Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Question If i wanted your opinion I would ask for it!"

"IF I WANTED YOUR OPINION I WOULD ASK FOR IT!" Well I'm asking.

Now that I have your attention.

Background. -Single Mom -taking 2 youngest (of 3) boys on first cruise. .

I'm joining a friend and his 2 girls on a 4 day Dream cruise in August. Got a good deal on a 11C GTY. Booked. He's in a 5E cabin 10662 - Hopefully I'll get close to them but I'm just happy being on board!

My DELIMA: I found an awesome deal on the 3 day cruise right after the 4 night. Basically I am paying the same per person rate for a 7A GTY that I paid for my 11C 4 night.

Should I do it though? A back to back first time cruising? What if the boys don't like cruising, (I'm pretty sure they will though - they are excited! BUT I won't really know until we go?)

What if at the end of the 4 day cruise they say they wish that we were getting off the boat to do a park? My friend and his daughter aren't doing the 3 night because he is worried about my concerns stated above.

It's just so hard to walk away from a verandah that I only paid $1400 for the 3 of us and currently the 11B is $1681. I HATE giving up a great deal.

I am really driving myself crazy over this but if I'm going to ask anyone it is the fine and experienced people on this board.

So - Please give me your opinion on what you would do.

Its your first cruise, alone with your 2 kids, your booked for the 4 night - if the price was right would you stay on and do the back to back 3 night cruise? Or would you get off the boat and do the parks - remember - I'm flying solo on the parks if we go.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Holy canoli! If I could do back to back, I would in a minute! The more cruising, I think, the better! But then again, I love the parks too... and you can probably go to WDW a lot cheaper than the second cruise and you still have to do all the tipping, incidentals etc... just some things to think about. But most people will say 7 days is better than 3/4!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
PWammy
Mouseketeer

I'd cruise with my friend and then do the parks. That's a good deal, but honestly, good deals are all over the place these days, depending on what time of year you want to sail. You can always do another cruise with your sons at a later date.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
timweston
Earning My Ears

I'm not a parent, but as someone who just went on his first cruise (7 night Fantasy) with his family (parents, sisters and niece), I'd do it in a heartbeat. My niece (5) wasn't at all bored for the entire week, and neither were the adults.

Also, as someone who has been to WDW countless times (FL resident), I'd rather be on a cruise in August than in the parks. The Florida heat can be downright unbearable in August; at least with the cruise you can be indoors if you'd like.

Just my two cents :^)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Glad you asked, because I love to give my opinion!

Do the B2B!! You and the boys will love the cruise! (unless you happen to get ill, which really is a more a reflection of illness than the cruise, unless it is seasick!)

Disney cruises are awesome. The Aquaduck is a blast. Plus, you can never do everything available on the cruise. With a B2B, you can concentrate on your "must-do" activities the first time, then try the other things or hit the deck for relaxation time on the three night.

You will know you made the right choice when you see the tears in your friend's eyes as he gets off the ship and you get to stay. I feel bad for his soon to be sobbing daughters.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
KWithers
Mouseketeer

Personally, I'd do the first cruise, then the parks. I like to do the most I can fit in to my vacations though. If you do back to back, won't the entertainment be the same? And you won't get the extra perks of an actual 7-day like the character breakfast.
I'd also ask my kids what they wanted to do. This is a good dilemma to have, I must say!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
calismic
Mouseketeer

I'd do the B2B!! We did a 3 night cruise and then the parks and all I wanted to do was go back on the cruise. Don't get me wrong I love the parks, they used to be my obsession, but I'll be hard pressed to give up the pampering of DCL!

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWithers View Post
Personally, I'd do the first cruise, then the parks. I like to do the most I can fit in to my vacations though. If you do back to back, won't the entertainment be the same? And you won't get the extra perks of an actual 7-day like the character breakfast.

I'd also ask my kids what they wanted to do. This is a good dilemma to have, I must say!
Yes, the meals and entertainment will be the same, but there's enough activities that you don't have to do the same thing. Unless you want.

As for the character breakfasts, even the 7-day cruises on the Fantasy don't offer them. (Dining rooms are too large; tables too close together.) Character breakfasts are offered only on the classic ships.

Asking the kids is a good idea -- they like being part of the decision process. As for the summer heat at WDW -- we went in July. Never again. I live near Phoenix and am accusstomed to the heat, but the humidity at WDW is just too much.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

I have never done a back to back, but I have done a 4 night followed by WDW, and it was too much for our family (boys 7,9, and 11). We felt terrible in the parks and did not enjoy it as much as we have in the past. I even ended up with walking pneumonia. After reading, I also realized that part of our problem could be sea legs, so just be aware that it might be somewhat exhausting trying to do parks after.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I'm a totaly DCL addict so I'm all for the idea of a B2B; however, you didn't mention how old your kids are. Will they be "outgrowing" the magic of Disney anytime soon? I know you're never too old for WDW but let's face it...a 13-year-old simply doesn't love Small World as much as a 6-year-old does. That would be my only reason for doing WDW instead.

We actually had this same dilemma (well, without the amazing deal!). We were going to do a 3-day in November and then spend a few days in the parks but then we realized that we could do a 4/3 B2B instead and we jumped on it. My kids know that they aren't going back to WDW until 2015 and they were totally fine with that. They're cruise addicts too!

Good luck with your decision!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Character breakfasts are only on the classic ships so a 7 night fantasy wouldn't have it anyhow. B2B is the way to go. But if you think the kids would have more fun staying together then I would recommend doing the activity that keeps them together. Parks after cruise are always sad, not a bad vacation by any means but we find cruising to be such a great value. You will have some repeated menus and activities but that's okay too some of those things are fun the 2nd time around. Plus you will get two days at CC. And you can skip Nassau the 2nd time around.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
Character breakfasts are only on the classic ships so a 7 night fantasy wouldn't have it anyhow. B2B is the way to go. But if you think the kids would have more fun staying together then I would recommend doing the activity that keeps them together. Parks after cruise are always sad, not a bad vacation by any means but we find cruising to be such a great value. You will have some repeated menus and activities but that's okay too some of those things are fun the 2nd time around. Plus you will get two days at CC. And you can skip Nassau the 2nd time around.
OTOH, if this is what it sounds like it is (let the kids meet each other in a neutral setting), they may relish time apart with their own parent rather than this forced togetherness 24-7. I may be reading way too much into the original post, but that's how the situation reads...
Old 04-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

My first thought was definitely back to back cruise. Our first cruise was a 4 day and I do recall wishing it was longer when we got off.

But we also love having some place special to go to after the cruise (Downtown Disney, WDW or even Universal) even if it is just for a few hours at Downtown Disney before our flight....

But you mention going solo at the parks which makes me think your two sons are on the young side....
I would so much rather be on a cruise with young kids if I was traveling as the only adult... Just so much easier and more relaxing...
Plenty to keep them busy for a week on the ship
Old 04-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
WallaceFamily
Some faith, trust and pixie dust.

B2B!!! Your friend is gonna kick himself in the butt for not deciding to do B2B with you. I swear it.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

B2B taking the lead?

It looks like the B2B cruising is taking the lead.

I had asked my boys who are 10 and 8 and they said if we were only going to do one park/one day then they would rather do the 3 day cruise. (Kids always want more). We did WDW in 2010 and now they want to do Universal. But I have to see if my 8 year old would be able to do all the Universal rides.

But I may ask them again if we were to do 3 day cruise vs. 3 days parks WHAT would they choose. (Apples to Apples)

The point about the parks in August was a very good one! Definatly something for me to think about. I did WDW Sept 2005 and it was HUMID! Plus it rained every afternoon.

And as someone said....this is a very good dilemma to have!

See this is why I came to you all - YOU GET ME!!

My non-DISney fanatic friends just don't understand!

I admit that I need to STOP over analyzing it to

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014

Last edited by baleeve; 04-30-2013 at 02:34 PM.
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: