Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Question Papermasher bags? (Tried them. Post #31)

I hate shredding office documents. Just learned about this method of putting them in washing machine in these reusable bags. I am seriously thinking of buying them. Has anyone here used them? Results?

http://www.king5.com/news/consumer/L...186564221.html

Wondered if you found them at a store besides their website? Like maybe Bed Bath & Beyond? http://www.papermasher.com/

Last edited by beaucoup; 02-21-2013 at 08:10 PM.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Seems wasteful, a shredder uses very little energy compared to running a load of laundry counting the water usage and the fact you need to use hot water.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
Seems wasteful, a shredder uses very little energy compared to running a load of laundry counting the water usage and the fact you need to use hot water.
I supposed that would depend on how much water you are putting in your washing machine. I have a HE machine that uses much less water than older top load machines.

I'm still interested. Baby sitting a shredder. It over heats. Waiting for it too cool down. Unclog it. Oil it. Sharpen it. Empty the multiple bags. Pick up spilled confetti.

Still interested.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
I supposed that would depend on how much water you are putting in your washing machine. I have a HE machine that uses much less water than older top load machines.

I'm still interested. Baby sitting a shredder. It over heats. Waiting for it too cool down. Unclog it. Oil it. Sharpen it. Empty the multiple bags. Pick up spilled confetti.

Still interested.
We have a shredder for 5 years now. Except emptying it and pick up the confetti while emptying it, we never need to wait for it to cool down, unclog it or oil it.

We shred about 10 pages per day.
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post
We have a shredder for 5 years now. Except emptying it and pick up the confetti while emptying it, we never need to wait for it to cool down, unclog it or oil it.

We shred about 10 pages per day.
Same here.

I am not wasting my water and washer to save a few minutes for myself. Maybe a new shredder is what is needed.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:

Still interested.
oil it? sharpen it?? What the heck are you shredding in that thing, sheet metal????? I have had one almost ten years and have NEVER done either of those things to it!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

ROFL. Only the DIS experts can tell you that you are incorrectly following the owners manual of every shredder you have owned or used in an office.

Known fact that shredders require periodic oiling & sharpening to run at top performance. Oil sold specificially for this purpose. Sandpaper or foil run thru shredder to sharpen. And known fact that paper dulls blades terribly. Any paper crafter can tell you that that is why they have one pair of scissors for paper & another really sharp pair for ribbon & material. Also, shredders have built in safety feature to shut off & cool down when they are used too long & get too warm. At least everyone I ever have used has. And a little red light. Just like the safety feature on hair dryers. Explained in manual.

I know not everyone reads manuals, but that has been my experience with the 3 shredders I have owned at home, and the umpteen shredders my office has gone thru in years before going with a shredding service.

I really wasn't looking to have a conversation about shredder maintanence.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

so to answer my original question, NO, none of you have used the bags. thank you for your replies.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
ROFL. Only the DIS experts can tell you that you are incorrectly following the owners manual of every shredder you have owned or used in an office.

Known fact that shredders require periodic oiling & sharpening to run at top performance. Oil sold specificially for this purpose. Sandpaper or foil run thru shredder to sharpen. And known fact that paper dulls blades terribly. Any paper crafter can tell you that that is why they have one pair of scissors for paper & another really sharp pair for ribbon & material. Also, shredders have built in safety feature to shut off & cool down when they are used too long & get too warm. At least everyone I ever have used has. And a little red light. Just like the safety feature on hair dryers. Explained in manual.

I know not everyone reads manuals, but that has been my experience with the 3 shredders I have owned at home, and the umpteen shredders my office has gone thru in years before going with a shredding service.

I have the owners manual for my shredder and it doesn't say I need to oil it, sharpen the blades or do any other maintenance on it. As for office documents, not my job but the companies I've worked for have hired professionals who have trucks with shredders on them to come in and shred the paperwork that needs to be destroyed. Mine does overheat because it isn't a big unit but it isn't a big deal to let it cool down, it doesn't take very long. I use the shredded paper for fire starting, it burns fast and hot and then it's gone

Quote:
so to answer my original question, NO, none of you have used the bags. thank you for your replies.
No, I've never used the bags, and probably wouldn't, doesn't seem like something I'd want to use.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
HeatherH
Earning My Ears
Okay, okay, I cry uncle, I AM quirky too!
I got the last tag of the night!

Quote:
I hate shredding office documents. Just learned about this method of putting them in washing machine in these reusable bags. I am seriously thinking of buying them. Has anyone here used them? Results?

Wondered if you found them at a store besides their website? Like maybe Bed Bath & Beyond? http://www.papermasher.com/
OP, I think this brilliant! I have tons of shredding that just doesn't get done in a timely basis, this would take care of big chunks of it easily. I love it and hope it shows in stores too, I would totally buy it. Love that the reporter tested it too. Thanks for the info!
HeatherH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

When my husband was deployed last year to Afghanistan, they would shred the paper, but then used the shredded paper to turn into fuel donuts for the locals.

In soldiers spare time, the volunteered to make these. They put the shredded paper in barrels. Added water. Mashed it to pulp. Put the pulp into a tube. Pressed the water out. And put the fuel donut (about the size of a roll of tp) out to dry for days. Locals used them for heat & cooking. Soldiers gave them out while talking to locals & seeking info. Gave out care packages for children too.

Here is the process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsT2XqQaG8w

Perhaps its what it reminded me of & why I was interested.

If pulping sensitive documents is good enough for the military in a war zone, it's probably good enough for our house.

Some uses for the mashed up paper. http://papermasher.wordpress.com/201...ed-whats-next/

Last edited by beaucoup; 01-12-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:

What does it do to your washer? Any damage expected by the paper fibers that escape? If the bag explodes, what happens to your $$$$ washing machine?

I know it really messes up my machine when even one little slip of paper gets washed in a pocket. And then the time a tissue packet was in there...
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

Quote:

Might not have been looking for maintenance advice but there is something wrong. We usually have a shredder for 5 years or more and shred way more then 10 pages a day. The only maintenance we have done is empty it. It has never shut off, needed oiled, nor had to be sharpened. Those trash bags seems like a huge waste of time and money. Just pulled out the old manual we have for ours and there is nothing in there about oiling or sharpening it.
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sounds like a great idea! I'm off to look t the website. Thanks OP
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!

I have done something similar to this when I needed to get rid of documents and a shredder was not available.

Simply filled a sink with hot water. Tore papers into smaller pieces and submersed in water. Moved them around to cover. Let sit til water cooled. Drained water. Smooshed papers together in small amounts. Let dry if posssible. Threw in trash or recycling bin.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: