 2005 (All Star Sports), Disneyland 2007 (Disneyland Hotel),WDW 2013 (Pop) Next trip: June 2014 Disneyland
DisneyFamily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Willa
Mouseketeer

I recently posted a thread about two tent camping trips to the Fort. It's sort of a TR, so in case those of you asking for tent camping TRs missed it, here's a link -
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3042650
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Willa, I enjoyed your TR.
What is amazingly wonderful to me, is that you downsized from your nice trailer, back to a tent!
For simplicity? Economics? Nature? No need to say. But wow! I want to be like that.

There is a stereotype of "too x , x And x to be on the ground" so the tent camping has to stop.
I'm so glad you speak up, otherwise!
It is hopeful that more of us could keep up health and energy to do so, too, when we choose. And I am going to remember your 'visit the next loop' shower strategy.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Never tent camped at the Fort. We almost did...20 years ago. By that time, we were veteran campers, and a couple of years earlier, spent a week tent camping in the Black Hills.

That changed when we won a trip to WDW. Instead of a crowded tent, we stayed at the Contemporary.

The following year, we bought a timeshare. Five years after that, we bought a second week. So all of our major vacations are timeshares. We stayed at Orange Lake twice, and we're staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek this October.

However, we'll still pitch a tent. There's usually three of us, me, DH and DGD. It's a little harder now...I need the air mattress, and I didn't 20 years ago. I guess I'm getting old.

We usually go camping over the Fourth of July. Two years ago, we went to Cades Cove (Great Smokey Mountain National Park). Last year, we went to Mammoth Cave. We haven't decided where we're going this year, but we already have the time off for it. I'll probably do a mini-trip report within my October PTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
Willa
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the kind words, Readerbug. Downsizing probably isn't for everyone, but we have found it liberating in many ways. We are fairly young for empty nesters, I suppose (in our early 50s), so tenting is still easy enough for us. I can tell you though, from our travels, that there are more tent campers our age, and even 20 years older than us, than you would imagine!

I love tent camping, and I hope to be at it for a long time to come.

Lady BeBop, there is no way I would tent camp without my air mattress!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
Aryanna&BiancasMommy
Mouseketeer

Our last trip back in 2006, we tent camped at the fort. We will be there again March 30-April 6. Again, we will be tent camping. We had so much fun last time and we are looking forward to camping again. I will try to remember to post a trip report when we get back.
DD (11)
DD (2)
FDD (4)
Aryanna&BiancasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: