Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #796
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,293

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
I was kind of looking forward to tendering in La Spezia..how far does the ship dock from where it used to drop off tender passengers?
You'll get to tender in Villefranche. I noticed that the tender process in Villefranche was ALOT faster than in La Spezia. In La Spezia we waited 20 minutes for them to fill our boat, and the ride was about 10-15 minutes long. Maybe that's why they changed the process?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #797
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

How wonderful Really hope you do a TR when you get back. Have fun!
We are blogging including pictures. Link is in my sig line but for mobile users, you might not see sig lines. Http://medcruise2013.blogspot.com
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #798
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,788

We are on our first sea day of the inaugural cruise to Venice, and after four intense port days in a row, you can really tell that everyone is glad to have a sea day. The weather is beautiful and the family and kid pool areas are busy. The CM working the soda machines can barely keep the cups filled. Quite a difference from last week when there were more adults and fewer kids. There are many European families onboard this week that couldn't sail last cruise because their children were still in school. So, we have had four ports so I thought I would post a quick update on them.

Villefranche: tendering was better than the previous sailing but excursions still returned later than the last scheduled tender time. It was a beautiful sunny day, unlike the muggy, overcast day 12 days prior, so we were able to get some good photos. We did not do an excursion here. The teenagers stayed onboard and slept. DH and I went into town around 10:15 and walked to the beach and then to the train station to have a look around. There was another ship in town and the line for the ticket office was busier than I would have expected. But the trains apparently were running on time, so no worries there. There is free wifi in the port area, valid for 20 minutes. It's located to the right as you enter the port building from the tendering pier... Just follow the crew.

La Spezia: we did the Florence and Michelangelo tour through DCL. This was a good tour to the heart of Florence and included a visit to the Accademia to see The David which is why we picked this one over others. We had a walk about the historical center which took us outside the Uffizi and by the river, through some of the streets, and by the Duomo before going to the Accademia for our 12:15 entry time which ended up being closer to 12:45 because the museum was overbooked. Our guide did t give us our water bottles when we arrived in Florence but rather at the end of the day, but there was a grocery shop rig across from the Accademia so we were able to dash in and get a drink there. After the Accademia, some folks split off to start their free time earlier while the rest of us went back to the Duomo for a better viewing. By then, the crowds had begun to disperse and it was easier to see and hear. We then had approximately two hours of free time for lunch and whatever else we wanted to do, meeting back at 3:45 at the Michelangelo leather shop. Several of us asked our guide for her recommendation for lunch so she took us to an underground restaurant where our limited Italian let us order the best ravioli we have ever had. We had about 45 minutes left after lunch and were about 15 minutes away from our meeting point, so we did some souvenir shopping and had gelato on the way back. The drive for this tour takes a bit over two hours going and two and a half on the way back. This was on a Saturday and our guide said it takes more time on a week day. Most of us slept on the way back. Oh, we did have a rest stop about an hour into the trip for the driver to fuel up the bus.

Civitavecchia: the boys and DH stayed onboard while I went on the Bracciano and Wine Tasting excursion. DH wasn't feeling well so he opted not to go. We aren't wine drinkers but wanted to see the countryside and also try local foods that would be offered as part of the excursion. It was a beautiful, relaxing day and I enjoyed getting to meet more of our cruise companions. The others reported the wine was good. We were at a local winery where they also produce several other products such as cheese and jams. The time in Bracciano was too limited, not enough time to walk up to the castle which houses a museum in part of it, but as it was Sunday morning, not much was open besides the churches. There is free wifi in the main square. In the afternoon, DH was feeling better, so we took the shuttle to the edge of the port and walked around the boardwalk area... Not much going on but apparently a lot of places to get good wifi. We had a 7:30 all aboard time which was an hour later than our previous stop. At 6:15 there wee a dozen buses dropping off guests and the line of people to board was literally from the forward gangway to the aft. Crazy!

Naples: we did the Half Day Pompeii through DCL for this port. Our meeting time was 8:30 and we were back to the ship by 1:00. We had a full two hours in Pompeii plus about 15 minutes pre-entry to collect a refreshment that was included, and the another 20 minutes at the end for souvenir or shopping. We were able to use the Cameo factory's restrooms which were clean and well supplied. After we got back to the ship, two other DISers and we took taxis to a pizzeria we had found on TripAdvisor so we could have authentic Napoletana pizza. It was a successful venture and we were back onboard by 3:00. Tomorrow we arrive in Venice.

Today is formal night, and there is also the Bella Italia deck party at 10:15 tonight. The Lone Ranger premEARs at 12:01 tonight and will show again at 8:30 AM and again tomorrow night. We arrive in Venice around noon so a morning showing of the movie works better for me than staying up so late tonight. So that's it from here. VAT is 21% for onboard purchases. My of can cash a personal check for up to $300 once per cruise. They have Croatian Kuna onboard that we can exchange for beginning today.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #799
890537
Mouseketeer
 
890537's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hunt Valley, MD
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I have seen LOTS of people turned away. On the front steps of St Peter's there are generally a lot folks standing around waiting because they got told "no". Men with shorts just above the knee seemed the most shocked by the rules
We saw groups of teen girls in the vatican using scarves to make skirts. Never thought about it but might use it if we go back again and it's hot.
890537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #800
890537
Mouseketeer
 
890537's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hunt Valley, MD
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
In La Spezia what time were you at the train station. We want the 9:19 train. Is this doable with a 70 year old and 8 year old?
Depends on how well they can walk. We read in Rick Steves that it was a 10 minute walk but my mom (75) was complaining from the start because we were trying to make the train. We did not make the train we wanted to make (might have been an earlier one - we were headed to Pisa). If you're headed to CT, you might consider the boat - it docks right next to the tender so there's little walk. Taxi cost is way more than Spain - I think it was 20 euros from the train station back to the dock.
890537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #801
DL1957
DIS Veteran
 
DL1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We are on our first sea day of the inaugural cruise to Venice, and after four intense port days in a row, you can really tell that everyone is glad to have a sea day. The weather is beautiful and the family and kid pool areas are busy. The CM working the soda machines can barely keep the cups filled. Quite a difference from last week when there were more adults and fewer kids. There are many European families onboard this week that couldn't sail last cruise because their children were still in school. So, we have had four ports so I thought I would post a quick update on them.

Villefranche: tendering was better than the previous sailing but excursions still returned later than the last scheduled tender time. It was a beautiful sunny day, unlike the muggy, overcast day 12 days prior, so we were able to get some good photos. We did not do an excursion here. The teenagers stayed onboard and slept. DH and I went into town around 10:15 and walked to the beach and then to the train station to have a look around. There was another ship in town and the line for the ticket office was busier than I would have expected. But the trains apparently were running on time, so no worries there. There is free wifi in the port area, valid for 20 minutes. It's located to the right as you enter the port building from the tendering pier... Just follow the crew.

La Spezia: we did the Florence and Michelangelo tour through DCL. This was a good tour to the heart of Florence and included a visit to the Accademia to see The David which is why we picked this one over others. We had a walk about the historical center which took us outside the Uffizi and by the river, through some of the streets, and by the Duomo before going to the Accademia for our 12:15 entry time which ended up being closer to 12:45 because the museum was overbooked. Our guide did t give us our water bottles when we arrived in Florence but rather at the end of the day, but there was a grocery shop rig across from the Accademia so we were able to dash in and get a drink there. After the Accademia, some folks split off to start their free time earlier while the rest of us went back to the Duomo for a better viewing. By then, the crowds had begun to disperse and it was easier to see and hear. We then had approximately two hours of free time for lunch and whatever else we wanted to do, meeting back at 3:45 at the Michelangelo leather shop. Several of us asked our guide for her recommendation for lunch so she took us to an underground restaurant where our limited Italian let us order the best ravioli we have ever had. We had about 45 minutes left after lunch and were about 15 minutes away from our meeting point, so we did some souvenir shopping and had gelato on the way back. The drive for this tour takes a bit over two hours going and two and a half on the way back. This was on a Saturday and our guide said it takes more time on a week day. Most of us slept on the way back. Oh, we did have a rest stop about an hour into the trip for the driver to fuel up the bus.

Civitavecchia: the boys and DH stayed onboard while I went on the Bracciano and Wine Tasting excursion. DH wasn't feeling well so he opted not to go. We aren't wine drinkers but wanted to see the countryside and also try local foods that would be offered as part of the excursion. It was a beautiful, relaxing day and I enjoyed getting to meet more of our cruise companions. The others reported the wine was good. We were at a local winery where they also produce several other products such as cheese and jams. The time in Bracciano was too limited, not enough time to walk up to the castle which houses a museum in part of it, but as it was Sunday morning, not much was open besides the churches. There is free wifi in the main square. In the afternoon, DH was feeling better, so we took the shuttle to the edge of the port and walked around the boardwalk area... Not much going on but apparently a lot of places to get good wifi. We had a 7:30 all aboard time which was an hour later than our previous stop. At 6:15 there wee a dozen buses dropping off guests and the line of people to board was literally from the forward gangway to the aft. Crazy!

Naples: we did the Half Day Pompeii through DCL for this port. Our meeting time was 8:30 and we were back to the ship by 1:00. We had a full two hours in Pompeii plus about 15 minutes pre-entry to collect a refreshment that was included, and the another 20 minutes at the end for souvenir or shopping. We were able to use the Cameo factory's restrooms which were clean and well supplied. After we got back to the ship, two other DISers and we took taxis to a pizzeria we had found on TripAdvisor so we could have authentic Napoletana pizza. It was a successful venture and we were back onboard by 3:00. Tomorrow we arrive in Venice.

Today is formal night, and there is also the Bella Italia deck party at 10:15 tonight. The Lone Ranger premEARs at 12:01 tonight and will show again at 8:30 AM and again tomorrow night. We arrive in Venice around noon so a morning showing of the movie works better for me than staying up so late tonight. So that's it from here. VAT is 21% for onboard purchases. My of can cash a personal check for up to $300 once per cruise. They have Croatian Kuna onboard that we can exchange for beginning today.
Cindy
Great to get your updates! Those of use from the last cruise who are now back at home working! Enjoy. Sue
__________________
DCLStarted in 1999 became Platimum in September 2012! 1st Panama Canal, 1st Med, 1st Balitic, 1st LA to Vancouver repo, 1st Alaska, 1st to Greece & Turkey!
DCL
Western Carribean 1st time on the Fantasy May 2015
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #802
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,788

On the Greek OPAparty day and also on the Bella Italia party day, they have a decorated door contest as part of the party. The take photos of a few of the doors on the ship and then you cheer for the one you ,Ike the most. If you have personal info that might identify you, they skip you, so if you want a chance for your door to be featured, fill it with fun magnets but leave off anything too personal. They go around one night before and look for the doors to feature. There was one DIS door in both the Greek and the Italy ones, so DISers, continue to represent!
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #803
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,697

To those of you who flew US Airways transatlantic, did your flight offer WIFI for purchase? Dh would like this and most of their domestic flights offer it. I'm not sure about international flights though.

Thanks!
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #804
Mommb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 465

I don't think our US Air flight from Philadelphia to Barcelona had WiFi available. We did have screens in front of each seat that offered a variety of movies, TV shows, music, and games at no cost. Headphones were distributed, free, to anyone who wanted them.

Each seat did have a port to use for charging electronic devices, but I don't recall seeing instructions for getting Internet access through personal devices.
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #805
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommb View Post
I don't think our US Air flight from Philadelphia to Barcelona had WiFi available. We did have screens in front of each seat that offered a variety of movies, TV shows, music, and games at no cost. Headphones were distributed, free, to anyone who wanted them.

Each seat did have a port to use for charging electronic devices, but I don't recall seeing instructions for getting Internet access through personal devices.
Thanks. I think this is better than wifi anyway. I usually bring my tablet on a plane to watch movies but in this case I think I'll leave mine home.
Dh likes to catch up emails when we have some downtime.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #806
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 61

Venice activity

I found this and thought it might be fun.
There is also a 2 hour course. Kelly.


CA’ MACANA s.n.c.
Dorsoduro 3172
30123 Venice
Tel. +39-041-2776142, +39-041-5203229
Fax +39-041-5203229
e-mail info@camacana.com


- For families or similar groups, we have two different proposals appropriate for the requests
we generally receive.
- for a description of our mini courses etc., see our website www.camacana.com

ABC OF DECORATION OF A PAPIER-MÂCHÉ MASK

Characteristics:
Language: Italian
Length: 1 hour (they said that language isn't an issue)
Choice of mask: one from the 43 different models available, all in papier-mâché and handmade.


A- instead of the theoretical introduction on technique and history, each family will receive
a copy of our book "Maschere a Venezia" (Masks in Venice) in English, French,
German and Italian, covering those and other subjects.
For a description of the book, see our website:
http://www.camacana.com/eng/book/index.html


B- Practical part:
- Participants choose a mask and decorate it, then take it home immediately as in the
previous mini course

No advance payment is required for the ABC OF DECORATION. The workshop is open to welcome you from Monday to Saturday from 11.00 to 13.00 and from 14.00 to 18.00.
Let us know when you will be arriving and we will confirm our availability.

ABC OF DECORATION
length 1 hour
choice of one mask


PEOPLE
EURO/PERS
1-47
2-42
3 or more-37
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #807
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,293

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We are blogging including pictures. Link is in my sig line but for mobile users, you might not see sig lines. Http://medcruise2013.blogspot.com
Cindy,

I just started reading your updates and I LOVE the pics of Minnie & Daisy with the Mt Vesuvius backdrop! I don't recall seeing them out on the gangway for my cruise (but we did leave really early and get back pretty late). Glad you're having a great time!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #808
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
To those of you who flew US Airways transatlantic, did your flight offer WIFI for purchase? Dh would like this and most of their domestic flights offer it. I'm not sure about international flights though.

Thanks!
Delta doesn't offer wifi for international flights, only domestic, so it may be similar with other airlines.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #809
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

Cindy,

I just started reading your updates and I LOVE the pics of Minnie & Daisy with the Mt Vesuvius backdrop! I don't recall seeing them out on the gangway for my cruise (but we did leave really early and get back pretty late). Glad you're having a great time!
They came out starting around 4:00 PM. I missed Mickey be ause I woke up from a nap at 4:15 and DH was watching from the verandah and told me Minnie had just gone out. He knew I was trying to get photos with her every chance I got. Today she rode in the elevator with me before dinner. I was over the moon!
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #810
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyNurse19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 179

I am sure the answer is here somewhere but i can't find it but is Topsiders Buffet on the Magic open on disembarkation morning for breakfast?
__________________
DisneyNurse19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: