Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
flores
Earning My Ears

Olympus 4/3 lenses

I'm looking @ the new Sony A77 II camera but I really love my Olympus glass ( 12-60mm / 50-200mm & the 35-100mm). Can I use these on the Sony? Thanks in advance!
flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

There might be an adapter you could use. Have you looked at the Oly OM-D EM1? If I still had my 4/3 lenses, that's the one I would go with.

Pugrpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
flores
Earning My Ears

Lynn thanks for the reply, I have thought about the new Olympus OM-1 but i'm afraid that the camera & larger lens would make my setup look goofy. I'm also concerned 'bout noise with the higher ISO. I'm looking to replace my E-5 with something that would give me better pictures with low light situations. Of course I would love to keep these great lenses.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
havoc315
DIS Veteran

No, you can't use those lenses on the A77ii. Those lenses are designed for an entirely different sensor size and flange distance.

As a Sony shooter, I'll advocate for the A77ii which appears to be a fantastic camera. But you'd need new lenses. And if high ISO is your biggest concern, it's not the very best camera for it. It appears to have advanced quite a bit since the original A77, but it is still fractionally (a pretty small fraction but it's there) behind other dSLRs in high ISO (but is superior to other dSLRs in other ways).
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM   #5
katiescat
Earning My Ears

It's a different sensor, so it won't work well, even with an adapter.
katiescat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:50 AM   #6
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flores View Post
Lynn thanks for the reply, I have thought about the new Olympus OM-1 but i'm afraid that the camera & larger lens would make my setup look goofy. I'm also concerned 'bout noise with the higher ISO. I'm looking to replace my E-5 with something that would give me better pictures with low light situations. Of course I would love to keep these great lenses.
I don't think you have to worry about noise at higher ISO's or low light situations. The EM-1 is way better than the E-5. I have had the EM-5 for a couple of years and have shot quite a few pics in low light and high ISO's. If you need to use noise reduction, they clean up quite well in LR. And if you pick up one of the excellent and fast m4/3's primes, you'll be in good shape.

You already have a lot invested in excellent lenses and people who use those lenses on the EM-1 say they balance very well on it. Here's the review of the EM-1 by dpreview.com if you haven't seen it yet. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/20

When I first saw the 12-60 I thought I would never get it because it was too big, but I ended up buying it for my E-620 and hardly ever took it off! If I still had it, I'd be looking hard at the EM-1.

Pugrpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #7
flores
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the links & excellent advise. I think that I am going to stay with Olympus due to their lens. Actually that's the main reason why I went with Olympus. I'll post some photos that were taken with these great lens. Thanks again...as soon as I get the new OD-DE-M1, I'll post my results.[/IMG

Last edited by flores; Today at 11:31 AM.
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #8
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Here is one of the items in the review that Canon and Nikon do not want us to see:
"Its Four Thirds sensor is smaller than the APS-C imagers of its Nikon D7100 and Canon EOS 70D peers, but we think the difference it makes in real world shooting is hard to spot. You need to put the E-M1 up against a full frame camera to really see a significant difference in image quality."

This applies to most recent micro 4/3 cameras as the sensors have really been improved in the last few years.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #9
flores
Earning My Ears

Photos with Olympus glass

[/IMG]

These are the reasons why it's hard to get rid of these outstanding lens.

Last edited by flores; Today at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: