Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #1216
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Hi I'm doing the Transatlantic this September and was wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to get on the Metro with our luggage?

I was thinking of taking the Aerobus to Playa d' Espanya and then getting on the metro to our hotel (Tryp Apolo).

My mom is worried that there will be stairs and it will be a pain with all the luggage?

My other though was to take the Aerobus and then catch a cab to our hotel (not sure if that would save us much $ over just taking a cab from the airport).
To be honest, we did the metro alot and there are stairs. I don't think it'd be easy with luggage.

We used Suntransfers and it was really cheap, I think 35 Euro for a minivan so it must be cheaper for just an auto. Their website will give you a quote.

Lots of people recommend Barcelona Day Tours but their rates are pricey unless you plan on doing their tour -- their transfers are overpriced.

I personally wouldn't do the bus, then metro. Just seems like a hassle and the pickpockets were out and about alot. They are fairly obvious. It's hard to keep an eye on everything when you're in a new place trying to figure stuff out. You don't want to start your trip off with issues.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #1217
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
To be honest, we did the metro alot and there are stairs. I don't think it'd be easy with luggage.

We used Suntransfers and it was really cheap, I think 35 Euro for a minivan so it must be cheaper for just an auto. Their website will give you a quote.

Lots of people recommend Barcelona Day Tours but their rates are pricey unless you plan on doing their tour -- their transfers are overpriced.

I personally wouldn't do the bus, then metro. Just seems like a hassle and the pickpockets were out and about alot. They are fairly obvious. It's hard to keep an eye on everything when you're in a new place trying to figure stuff out. You don't want to start your trip off with issues.
Thanks, I priced it out for our date and it's 38.14 Euros. We arrive in the evening so Barcelona Day Tours isn't a good option for us.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2014, 05:17 AM   #1218
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Thanks, I priced it out for our date and it's 38.14 Euros. We arrive in the evening so Barcelona Day Tours isn't a good option for us.
A taxi is not much more than that, I think. I would also check out getting a quote from a private transfer, like Autos Vilar. We were quite pleased with him.

debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #1219
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJiminyCricket View Post
Cool. Do you remember if they had a Med beach towel? From what I understand, the VAT doesn't matter if you spend something in anon-EU nation, right?
VAT will be charged on the cruises that stay within the EU (the seven night, for example) If your cruise goes to Turkey, you are good.

When actually shopping in port in EU countries, the price you see is (generally) inclusive of VAT so that is what you pay at the register. It is a bit of culture shock for Europeans to pick up something in the USA and find out that tax is added at the register.

HTH

Oh, forgot to add.... I was on the last cruise of the season and there was no Med towel for sale... I don't know if there were any beforehand though

Last edited by debsters41; 05-13-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: forgot the crux of the question with my useless advice ;)
Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #1220
quinnc19
DIS Veteran

Taxi at Port

I am considering using Barcelona Day Tours post cruise, in part so as to avoid the potentially long line at the taxi stands. Does anyone have experience with this? Was it so bad that you wished you considered other options? Thank you!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #1221
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Packing for formal night

We will be in Europe for over two weeks before the cruise going from planes, trains and yes, automobiles, . I am really beginning to consider not bringing formal formal night clothes.

I have to pack for five people for a month. I need to keep it to three suitcases b/c of all the moving around we are doing. The idea of having to fit suit coats, dress shoes etc. is becoming more and more unrealistic.

Has anyone on here not dressed up? We will have nice clothes, just not formal. I know I always read there is a wide range of dress for the night, but has anyone here done that? TIA!

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #1222
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidibecky View Post
We will be in Europe for over two weeks before the cruise going from planes, trains and yes, automobiles, . I am really beginning to consider not bringing formal formal night clothes.

I have to pack for five people for a month. I need to keep it to three suitcases b/c of all the moving around we are doing. The idea of having to fit suit coats, dress shoes etc. is becoming more and more unrealistic.

Has anyone on here not dressed up? We will have nice clothes, just not formal. I know I always read there is a wide range of dress for the night, but has anyone here done that? TIA!
The last two Euro cruises with Disney, we left our dress up/formal clothes at home. No way were we giving up space for them, nor did we want to tote them around on our non cruise adventure. I don't recall feeling out f place.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #1223
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
The last two Euro cruises with Disney, we left our dress up/formal clothes at home. No way were we giving up space for them, nor did we want to tote them around on our non cruise adventure. I don't recall feeling out f place.
That's good to hear! Thank you for the reply. My husband may even have to wear his hiking shoes with his dress pants

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #1224
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
No formal clothes for us either. Since the weight of the suitcase on the plane is an issue, I didn't bring formal last year and won't this year either. Lots of others don't either.

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #1225
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidibecky View Post

This was me last year, and we had 4 legs of our trip so mommy (me) had to pack and repack for each portion. It was a PITA.

I would not bring formal clothes, and I packed (for me and the girls) cotton sundresses so that the wrinkles came out easily and they'd pack real small.

For the kids clothes, I packed outfits together so that I could grab and stack to let DH know what the kids should wear so that he could help in the morning (otherwise they'd be pretty mismatched).

During the trip, we designated one specific suitcase for dirty laundry.

We'd put all the dirty laundry in a trash bag, and DH was responsible for repacking the dirty laundry and I'd do the clean laundry (which would change as we washed clothes).

This worked for us last year, but it was still a lot of work cuz kids get dirty so easily
Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #1226
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnc19 View Post
I am considering using Barcelona Day Tours post cruise, in part so as to avoid the potentially long line at the taxi stands. Does anyone have experience with this? Was it so bad that you wished you considered other options? Thank you!
We used BDT last year when we left the port for a private tour then transfer to the airport. The driver guy was super friendly and was fluent in English. He was there 10 minutes earlier than us and we left the ship REALLY early (I think we were out by 8am).

If you walk off the ship early, I don't think you'd have problems with finding a taxi. If you plan on spending time in Barcelona before the airport, BDT is a really good option.

They do "sell out" though so I'd contact them asap if you're interested. My brother used them separately last year and they had to add him and his wife on b/c they contacted them so late.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #1227
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
VAT will be charged on the cruises that stay within the EU (the seven night, for example) If your cruise goes to Turkey, you are good.

When actually shopping in port in EU countries, the price you see is (generally) inclusive of VAT so that is what you pay at the register. It is a bit of culture shock for Europeans to pick up something in the USA and find out that tax is added at the register.

HTH

Oh, forgot to add.... I was on the last cruise of the season and there was no Med towel for sale... I don't know if there were any beforehand though
Also cash is king so some shop owners will "wave" the VAT if you use Euros and say I am leaving the country......haggle your way to a good price.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #1228
mrslfc
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone

Getting really excited about the cruise now but I have a few questions!

I see that a lot of you are not taking formal wear for formal night, I was really looking forward to getting dressed up for this but don't want to feel uncomfortable if no one else really does?

How much tax is added on to the items you buy in the shops on board and also are you able to pay with cash in the shops or do you have to add it on to your account?

Thanks
mrslfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #1229
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslfc View Post
Hi everyone

I see that a lot of you are not taking formal wear for formal night, I was really looking forward to getting dressed up for this but don't want to feel uncomfortable if no one else really does?

How much tax is added on to the items you buy in the shops on board and also are you able to pay with cash in the shops or do you have to add it on to your account?

Thanks
I think the VAT in Spain is 20%.....I just got back from Italy and like stated before the VAT is included in the final item's price. You can add it to your on board account. We sailed twice on the Magic in the Med. and did it up formal night so we saw both dressed up and dressed down on that night.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #1230
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslfc View Post
Hi everyone

Thanks
I go all out while my husband just wears a jacket and tie. It's all fun. You won't be alone, but you may be one of the better dressed. I got tons (!) of compliments and I felt even more like a queen than usual. Also, the pictures come out fantastic!

If you are on one of the shorter cruises that don't hit a port outside the EU... the tax is 21% Ouch! But for me, I just figured I was paying in Euros instead of dollars, so for the price on the shelf of 10 dollars, I figured 10 Euros and that is just about what it came to... even less. For example, the Photo Disc and pictures is listed at 399.99 dollars. With VAT (even when pre-purchasing) the cost was 484 dollars. In Euros it came to 379.

With the pound being so much stronger than our currencies, you should still come out quite ahead

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: