Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #1171
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
I posted this on my cruise meets thread, and thought others might find it helpful. The flight mentioned was a domestic flight on American Airlines. We typically travel with just carry-ons, including cruises. For those thinking of packing light, here's a heads up. Check the size of your carry-on and make sure it meets your airlines' carry-on limits. Yesterday my DW had a flight on American Airlines out of LAX. At the gate, the agents were having each passenger place their carry-on in the bag sizer. If it didn't fit, or if it fit but stuck out above the rim, the passenger was denied boarding and had to return to the ticket counter to check their carry-on (and pay the baggage fee). There were some very upset passengers. Woody
If you take a duffle bag and don't fill it completely - so that it's able to squish down - will that be ok?
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 AM   #1172
jellybelly3
Earning My Ears

shore excursions - 5N Med cruise

Hi lilpooh,

Thanks for the links! Very comprehensive.

I've booked the 5N Med cruise departing Barcelona on 11 Aug 2014. I'm not sure if shore excursions are doable with my 5 year old, i'd love to go for the full day ones to see rome/florence but looks like i may only go for short cinque terre tour off the la spezia port. Tempted to just lug the stroller along just to let her sit in when she gets tired but i've read that the light travel friendly strollers do not do so well on cobblestone streets.

We're planning to take it easy and just walk around the little towns where we're docked. Any families here have taken the free and easy route to explore the ports on their own at villefranche, la spezia and civitavecchia?

Thanks,
mel
jellybelly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #1173
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybelly3 View Post
Hi lilpooh,

I've booked the 5N Med cruise departing Barcelona on 11 Aug 2014. I'm not sure if shore excursions are doable with my 5 year old, i'd love to go for the full day ones to see rome/florence but looks like i may only go for short cinque terre tour off the la spezia port. Tempted to just lug the stroller along just to let her sit in when she gets tired but i've read that the light travel friendly strollers do not do so well on cobblestone streets.

We're planning to take it easy and just walk around the little towns where we're docked. Any families here have taken the free and easy route to explore the ports on their own at villefranche, la spezia and civitavecchia?

Thanks,
mel
my recap posted on the first page of this page shows how we did some things cheap and easy

debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #1174
MsJiminyCricket
Motley Cruise Vet

Can anyone tell me if there is a lot to do around the port of Epheseus? If we don't do an excursion there, will we still be able to get a taste of the culture and foods?

thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #1175
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJiminyCricket View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a lot to do around the port of Epheseus? If we don't do an excursion there, will we still be able to get a taste of the culture and foods?

thanks!
We did an excursion but at the end of the excursion, they let us off near the port and there was a bazaar (ugh...the people were desparately trying to get us to go into their shops), and some cafes (including .. Starbucks. LOL).

Hopefully somebody who actually explored the area can answer you better. I'd just stay clear of some of those shops.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #1176
MsJiminyCricket
Motley Cruise Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
We did an excursion but at the end of the excursion, they let us off near the port and there was a bazaar (ugh...the people were desparately trying to get us to go into their shops), and some cafes (including .. Starbucks. LOL).

Hopefully somebody who actually explored the area can answer you better. I'd just stay clear of some of those shops.
Thanks. I was reading about some of the shops in Rick Steves' book and thought it actually looked like a fun way to get some inexpensive souvenirs. Thanks for your information.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #1177
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. I was reading about some of the shops in Rick Steves' book and thought it actually looked like a fun way to get some inexpensive souvenirs. Thanks for your information.
Last year my wife and I dropped the kids back at the ship after Ephasus and went shopping at the bazaar in Kudasai. The shop owners were aggressive by our standards but I never felt threatened. I let my hair grow to shoulder length for the first time in my life last summer. When we got to the top of the bazaar a barber started shouting at me that I needed a haircut right there and then. I said no and he started chasing me down the street with his scissors and shaving knife. My wife couldn't stop laughing. Really one of my favorite vacation memories ever. But we did pick up some cheap souveniers and a beautiful scarf for my daughter.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #1178
LyndaC
Mouseketeer

I have another suggestion for a Rome Excursion. Last year, my husband and I did the Rome by Segway excursion http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...ome-by-segway/ We'd been to Rome previously and this was perfect for us. Train to and from the ship, a couple of hours hitting the highlights of Rome by Segway, the rest of the day on our own. We walked back to the Vatican and then back to the ship by train.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #1179
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

We've been to Kusadasi twice. Near the port, there are plenty of shops, restaurants and cafes. You could easily spend hours visiting the bazaar, trinket and carpet shops, and trying the local cuisine.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #1180
MsJiminyCricket
Motley Cruise Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
We've been to Kusadasi twice. Near the port, there are plenty of shops, restaurants and cafes. You could easily spend hours visiting the bazaar, trinket and carpet shops, and trying the local cuisine. Woody
Awesome. That's the affirmation I was hoping for. But Il also let my kids know they need haircuts before the cruise...😏
Old 03-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #1181
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
Last year my wife and I dropped the kids back at the ship after Ephasus and went shopping at the bazaar in Kudasai. The shop owners were aggressive by our standards but I never felt threatened. I let my hair grow to shoulder length for the first time in my life last summer. When we got to the top of the bazaar a barber started shouting at me that I needed a haircut right there and then. I said no and he started chasing me down the street with his scissors and shaving knife. My wife couldn't stop laughing. Really one of my favorite vacation memories ever. But we did pick up some cheap souveniers and a beautiful scarf for my daughter.
hahahahahahahahahahaha... oh, I wish I could have seen that. LOL
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #1182
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

A tip to get the best price in Turkey.

Haggle on price.

Whatever they offer first, seem disinterested and halve the price they say,

Stick to that price and see what they do,

If they do not reduce by a lot, then start to walk off.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #1183
RAD
DIS Veteran

Just wondering, what TV channels will be available on board?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #1184
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybelly3 View Post
Hi lilpooh,

Thanks,
mel
Hi there!

Wow, I haven't checked back into this thread for a while now

For La Spezia we actually did an "easy" DCL excursion to Portofino & Santa Margherita that was very kid friendly. The town of Portofino had a lot of cobblestones so the stroller was a hassle, but you can easily leave it at the bottom of the hill and I really doubt anyone would take it. The town had probably a few hundred people in it. Santa Margherita was a larger town, and pushing the stroller was easy. My daughters were 4 and 1 at the time and we only brought 1 umbrella stroller between them on this excursion. They rotated when tired and it wasn't a problem. More details in my TR.

For Rome we hired a private van transfer for pick up from the port and the Forum had elevators. It wasn't easy to push the stroller b/c of the cobblestones, but not exactly hard either. Stroller was easy to push inside the Colosseum. No strollers allowed in the Vatican. We hired a private guide, and she took care of taking the stroller outside and picking it up for us after the tour was over.

We skipped Florence since it was such a long van ride to Florence from La Spezia. That was our "easy" day to give the kids a break.

We also brought a cheap $15 Target umbrella stroller that we threw away on our last night in Europe before flying home. This really helped us out since (1) we didn't care much if we ended up losing it/trashing it while touring and (2) decreased our baggage/hassle load when flying home.

Good luck!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #1185
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
When we got to the top of the bazaar a barber started shouting at me that I needed a haircut right there and then. I said no and he started chasing me down the street with his scissors and shaving knife. My wife couldn't stop laughing. Really one of my favorite vacation memories ever. But we did pick up some cheap souveniers and a beautiful scarf for my daughter.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: