Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #886
debsters41
DIS Veteran

VGT rates on the August 31st sailing.... I was hoping for an upgrade but it looks like it won't happen...
Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #887
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
VGT rates on the August 31st sailing.... I was hoping for an upgrade but it looks like it won't happen...
Wow that VGT is a pretty good price.

Our server told us on the June 1 sailing that he and other CMs had moved into Deck 2 cabins which were empty so that they could start refurb work on crew cabins. Our sailing was not full (I'd been checking to see if I could buy a port upgrade), but there was a sign saying that the sailing was "full."

I doubt they will give upgrades for the 8/31 sailing....they will probably just start doing work on the cabins which are empty prior to the dry dock.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #888
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
If I'm not mistaken Croatia entered the EU on July 1st so I'm pretty sure you can now use Euros there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
It could take years. link
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcarr View Post
they did eagerly take euros--they tell you the exchange rate in euros (7kn per euro) and dollars (5kn per $).
There are some places that will only accept Kuna (for example, to go up on the city walls, it's 90 Kuna for adults, 30 Kuna for youth, no Euro accepted). If you use your CC in stores, they convert Kuna to US Dollars.

The ship exchanged for Kuna onboard and would take Kuna bills back if you exchanged with them. They had increments of 50 Kuna when we exchanged on the inaugral. We had some left over and just gave it to our guide as part of his tip. We paid him in Euro per his agreement but then just added to the tip we were already giving him by giving him our leftover Kuna bills.

We heard a lot in Italy about how switching over to the Euro killed their economy and they are still recovering from that. Our guide was telling us how Croatia has hopefully learned from Italy's experience and will be more cautious in the switch to Euro for currency and that it will be a long while (as Woody has indicated). Everything we read before going was that Euro was accepted as a courtesy and nod to the importance of tourism to Dubrovnik - our guide said that 70% of the employment in Dubrovnik is directly related to tourism.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #889
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

They only take Kuna or credit cards for the cable cars also. Everywhere else euros were taken. They tended to ask for Kuna first but took euros with no problem. And for all you gelato fans out there, you get the most "bang for your euro" in Dubrovnik. And it was really good.

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #890
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivecaligirl View Post
They only take Kuna or credit cards for the cable cars also. Everywhere else euros were taken. They tended to ask for Kuna first but took euros with no problem. And for all you gelato fans out there, you get the most "bang for your euro" in Dubrovnik. And it was really good.
What is the going rate (kuna or euro)? Trying to decide how much kuna to bring

Celestine

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #891
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

I'm booked for next summer, but just curious where you see the OGT VGT rates? I thought they popped up when you just searched for a cruise, but I don't see them.

Thanks!
Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #892
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

Our server told us on the June 1 sailing that he and other CMs had moved into Deck 2 cabins which were empty so that they could start refurb work on crew cabins. Our sailing was not full (I'd been checking to see if I could buy a port upgrade), but there was a sign saying that the sailing was "full."

I doubt they will give upgrades for the 8/31 sailing....they will probably just start doing work on the cabins which are empty prior to the dry dock.
Didn't you notice there were a lot of Disney CMs traveling with us? I met several at the adult pool. Disney gave them some GREAT deals to fill that boat up and if they could find a cheap way to Europe (or were based in Europe) it was popular!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #893
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

We were in Dubrovnik last month. Croatia's official currency was and is the kuna. We visited the City Walls, and took the cable car to Mount Srd. They only accepted kunas or a credit card. At the post office, we bought postage stamps with kunas.

While some street vendors and merchants accept euros, I find that they round up, charging more for the convenience.

Woody
woody73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #894
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
There are some places that will only accept Kuna (for example, to go up on the city walls, it's 90 Kuna for adults, 30 Kuna for youth, no Euro accepted). If you use your CC in stores, they convert Kuna to US Dollars.

The ship exchanged for Kuna onboard and would take Kuna bills back if you exchanged with them. They had increments of 50 Kuna when we exchanged on the inaugral. We had some left over and just gave it to our guide as part of his tip. We paid him in Euro per his agreement but then just added to the tip we were already giving him by giving him our leftover Kuna bills.

We heard a lot in Italy about how switching over to the Euro killed their economy and they are still recovering from that. Our guide was telling us how Croatia has hopefully learned from Italy's experience and will be more cautious in the switch to Euro for currency and that it will be a long while (as Woody has indicated). Everything we read before going was that Euro was accepted as a courtesy and nod to the importance of tourism to Dubrovnik - our guide said that 70% of the employment in Dubrovnik is directly related to tourism.
Thanks for all that info! If I hadn't have known that the official currency was still Kuna I probably wouldn't have exchanged for any

Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #895
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know what the VGT tax rate is for the 12 night med sailings with Venice?

Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #896
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

I thought it was 20%. But keep in mind that if you don't fly direct to the US from Barcelona (and fly to another EU country thru a Layover or extended vacation) you won't have the opportunity to pick up the forms to get it refunded. We flew from BCN-AMS and there were no forms. (I am assuming you meant VAT tax, right?)

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #897
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

It's a 20% tax. Getting the refund can be tricky. We didn't read the pamphlet carefully and were not able to get the money back. Here's the trick, get your receipts stamped at customs before taking them to global blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

Our server also told us that the crew cabins are already being redone. She said that many of the crew are living in regular guest cabins because of this. That would be the cause for no upgrades.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #898
hrhdhd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivecaligirl View Post
I thought it was 20%. But keep in mind that if you don't fly direct to the US from Barcelona (and fly to another EU country thru a Layover or extended vacation) you won't have the opportunity to pick up the forms to get it refunded. We flew from BCN-AMS and there were no forms. (I am assuming you meant VAT tax, right?)
The merchant provides the VAT refund form at the point of sale. You must get the form stamped by customs agents at the airport where you exit the EU. I have had forms stamped at AMS before getting on a US-bound flight.

Cruise Booked:
Princess Ruby 11/14 Western Caribbean, RCCL Brilliance 05/15 Transatlantic

Cruises Taken:
HAL Zuiderdam 08/05 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/05 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/06 Western Caribbean, Princess Dawn 05/07 Alaska, HAL Westerdam 12/07 Eastern Caribbean, Princess Island 12/08 Panama Canal, HAL Ryndam 11/09 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 01/10 Southern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/10 Southern Caribbean, Disney Magic 05/11 Transatlantic, Princess Emerald 12/11 Southern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 10/12 Sicily / Malta, Princess Emerald 11/12 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Eurodam 03/13 Eastern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 08/13 Northern Europe, HAL Eurodam 11/13 Western Caribbean
hrhdhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #899
liberty6201
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108
Not sure if anyone following this thread is not booked yet (probably not ), but DCL just released OGT rates for the Aug 24th sailing.
So annoying, paid more for my inside cabin than these are being offered for. Does this mean no upgrades??
liberty6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #900
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears

Dining

Hi. Are the dining times shifted for ports like Rome or La Spezia to accommodate later tour return times? Thanks.
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: