Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
AboutAMouse
Earning My Ears

Kids Club / Nursery Question

Evening All! I have a question on the kids clubs / nursery (on any of the ships, just looking for some general knowledge!).

A friend of mine is thinking of taking her family on a Disney cruise. He oldest has autism (he's almost 2.5 right now) and she's wondering how the kids club staff are with kids with special needs?

If anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated!

Sept 1999 Offsite (Honeymoon!) / Jan 2004 Offsite / Jan 2005 Offsite / Sept 2007 ASM / June 2009 ASM (SW Weekends!) / Oct 2011 ASM / Apr 2012 POR (Royal Guest Suites!) / Nov 2012 Disney Magic (Galveston) / April 2013 Disney Fantasy (PC) / Feb 2014 Disney Wonder (Miami)

AboutAMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutAMouse View Post
Evening All! I have a question on the kids clubs / nursery (on any of the ships, just looking for some general knowledge!).

A friend of mine is thinking of taking her family on a Disney cruise. He oldest has autism (he's almost 2.5 right now) and she's wondering how the kids club staff are with kids with special needs?

If anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated!
At 2 and a half he would be in the nursery. To use the Oceaneers Club/Lab a child must be 3 and fully potty-trained. While the CMs there will do their best at helping him im the club, there are no assigned CMs to assist special needs children. There are Open Houses during the day (usually 1 or 2 hours once or twice a day in either the Club or Lab) that an adult (parent) may accompany him into the club to participate if that would work for them.

Other than that, during Secured Programming hours, only the DCL CMs are allowed in the Club/Lab with the kids.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Your friend will find a lot of info on the Dis-abilites section of the boards.

The staff is quite good with special needs kids, with certain restrictions. They cannot provide one on one care, they cannot violate the age restrictions (a special needs 14 year old cannot be in the Lab). As above, to participate in the OC, a child must be FULLY toilet trained. That means able to handle all clothing and hand washing himself.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: