Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #991
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
We already had phones that were unlocked triband.

I didn't bring any "regular" phones with our home SIMs, but I bet those are fine.

I had problems once or twice calling out in past Europe trips on AT&T but that was probably a fluke.

We did pre & post cruise stays this time, so we felt that the Europe Sims were necessary since we actually ran out of minutes on 2 of our phones (we had 4 total for 9 family members). We split up at 2 ports as well.
Thanks!
We will have 2 days in Barcelona pre cruise. Our tour there & all of our port excursions will be together so we have no intentions of separating but you never know. Stuff happens. We haven't been to Europe since our honeymoon in Ireland 18 yrs ago. Back then & on our Perillo tour of Italy 5 yrs prior we had NO cell phones at all and didn't worry a bit.
Now I go into panic mode if we're not able to call each other.
I'm sure it will all be fine.
Tomorrow is my big packing day and my mind is racing with all these "what ifs."
Old 08-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #992
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Not sure if you are breaking up but staying close. If so walkie talkies may work.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #993
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
Not sure if you are breaking up but staying close. If so walkie talkies may work.
That's something to consider. We used to use them in WDW a million yrs ago.

When ds13 was 4 we lost him for around 20 secs near the port shopping area in Cozumel, Mexico. The stress to my heart probably took 5 yrs off my life.
Yes, he's older now but still. He could easily turn the wrong way out of a restroom or something.
I'll visit AT&T tomorrow & see what they say.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #994
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Tomorrow is my big packing day and my mind is racing with all these "what ifs."
Good luck!

Can you believe we've all been planning this for like a year?

I went into withdrawal when it was over, which is why I still hang out on this thread.

We officially moved our EBTA to a Magic cruise this year, and I'm trying really hard to make the WBTA happen.

Have fun on your cruise!!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #995
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good luck!

Can you believe we've all been planning this for like a year?

I went into withdrawal when it was over, which is why I still hang out on this thread.

We officially moved our EBTA to a Magic cruise this year, and I'm trying really hard to make the WBTA happen.

Have fun on your cruise!!
Thanks!
The best cure for post-cruise blues is to start planning the next one!

We actually didn't book until after Christmas. We were booked for an Easter week 2014 cruise on the Fantasy & changed it. At 11:50pm on New Year's Eve I was buying airfare.

This is rare for us as we usually book as soon as dates get released, like 2 yrs prior for best pricing. At this point, I don't even want to know how much I would have saved if I booked way back.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #996
tinkertaylor05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did that price include a minivan? Thanks.
Yes - had to purchase own entrance tickets that seems standard though

WDW SSR/DCL EBTA May 2014, DCL Magic Med June 2013, Hotel New York September 2012, Disneyland Hotel December 2011, Hotel New York February 2011, Hotel New York June 2010
tinkertaylor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #997
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Another question...
Did anyone have international roaming added to their cell phone prior to leaving? I'm wondering if it's worth it.
We don't need to stay connected to our jobs. I guess if there's some emergency back home we would need to be reached somehow but really have no intentions of using our cell phones.
I guess perhaps if God forbid, one of our kids gets lost, someone ends up in the hospital, or we miss the all aboard time, we'd use our phones. Really at that point I wouldn't care about my next month's cell phone bill total.

Maybe if we have to call RIL or Barcelona Day Tours if our drivers are a no show. I don't know.

This is AT&T's international talk plan:
AT&T Europe Travel Minutes*

Monthly Charge: $30
Included Minutes: 30 ($1.00/min.)
Per-Minute Overage: $1.00

or

$60
80 ($.75/min.)
$1.00

or

$120
200 ($.60/min.)
$1.00

*One-month minimum required. If you remove the package before your monthly bill cycle ends, the included monthly minute allotment will be reduced proportionately. Package and overage rates apply to calls made and received within applicable region only. Usage outside of the region will be charged at applicable pay-per-use rate.

Pay-Per-Use Calling Rate in Europe Region**: $1.50/min.

** For making and receiving calls in the "Europe Region".

Or maybe we should go to AT&T and get good instructions on how to call Europe & the USA from Europe, print on little cards for each of us including kids. (They're 13 & 16.)

What did you do?

For those still planning, I just came from AT&T. The above package rates are per phone & we have 5 phones. We would have to spend 20 mins talking to make the cheapest plan break even. That's even if we just got it on 1 phone. I think we'll take our chances and use pay per use rate of $1.50/minute. A few quick calls or texts here & there won't cost a lot and if there's something catastrophic, the least of my worries will be a $200 cell phone bill.
I found this helpful for general dialing instructions.

http://www.howtocallabroad.com/forum...l-ph-in-france
Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #998
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

OK, you're probably all sick of me but one more question.
Does the Magic still have the old hairdryers attached to the bathroom wall?
Is it the Dream/Fantasy cabins that have a separate hairdryer that you can sit down by the desk mirror?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #999
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, you're probably all sick of me but one more question.
Does the Magic still have the old hairdryers attached to the bathroom wall?
Is it the Dream/Fantasy cabins that have a separate hairdryer that you can sit down by the desk mirror?
They still have those yucky vacuum cleaner looking hair dryers stuck to the wall.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #1000
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

There is a free app called What's App so DH and I could stay in touch via text when on shore. In case one was shopping or stopped somewhere else. And for the one day we went on different tours.

We used that along with the ATT data plans and added minutes on one phone in case we needed to call tour guides, drivers, etc. The data plan was nice to have to email..
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #1001
Cjjoncas
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Another question...
Did anyone have international roaming added to their cell phone prior to leaving? I'm wondering if it's worth it.
We don't need to stay connected to our jobs. I guess if there's some emergency back home we would need to be reached somehow but really have no intentions of using our cell phones.
I guess perhaps if God forbid, one of our kids gets lost, someone ends up in the hospital, or we miss the all aboard time, we'd use our phones. Really at that point I wouldn't care about my next month's cell phone bill total.

Maybe if we have to call RIL or Barcelona Day Tours if our drivers are a no show. I don't know.

This is AT&T's international talk plan:
AT&T Europe Travel Minutes*

Monthly Charge: $30
Included Minutes: 30 ($1.00/min.)
Per-Minute Overage: $1.00

or

$60
80 ($.75/min.)
$1.00

or

$120
200 ($.60/min.)
$1.00

*One-month minimum required. If you remove the package before your monthly bill cycle ends, the included monthly minute allotment will be reduced proportionately. Package and overage rates apply to calls made and received within applicable region only. Usage outside of the region will be charged at applicable pay-per-use rate.

Pay-Per-Use Calling Rate in Europe Region**: $1.50/min.

** For making and receiving calls in the "Europe Region".

Or maybe we should go to AT&T and get good instructions on how to call Europe & the USA from Europe, print on little cards for each of us including kids. (They're 13 & 16.)

What did you do?
On a recent trip to Portugal, we went to a local cell phone store and got a cell phone and 2 hours worth of talk time for 20 euros. The whole process was quick and painless. It was great to have a phone to use and gave us peace of mind since we had a rental car and doing long day trips. Not sure if there are the same offers in Barcelona but something to think about.
Cjjoncas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #1002
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjjoncas View Post
On a recent trip to Portugal, we went to a local cell phone store and got a cell phone and 2 hours worth of talk time for 20 euros. The whole process was quick and painless. It was great to have a phone to use and gave us peace of mind since we had a rental car and doing long day trips. Not sure if there are the same offers in Barcelona but something to think about.
Thanks! I think we'll be ok with our regular phones. I made each of us a little card of how to call/text home, locally & each other in case someone gets separated or some emergency. For $1.50 per minute (pay per use), it's really not that expensive.

We fly to Barcelona tomorrow! I'm so excited I can't take it!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #1003
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Hey y'all!

I don't know who might still be subscribed to this thread, but I have gone through a lot of the info jam-packed in this thread and highlighted it with links on the 1st page.

I've copied & pasted it below for those too lazy (like me ) to click on the 1st page.

For any 2013 Med cruisers who have other info/recommendations, please let me know and I will add it to the 1st page.

I did not do the 12 night, so I'm missing many of the research/details for those ports. Let me know if you have anything/recs to add.

I think it's great that we have a resources here. I know many are planning to go back next year on the EBTA or WBTAs and so a lot of this info will come in handy again soon.

****************Let me know if you have anything/TRs to add, here is the 1st page*****************

The 2013 Med cruises are almost over Since there is so much amazing information in this thread and in the TRs, I compiled links to the info below. Feel free to let me know if I'm missing anything. This first page is a work in progress.

Barcelona Pre-cruise Hotel Thread/Recommendations

Recommended/Referenced Barcelona Transfer Companies
Barcelona Day Tours
Spanish Trails
Barcelona Airport Transfers

Sagrada Familia tickets

Helpful Discussion on Med Ports for Mobility Challenged Folks

Interesting Discussion re ABD v Other Med Excursions

Villefranche
***Please PM me if you have recommendations or more info***

La Spezia (Florence/Pisa)
Art Viva (link to Rick Steve's discount page)
Florence Cooking Classes

Website to Purchase Pisa Tower tickets

Informational Website on Cinque Terre
Website for Ferry Company w/Service to Cinque Terre
Status of Cinque Terre Trails

Civitavecchia (Rome)
Recommended touring/transfer/guide companies
Rome in Limo
Rudy's Touring Service
Walks of Italy
Angel Tours
Through Eternity

Website to Purchase Colosseum tickets (and tickets to Underground Tour)
Website to Purchase Vatican tickets

Rome Gladiator School for Kids
Blog Description of Gladiator School

Rome ToolKit's detailed summary of the cruise port

Heatherbelle's Explanation for Rome On Your Own (with itinerary)

Tom's Port Guide Rome

Naples
Tom's Port Guide Naples/Sorrento

Venice
Tom's Port Guide to Venice (PDF)

Palazzo Ducale's Link to Secret Itineraries Tour

Doge's Palace website link to different tickets & museum passes

Walks of Italy's Secret Itineraries Tour

Mykonos, Greece
Tom's Port Guide to Mykonos

Thndrmatt's summary of DIY at all ports
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=756

7-Night Med Trip Reports

Realbetis' TR

Disney Helen's TR

Disney Mam's TR

Lilpooh108's TR

Lilpooh108's Bathroom roundup for 7 night Med

Abayaflowers' TR (mostly DIY)

12-Night Med Trip Reports
MelCatfish's TR

Scraptographer's TR

disprincess4ever's TR

MinnieDiva's TR

Deb in IA's TR
Old 08-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #1004
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Fantastic piece of work you've done here. Thank you!!

Having just returned from a B2B Med, I'd really like to add a couple of companies if I may.
For transfers from Barcelona, we, and many Brits use Suntransfers (www.suntransfers.com). First time I've not used DCL but I was really impressed with the prices and the fact that they turned up within 1 minute of my collection time. It was 55 euros for a 7 sweater mini van from Port to Airport or 35 euros for a 4 person car. We had the minivan for 4 though as we each had a large case plus carry ons.

I'd also like to recommend Your Tour In Italy (www.yourtourinitaly.com) too please. 3 years ago we were in WDW speaking to some DVC staff who had recently been on a Med cruise. They recommended this company, so for our 2011 Med cruise, we booked with Your Tour In Italy. We had 42 people join us in the end (lots of friends and family on cruise!) and they were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and the drivers local knowledge was amazing. They took us to the Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museum, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum and Spanish Steps .. All in one day, but as we were in mini vans and could get directly to the buildings (unlike DCLs buses), we had no walking to do and it didn't feel rushed.

This year, we used them for our Naples stop. We only wanted a taster of a couple of places as we are booked for another Med cruise next year. We also didn't want to be off the ship all day, so we did Sorrento then down to Herculaneum. As it was a big public holiday with traffic congestion on the main roads, our driver who lived in Sorrento, took us via some more 'local' roads to save time. We were off the ship for 6 hours in total and we now plan to do Sorrento and Capri next year. We had 1 1/2 hours in Sorrento and the same in Herc, left the ship at 8am and was back on board eating at 2pm! They did recommend a longer tour, but we personally only wanted a shorter one which they tailored for us.

They do all 3 stops in Italy (Pisa, Rome and Naples) and have local drivers for each area, not just drivers they 'ship' in.

I cannot recommend this company enough and I'm so glad that the DVC Cast Members told us about them.

Would appreciate if you could add my two recommendations please.
Thanks
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015

Last edited by bats; 08-18-2013 at 03:12 AM.
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #1005
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Hi Bats!

Welcome back! How exciting -- I didn't know you were doing a B2B! Sounds amazing... hope you do a trip report!

I added the 2 companies you recommended. I can't believe I forgot about Suntransfers. We used them also and their prices were amazing.

Too bad I hadn't heard about Your tour in Italy prior to our trip. One of our excursions didn't go that well. We will try them out next time for Naples/Sorrento.

Anyways....feel free to add more tips and I'll compile them for the 1st page.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: