Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #1231
MsJiminyCricket
Motley Cruise Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
VAT will be charged on the cruises that stay within the EU (the seven night, for example) If your cruise goes to Turkey, you are good. When actually shopping in port in EU countries, the price you see is (generally) inclusive of VAT so that is what you pay at the register. It is a bit of culture shock for Europeans to pick up something in the USA and find out that tax is added at the register. HTH Oh, forgot to add.... I was on the last cruise of the season and there was no Med towel for sale... I don't know if there were any beforehand though
Thanks!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #1232
thymed
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
For those of you who've already sailed/been to the Med, when you tap an ATM does it show your available balance like it does here in the US? Listed in Euros or US$?

Also what was your daily limit to tap an ATM? I know this would vary & I need to contact my bank but just curious.

Do you feel it was difficult to get enough cash because of the limits? We have prepaid everything except for tips for drivers of Rome in Limo, entrance to Accademia in Florence, entrance to Pompeii and the fee + tips to our Vatican & Pompeii guides from RiL. We won't need to be buying train tix, etc so hopefully not huge sums of cash needed but just curious.
I'd prefer to use a cc for most purchases. Were there a lot of places that accept cash only?
How did you prepay for your RIL tours? It is my understanding they only want cash and you pay after the tour! I would love to pay up front and not worry about carrying the cash. Thanks!
thymed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #1233
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymed View Post
How did you prepay for your RIL tours? It is my understanding they only want cash and you pay after the tour! I would love to pay up front and not worry about carrying the cash. Thanks!
I think I remember getting an email after I booked RiL saying I could pre-pay via CC or bank transfer. I'll look and see if I still have it.

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; November 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; January 2016 - Disney Magic
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #1234
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana~n~Joseph View Post
I think I remember getting an email after I booked RiL saying I could pre-pay via CC or bank transfer. I'll look and see if I still have it.
This. Our email stated we had to wire the cash to a bank in Miami. We had all 3 Italian tours booked through RIL so it was a lot of money. We were really nervous and I felt like I was being scammed. Another Diser said they had done it with no issues so I felt It would be ok in the end which it was.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #1235
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
This was me last year, and we had 4 legs of our trip so mommy (me) had to pack and repack for each portion. It was a PITA.

I would not bring formal clothes, and I packed (for me and the girls) cotton sundresses so that the wrinkles came out easily and they'd pack real small.

For the kids clothes, I packed outfits together so that I could grab and stack to let DH know what the kids should wear so that he could help in the morning (otherwise they'd be pretty mismatched).

During the trip, we designated one specific suitcase for dirty laundry.

We'd put all the dirty laundry in a trash bag, and DH was responsible for repacking the dirty laundry and I'd do the clean laundry (which would change as we washed clothes).

This worked for us last year, but it was still a lot of work cuz kids get dirty so easily
That's a good idea to have a designated "dirty" suitcase. We will be staying in apartments in Iceland and Paris that have washer and dryer, so I hope to be able to keep up with all our dirty clothes! But sounds like the dress clothes will stay at home

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #1236
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

We are hopefully going to Palo on formal night to skip the dressing up - but I think it's great if people want to dress up, I think you should!

I'm hoping DH can get into Palo with the clothes we have - he has pants and long sleeve button up shirt - and some shoes that I am hoping will pass... but if not, we will just eat on deck!

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #1237
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

We like to dress up and get pictures. I packed lightweight dresses for me and DD. Rented tuxes for DH and DS. That way they also had dress shoes for the week without having to pack their huge shoes. Just had to bring black socks for them and we were set.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #1238
thymed
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
This. Our email stated we had to wire the cash to a bank in Miami. We had all 3 Italian tours booked through RIL so it was a lot of money. We were really nervous and I felt like I was being scammed. Another Diser said they had done it with no issues so I felt It would be ok in the end which it was.
Thanks for your reply. I would love to do this to avoid having the responsibility of carrying that much cash or getting it from ATMs along the way! I see that RIL is based out of Miami so I might call and see if we can pay upfront.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #1239
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I would love to do this to avoid having the responsibility of carrying that much cash or getting it from ATMs along the way! I see that RIL is based out of Miami so I might call and see if we can pay upfront.
It made it so much easier to not have to tap ATMs for so much cash. I brought envelopes for tips for each port. So since we had 2 nights in Barcelona I had some time to calculate tips and stuff envelopes accordingly with euros. I put them all in the ships safe then each morning in port just grab the envelope and go.
IIRC RIL gaves us 5% off to pay in full up front. I would have rather paid by cc but still better than having to pay at the end of each tour. I dont like to carry a lot of cash.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #1240
thymed
Mouseketeer

Please don't flame me, I have been reading these threads until my eyes are crossed and I do not remember seeing much about excursions in Catania (Sicily) or Corfu. Can any other cruisers please give me some advice???

We are traveling on the 12 Night June 14th cruise out of Barcelona ending June 26th in Venice. There will be 3 adults and 3 kids 915,15 & 17).
We have decided to do

Villefranche: on our own,
La Spezia: doing Cinque Terre on our own (Ferry & Train) (was going to be Rome in Limo Lucca & Tuscan Riviera but decided we might like CT better)
Civitavecchia: all day Rome in Limo
Naples (renting a private boat for the day) (exclusivecruises.it) (had Rome in Limo but think a private boat would be much more fun than a land excursion)
Catania: ????? Is there enough to see here to hire Rome in Limo?
Corfu: have the Dassia Beach Package booked with DCL but are thinking it might be best to DIY (I hate being herded and waiting for long lines of people)
Dubrovnik: Scenic Cruise & Beach Time with DCL but have read in Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports it is a 25 min walk to the same beach
Venice: On our own

It seems that most of the Disney excursions are filled with "hurry up an wait scenerios" I also hate that we only get an hour or so in some spots where we may want to linger. Don't get me wrong I love Disney but am not wild about their excursions. Since there are 6 of us we can hire drivers and go at our own pace for close to what a DCL excursion would cost. The only real splurge is hiring a private boat for the day at Naples but it sounds so appealing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:21 AM   #1241
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Please don't flame me, I have been reading these threads until my eyes are crossed and I do not remember seeing much about excursions in Catania (Sicily) or Corfu. Can any other cruisers please give me some advice???

We are traveling on the 12 Night June 14th cruise out of Barcelona ending June 26th in Venice. There will be 3 adults and 3 kids 915,15 & 17).
We have decided to do

Villefranche: on our own,
La Spezia: doing Cinque Terre on our own (Ferry & Train) (was going to be Rome in Limo Lucca & Tuscan Riviera but decided we might like CT better)
Civitavecchia: all day Rome in Limo
Naples (renting a private boat for the day) (exclusivecruises.it) (had Rome in Limo but think a private boat would be much more fun than a land excursion)
Catania: ????? Is there enough to see here to hire Rome in Limo?
Corfu: have the Dassia Beach Package booked with DCL but are thinking it might be best to DIY (I hate being herded and waiting for long lines of people)
Dubrovnik: Scenic Cruise & Beach Time with DCL but have read in Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports it is a 25 min walk to the same beach
Venice: On our own

It seems that most of the Disney excursions are filled with "hurry up an wait scenerios" I also hate that we only get an hour or so in some spots where we may want to linger. Don't get me wrong I love Disney but am not wild about their excursions. Since there are 6 of us we can hire drivers and go at our own pace for close to what a DCL excursion would cost. The only real splurge is hiring a private boat for the day at Naples but it sounds so appealing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I'm on that same cruise. For Catania, you may find RomeInLimo is fully booked. That's what I was told by them a few months ago. You can certainly check again and see if they had something open up, though.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #1242
RAD
DIS Veteran

Saturday is when we can book our shore excursions. We've decided to just stay with DCL run excursions, lets just say our luck this year with travel delays in the past haven't been that great so we're playing it safe. With that said here's what we're planning:

- Villefranche: Eze, Nice and French Wines
- La Spezia: Florence and Michelangelo
- Civitavecchia: The Best of Rome
- Naples: Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri
- Barcelona: Montserrat: Half Day, End at Hotel

Looks like there's a couple long days in there that will mean we'll miss main dining those days, we have early dining.

Has anyone done the Montserrat excursion on the last day? If yes how does that work, does DCL collect your baggage and deliver it to the hotel for you or do you need to get it through customs and then they just bring it along on the tour bus?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #1243
ldo
DIS Veteran

for Corfu (when we were on Princess), we did Dassia Beach DIY--very easy, very safe, very fun, low key day. You take the shuttle to the town--ours had a city bus special for the cruise 1 euro--guessing DCL will have the same or a designated shuttle. Once in town walk UP--all the roads slant to the bottom--so walk straight upwards for about 5 minutes thru the old part of town until you get to a square with buses. We walked to the right (facing the old town) went around the fort, got lost and finally found the town center where the Dassia (and other buses) were about 30 minutes later. It's very safe, IMHO--and we had a nice walk--LOL!
We got on the bus marked Dassia, but had no idea where to get off--but then we saw the Chandris Hotel. That was where Princess beach excursion went (and where DCL goes)--so we hopped off, walked thru the lobby, down the stairs and out past the pool to the beach. Since we had our Princess towels, we fit right in. We just popped a towel on the beach, but there were some unclaimed chairs, as well. If you bring your DCL towels and you will fit in just fine. There are cute little outdoors changing rooms by the beach and a bathroom ground level by the stairs up to the lobby, as I recall. Obviously, we did not swim in the pool, as we were not guests of the hotel. The snorkeling was not good, but swimming was fine--it's more of a large bay, no relatively flat and not much current, perfect for kids.
I absolutely LOVED the low key elegance of this resort. There are water sports for rental and an over the water bar/snack place that are not part of the hotel. Once done, we walked back outside and grabbed a bus.
All totaled, our day costs 1.4 euros each way to the beach, plus 1 euro to/from ship. We would have had lunch at the hotel or by the pool, or drinks at the bar, but we were nervous about getting back in time--not to worry, as buses come every 15 minutes. We then walked back thru the old town, shopped for an hr and got the bus back to port with at least 2 hrs to spare.
Another family on our cruise did the same thing--but they took a cab for their family of 4---100 euros RT!
For Venice, we love Doges Palace. If there is a line, buy your tickets over at the museum across San Marco's Square--it also has free bathrooms and A/C!

Last edited by ldo; 05-15-2014 at 02:28 PM.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #1244
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Rhodes Beach

We are a DIY kind of cruise family I'm making Rhodes our beach day. I have looked and found Elli Beach. It gets pretty good reviews and will only be about a 20 minute walk from the ship. Looks like there is also a market on the way. My question is has anyone been to Rhodes in the past and if so, does this sound reasonable?? Any other advice for that stop? I'm not going to do Lindos.

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #1245
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor mantιnganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidibecky View Post
We are a DIY kind of cruise family I'm making Rhodes our beach day. I have looked and found Elli Beach. It gets pretty good reviews and will only be about a 20 minute walk from the ship. Looks like there is also a market on the way. My question is has anyone been to Rhodes in the past and if so, does this sound reasonable?? Any other advice for that stop? I'm not going to do Lindos.
Elli beach is not a nice beach and not in a good location, it's stoned and it's packed full in summer and can be windy, it's on the start of the approach to Rhodes international airport with planes coming in to land regularly and low.

Not a good choose.

Now Rhodes has been nearly my second home.

You say no to Lindos the best village and beach in Rhodes maybe the best village in agreed.

Alternatives are Falaraki. That's about 15 mins by taxi and a regular bus service, it's on the calmer East side and a mainly sandy beach the beach is long and wide, lots of waters ports, only downside it's popular with the young there not up to midday and the bars are not rowdy until the ship is long gone.

Afandou is also nice. A bit further, Tsamika a bit further.

General rule West coast windy stones and flight path, East side nice beaches sand and calmer seas. Most beaches shelve slower into the sea.

Do think of Lindos it's a gem.

Main Rhodes market is in the old historic walled Rhodes town opposite the cruise port, you cannot miss it, it doesn't get going to about 10am. Elli is at the top through the new Rhodes town and hotels and commercial shops.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.

Last edited by DISNEY FANTASY; 05-15-2014 at 02:46 PM.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: