Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
SW-Ont-family-of-5
SW Ont Family of 5

Question POR vs Poly vs BC for family of 5 in Dec

We are planning a 10 night trip in early Dec 2013 (likely Dec 1-11) and are a family of 5 (kids will be 12, 9, 6). We have stayed at the Poly and the Contemporary in the past but are considering a switch to either BC or POR for this trip. Using rack rates and the dining plan the cost savings between the Poly and POR is huge - around $2500-3000 for our trip. Although we will miss the convenient location of the Poly and the monorail, we will have our own car so transportation is really a non issue. We have driven to AK and HS every other trip. The POR resort grounds and pools look great. We are concerned about the room size though. We typically unpack and put the suitcases back in the car. I am thinking that we will really only be in the room to sleep now that the kids are older. And there is no stroller to store this time. We typically eat most of our meals at the park so food selection isn't really an issue either.

Are the rooms really that much smaller than what we are used to at the Poly? Any insight from other Poly lovers - Will we be really disappointed if we make the switch this year? If we check in and hate it what are the chances of a deluxe being available for us to switch? Would we be charged rack rate or would they apply the discount we used to book?

Thanks ... I am really having a hard time deciding and don't want the room choice to disappoint.

Amy
SW-Ont-family-of-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both the Poly and BC, but not POR. With that said, we have stayed at one mod (CBR) and the rooms at the mods are considerably smaller than the rooms at the Poly and BC (with the BC rooms being smaller than the Poly rooms). If you check in at POR and really don't like it, you will be able to switch to a different resort, pending availability. If you book one resort with a discount and change resorts when you get there, usually you lose the discount and pay rack rate at the new resort, but that may depend on the CM and whether or not the discount is still available at the new resort you want. If it were me, I'd stick with the Poly for the larger room with 5 people. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

If you go to the allears website, you can find out the size of the rooms under accomodations. Maybe that can help you make your decision.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
SW-Ont-family-of-5
SW Ont Family of 5

I did check out the room sizes and there is about a 100 sq foot difference between the Poly and POR. That is substantial enough to make a comfort difference if we end up spending more time in the room but still not sure if it justifies the cost difference.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
SW-Ont-family-of-5
SW Ont Family of 5

Also looking for reasons .....

that you would pick one over the other! Thanks ... I have never waffled on resort choice like this before!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW-Ont-family-of-5 View Post
that you would pick one over the other! Thanks ... I have never waffled on resort choice like this before!
I would choose the Poly over POR for the larger room, tropical atmosphere, beach for watching the fireworks, convenience to CR/GF for shopping/more dining options, close proximity to MK, and walking distance to TTC to catch the Epcot monorail.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

I would consider a split stay. Save some money with several nights at POR first (this will also give you an opportunity to "try it out" to see if you like it enough to give it a try for a future budget trip). Then switch over to Poly, CR or BC for your last 5 nights. Something like that.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

For 10 nights, I would consider a split stay, too. Moderate first, then move to deluxe. Also, have you priced out the Wilderness Lodge? I have read that the rates are less there, and it's a "Magic Kingdom" resort, even though it's not on the monorail.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

we have stayed at POR and the Poly. The room size is a big difference. The POR can be a tight fit for 5 people. and for 10 days it would be crowded. I would suggest a split stay

have you looked into renting DVC points-- with 3 kids it was great to have all the extra space, full kitchen, washer /dryer and in some cases 2 bathrooms.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM View Post
For 10 nights, I would consider a split stay, too. Moderate first, then move to deluxe. Also, have you priced out the Wilderness Lodge? I have read that the rates are less there, and it's a "Magic Kingdom" resort, even though it's not on the monorail.
WL rooms are 4 people limit. No day bed.

OP- there is a large dif between room size between Poly, ESP the newer longhouses like Tokelau which have larger rooms. We love POR, but you will notice the difference. We are only 2, so when we stay at POR we are comfy, but I couldn't imagine squishing in 5. I know people do it, but I've heard the new Murphy bed takes away storage room.

Bc is great and will afford some savings from Poly. And walking dist to 2 parks.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
PrincessTaylorsMom
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at all 3 and would agree with PPs that room size at POR would be a little tight. For room size alone, Poly definitely wins. Plus, the holiday decorations with the tropical theme are just so great in December.

But our favorite is definitely BC. True the rooms are smaller than Poly, but we love the location...walking distance to 2 of our DDs favorite parks. Plus Stormalong Bay is definitely an awesome advantage.

Might be a good idea to think about where your family will want to be spending the most time. If it's MK, then definitely go with Poly. If it's EP or DHS, BC is the one.

12/14 Port Orleans Riverside 4/13 Beach Club, 10/2011 Beach Club, 9/2009 ASMu, 12/07 Poly, 7/95 Dixie Landing, 1977-1986 Off site (many times with mom & dad)

PrincessTaylorsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M

WL rooms are 4 people limit. No day bed.

OP- there is a large dif between room size between Poly, ESP the newer longhouses like Tokelau which have larger rooms. We love POR, but you will notice the difference. We are only 2, so when we stay at POR we are comfy, but I couldn't imagine squishing in 5. I know people do it, but I've heard the new Murphy bed takes away storage room.

Bc is great and will afford some savings from Poly. And walking dist to 2 parks.
I agree. We've stayed at POFQ and Poly and the difference in room size is significant. Especially with the Murphy bed down in the POR room it seems like a tight fit for 5. We have two kids but they don't like to sleep in the same bed so the daybed at the Poly was a great feature, and room just felt much larger. You might also consider the garden wing at the CR for a slightly more reasonably priced option. I think the rooms are roughly the same size as Poly and also have the daybed. We've also rented points at OKW before and the extra space was great and for a reasonable price.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: