Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #556
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicketts View Post
Someone had mentioned eating McDonald's at the Pantheon in Rome. That McDonald's has since been closed down.
LOL, really was not planning on going all the way to Rome to eat at McDonalds.
That McD's was the cheapest option for you to sit and have a coffee while sitting outside, enjoying the fountain and the Pantheon. All of the other cafes in the area have insane mark up. I think it's too bad that it closed down.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #557
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
2Princessesintow--thanks for the stroller information. I've seen UppaBaby strollers but I've never thought much about it....I will try it out at the next BabiesRUs we go to and see if the strap will work out for us. Thanks!

Heatherbelle--thanks so much for the PAYG phone info! We've decided to get our phones at Tesco since they are everywhere. Great tip about using O2 over Virgin Mobile, and thanks for the link to your other thread. Will definitely be reading it for planning info.

--One question--Capri....we're skipping Capri during our Naples stop to do a private tour of Sorrento, Positano and Pompeii. Would you skip Sorrento or Positano to try to fit in Capri? I know you have to take a boat, etc. I'm not sure we'll have time. I've wanted to go to Positano ever since I've seen "Under the Tuscan Sun." That Marcello is very convincing.

Nzdisneymom---Will be Googling those restaurants you mentioned to see if the menus work out for us. Spaghetti House sounds great
personally we are skipping Pompeii and Capri and just spending the day in Sorrento and Positano. I've never been to any of these places but I've done a lot of research and from what I've read it would be unfortunate to skip Sorrento or Positano. Also Capri is a bit out of the way seeing as the only way to access it is by hydrofoil since it's an island, whereas alternatively you can just drive through Sorrento and Positano.

Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #558
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Does anybody know if there's a way to skip the lines to get into St. Peter's Basillica without visiting the Museums/Sistine Chapel?

Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #559
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108

That McD's was the cheapest option for you to sit and have a coffee while sitting outside, enjoying the fountain and the Pantheon. All of the other cafes in the area have insane mark up. I think it's too bad that it closed down.
It was pretty cool
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #560
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Positano is charming and beautiful. Sorrento has beautiful views. Scary switchbacks getting up there! Capri is just gorgeous. Pompeii is unreal!
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #561
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6
Does anybody know if there's a way to skip the lines to get into St. Peter's Basillica without visiting the Museums/Sistine Chapel?
Yes, well sorta. There is a line to get into St Peters, but it is security. Hope that helps
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #562
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
There are free tours led by seminary students. If you email the College they will tell you if tours are available on your date of visit.

The students are taking exams during June, so they are not held at that time.

Also, DCL 7 nighters visit on Weds, which is the day of the Papal audience, so you can't visit when the Papapl audience is happening and the Basilica is closed (obviously).

Here's the email -- visitorsoffice@pnac.org
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #563
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Is anyone buying an international plan for their phone while away? I'm debating getting the texting and calling package, but I don't really understand how it works or if it is a good deal. I'd like to think there are cafes and shops that will have free wifi in some of our stops, but I'm not sure.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #564
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
How long is the DCL tour? Do you recall the price? I'm thinking of doing this post-cruise because we won't have to worry about what to do with luggage until we can get into our hotel room. Does anyone know if you stay in a DCL hotel post-cruise, can you drop your luggage there early since we have to disembark the ship so early?
The tour was about 4 hours. I always do DCL pre/post hotels in Barcelona. The tour dropped us off at the hotel after the tour around 2pm or so. You will go straight from the ship to the bus with your luggage and then to Montserrat(assuming they get enough people to run the tour). We were only at Montserrat about 2 hours, but that was more than enough time to see everything.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #565
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
Is anyone buying an international plan for their phone while away? I'm debating getting the texting and calling package, but I don't really understand how it works or if it is a good deal. I'd like to think there are cafes and shops that will have free wifi in some of our stops, but I'm not sure.
I always get the international calling plan from my cell company when I travel overseas. With Verizon, you pay a prorated rate of $5 per month for the plan and then that reduces the amount you pay per minute depending on the country you are calling from. I think the cost per minute from Spain is either $.99 or $1.99. Needless to say, I don't call home often or keep my phone on. I usually will turn it on while the ship is in port to see if I've missed any important calls. Text messages are a lot cheaper. I think it's $.25 to send and $.5 to receive. Check with your carrier. They will tell you everything they offer.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #566
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post
I always get the international calling plan from my cell company when I travel overseas. With Verizon, you pay a prorated rate of $5 per month for the plan and then that reduces the amount you pay per minute depending on the country you are calling from. I think the cost per minute from Spain is either $.99 or $1.99. Needless to say, I don't call home often or keep my phone on. I usually will turn it on while the ship is in port to see if I've missed any important calls. Text messages are a lot cheaper. I think it's $.25 to send and $.5 to receive. Check with your carrier. They will tell you everything they offer.
Does this apply to all phones on your plan or just one? Can you get it for just one month then cancel after the trip?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #567
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I have the international plan with AT&T. It is phone specific and you can cancel and add it whenever you want.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #568
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Does anyone have a good "to do" list before the trip? Not a packing list, but a literal to do list? I've started one, but I'd love to get new ideas. Here were some of mine:

1. Get mail forwarded/held by post office
2. Double check all passports, photocopy them, etc.
3. Email private tour companies to reconfirm
4. Dog sitter reservations, etc.
5. Print confirmations

There are tons of things to do, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything. This trip is a bit longer than our usual and I'd hate to sit there and smack my forehead. No one can help me while I'm "out" this time since we'll all be together C'mon OCD DIS'ers...give me a to do list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
This is my standard vacation/cruise list I've been using for years. I have a separate packing list. It's our 1st Med cruise so calling banks to alert them of travel locations isn't on here but will be!

I started doing this when I got tired of dh standing around not knowing what to do or what's already been done. Now I tape this to a small kitchen countertop, sort of out of the way from cooking areas, and we can just cross stuff off as we do it.
We have a mail slot in our garage door but since we've come home to wet mail after heavy rains we now put a laundry basket on a 5 gal. bucket to catch all the mail.

I had to add the part about cleaning the coffeemaker after coming home once in summer to forgotten coffee grinds all loaded with mold.

GETTING READY FOR VACATION

WEEKEND PRIOR:
Set timers on living room and bedroom lamps.
Reconfirm cat sitting with Mary.
Pack as much as possible.
Scrub out litter box and add kitty litter.
Leave contact info and kitty treats out for Mary.
Do as much laundry as possible.
Withdraw cash from vacation account.
Get lots of small bills for tips.

2 DAYS PRIOR:
Charge tablets
Charge i-Pods.
Charge camera battery.
Put luggage in trunk, except dinner clothes.

1 DAY PRIOR:
Check in online for flight.
Bring in garage door opener from truck & minivan.
Charge cell phones.
Pack all chargers.
Have Kyle empty all trash, except kitchen, & put big cans in driveway.

THAT DAY:
Pack dinner clothes/formalwear into garment bag then into trunk.
Empty kitchen trash.
Make beds.
Vacuum
Mani-Pedi
Set thermostat.
Run dishwasher.
Wash out coffeemaker.
Back minivan into driveway.
Unplug garage door opener.
Set bucket to collect mail.
Pack refrigerated meds.
Yay!! I'm so glad I posted this!
My poor old computer died & this is one of my documents I can't get back.
I feel so lost. I had so many planning & packing lists, reminders, etc. unique to our Med cruise & can't get to any of it.

I saved my hard drive & the tech experts at dh's work told dh he should be able to transfer my old docs(+pics & favorites) but we need a special cord. He's been working a lot lately & MIL just getting home from the hospital so I hate to bug him for another thing. I had lots of graphics for our Med cruise too.
Luckily I saved most pics to disc & Photobucket but I don't think I've done that since last fall.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #569
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I am so impressed, I tend to be the pack the day of or night before (although I am thinking about it right now and I don't leave until next Saturday night!)

I did verify I knew where the passport was after reading the "lost passport" thread
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #570
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I am so impressed, I tend to be the pack the day of or night before (although I am thinking about it right now and I don't leave until next Saturday night!)

I did verify I knew where the passport was after reading the "lost passport" thread

Now that would be awful. I love this thing.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: