Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
sambisc
Mouseketeer

staying at the resort all day instead of going to the parks

does anyone ever stay at the resort all day instead of going to one of the parks? thought of doing this for a "down" day.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

We often have non-park days during our trips (the longer the trip, the more non-park days). Sometimes we'll stay at the resort and have a VERY lazy day: sleep in, late breakfast, stroll around the resort, swim, soak up some rays, read, nap,.....

Other times we'll do a bit of that and then leave the resort for something else: golf, DTD, water sports. Maybe a dinner show in the evening. Things you're too tired to do after a full day in the parks. It's a great way to recharge after a few hectic days of park touring.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambisc
does anyone ever stay at the resort all day instead of going to one of the parks? thought of doing this for a "down" day.
Nope. Never. I think its a waste of time personally. Lol. I came to Disney to do the parks, not chill at the resort. That just us. For the record, we take an afternoon break each day. We go to the parks in the morning and night. So we don't feel the need to take an all day break.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambisc
I'll do a half day at the resort, but any longer than that and I start to go stir crazy knowing how much there is to do if I just hop on a bus!

If you've got kids who are entertained by resort pools and arcades, though, I can definitely see it being a nice way to spend a day.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

my goal is to visit WDW and not do parks at all.....we'll see if that ever happens! I LOVE hanging out at resorts,and being lazy!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
monami7
DIS Veteran

We have a few days every trip that are down days. We are dvc members and go once or twice a year. It is nice to relax and enjoy what the resorts offer. This upcoming trip we have 4 non park days planned.
Last thanksgiving we did a 3 day trip at old key west with no parks. It was wonderful.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Depends on where we are staying.
Our vacations at POP - no way...rooms to small, resort too loud - not condusive to a relaxing at the resort kind of day. That being said - when we booked it, we knew we were planning on a go..go..go kind of vacation.
This past trip we stayed at AKL because we wanted to factor relaxation into our trip. It was fabulous. I could easily spend a full day there..in fact, if I was a gazillionaire I would still be sitting poolside as I type this.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I would also say it depends on the length of your trip, and what resort you are staying at. On our longer trips of 10+ days we may have a no park morning/afternoon, then go to dinner and a park at night. Sometimes (in summer) we will go to DTD or a water park during the day.
Last August we were staying CL and never made it out to the parks much at night. We'd get back to AKL mid day, or late afternoon and hang out at the resort.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I did an entire week in July without entering a park. We stayed GF RPC and rented a pool cabana every day. It was a nice getaway.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

We never had a day where at some point we don't go to a park. On days where we are planning to go to a party, like MNSSHP, we don't go to the park until it's time for the party. Our next trip will be in September and our last night will they will hopefully have MNSSHP. Since we will be leaving early the next day, we will sleep late, eat lunch at the resort, and have some pool time before heading to MNSSHP.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

We always plan one resort day. However, that can include Downtown Disney too.....the kids like to have one day where they can swim or and play in the arcade and not have to rush to eat or leave. That said, we did the waterpark option on our last trip and will do it on the next. AWESOME!!!

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
brockash
DIS Veteran

We started doing this a few years ago, and these are sometimes my favorite days. It's great to know we can sleep in as long as we want, have a nice late breakfast lounge at the pool a bit, and then we usually head to DTD for dinner and just to "get out" lol.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
DoleWhipMom
Mouseketeer

We love down time at the resort especially when we stay at the Beach Club. We still usually stroll over to Epcot for dinner but love hanging out at the pool all day. We’ve done the same at POR and taken the boat to DTD in the evening and WL and boating it to Contemporary and having dinner at one of the monorail resorts. We also go to Disney a lot so we don’t feel like we have do every ride/show each trip because we know we will be back. I personally could stay a week at the Beach Club floating in the pool.
2001 Jul POLY, 2002 May POR, 2003 Oct POR, 2004 Aug/Sept USO HR, 2005 Jul USO PB, 2006 Aug/Sept POR, 2007 Jul USO PB, 2008 May USO RP, 2008 Aug/Sept WL, 2009 Aug/Sept POFQ, 2010 Sept BC, 2011 Aug/Sept BC, 2012 Aug/Sept POR/AKL/YC, 2013 Aug YC
DoleWhipMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
jediranger3
Disney and Universal Veteran

We usually do 2 days at a park, one day to relax, then 2 more days at a park. It works well with our little one. We spend all day at the park. Alternating between rides and shows.

jediranger3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: