Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #541
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOANNEL View Post
We are just back from an ncl med cruise. Let me know if you have any questions. Stayed three days in Barcelona. Beautiful city. Used Romeinlimo in all three italy cities. Amazing. Did other cities except Ephesus on our own. Ran into Rick Steeves in Ephesus!!!.
Can you do a summary of what you did in Barcelona? Also, did you go on the NCL Jade? How was NCL?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #542
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOANNEL View Post
We are just back from an ncl med cruise. Let me know if you have any questions. Stayed three days in Barcelona. Beautiful city. Used Romeinlimo in all three italy cities. Amazing. Did other cities except Ephesus on our own. Ran into Rick Steeves in Ephesus!!!.
Did you do Athens on your own? How was it?
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #543
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I'm planning out our 2 precruise days in Barcelona.

Our hotel stay comes with a free 1-day HOHO ticket pp.

Do you think I will need a 2-day metro travelcard? Or just a T-10 card will suffice? I probably shoulda ordered the travelcard last month since it's only 3 Euro shipping but now it might be too late....the TMB doesn't ship T-10 cards. What do you think?
T10 can be bought at the airport metro - card or cash I believe. T10 will be cheaper than a travel card, but I guess it very much depends on your plans. Planning on buying 2 x T10 for my family of 4 which gets into Barcelona, back to the airport & travel back to hotel after walking Las Ramblas with a few left over which are good until the end of the year

Celestine

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #544
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Barcelona Metro T-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post

Now I am concerned. The T-10 ticket should be easy enough to buy on arrival, shouldn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post

T10 can be bought at the airport metro - card or cash I believe. T10 will be cheaper than a travel card, but I guess it very much depends on your plans.
I've purchased T-10 tickets from the ticket machine at the Plaša Catalunya metro station. I tried to use a U.S.-issued Visa card, but it would not accept it. It would only take cards with chip + PIN. So I ended up paying with cash.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #545
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
Now I am concerned. The T-10 ticket should be easy enough to buy on arrival, shouldn't it? That is what I was counting on.
Yes, available at the airport by all accounts.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #546
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Papal audience schedule for the summer, through Sept (7 night cruises are in Rome on Weds): http://www.dosafl.com/imagegallery/V...alCalendar.pdf

I looked on the Vatican.va website but somehow it wasn't posted there.

Found this map of the area surrounding Vatican city. Thought it was helpful, since it includes icons of landmarks and explanations:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...,0.027423&z=15
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #547
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Someone had mentioned eating McDonald's at the Pantheon in Rome. That McDonald's has since been closed down.
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #548
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=ThePicketts;48411841]Someone had mentioned eating McDonald's at the Pantheon in Rome. That McDonald's has since been closed down.[/QUOTE

LOL, really was not planning on going all the way to Rome to eat at McDonalds.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #549
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=JimmyJackJunior;48424375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicketts View Post
Someone had mentioned eating McDonald's at the Pantheon in Rome. That McDonald's has since been closed down.[/QUOTE

LOL, really was not planning on going all the way to Rome to eat at McDonalds.
Over on Cruise Critic I found the "Rome in a day or die" It did require you eat at McDonald's as your "meal allotment of time" was about 30 minutes.

Personally the whole idea of seeing the Vatican, Vatican museum and all the major ancient sites in a day made we either or IT's the "look there it is, keep running" tour, but....
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #550
tajz90
Mama D

Haha. We have ate at the McDs near Spanish Steps for a snack both times we've been to Rome. Oddly enough, it's turned into a joke now. We try to grab a little something at every McD in the diff countries we visit.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #551
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Athens is very, very easy to do on your own. Warning, however, it can be very hot as well
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #552
Angie_Ohio
Mouseketeer

We toured the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel on our 2011 cruise. How can we visit St. Peter's Basilica by itself? Is there a seperate entrance in the front?

Disney Magic: 2007, 2009 Eastern, 2011 Mediterranean, 2013 Mediterranean
Disney Wonder 2009
Disneyland 2008
WDW 1984 (Honeymoon) + many more
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2012

Last edited by Angie_Ohio; 05-18-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling error
Angie_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #553
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
MontSerrat, anyone? Anyone done this on their own?
I didn't do Montserrat on my own, but as a DCL disembarkation tour. I was glad I did. Montserrat is about an hour outside of Barcelona. We arrived in time for mass, so only had time to get a quick peek at the Black Madonna(not actually touch her as I had planned--she's behind plexiglass, so the pictures come out funny). The boys choir was on vacation, so I went to the museum and looked around. We were only there a couple of hours and that was all that was needed. There really isn't much to see there. It's beautiful and peaceful--the guide said that was what most people come for.

I once saw detailed instructions on how to ride the metro to Montserrat. I think it was from a trip post for a previous DCL Med Cruise maybe in 2011 or 2010. Try Allears.net and look at their cruise reports.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #554
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post

I didn't do Montserrat on my own, but as a DCL disembarkation tour. I was glad I did. Montserrat is about an hour outside of Barcelona. We arrived in time for mass, so only had time to get a quick peek at the Black Madonna(not actually touch her as I had planned--she's behind plexiglass, so the pictures come out funny). The boys choir was on vacation, so I went to the museum and looked around. We were only there a couple of hours and that was all that was needed. There really isn't much to see there. It's beautiful and peaceful--the guide said that was what most people come for.

I once saw detailed instructions on how to ride the metro to Montserrat. I think it was from a trip post for a previous DCL Med Cruise maybe in 2011 or 2010. Try Allears.net and look at their cruise reports.
How long is the DCL tour? Do you recall the price? I'm thinking of doing this post-cruise because we won't have to worry about what to do with luggage until we can get into our hotel room. Does anyone know if you stay in a DCL hotel post-cruise, can you drop your luggage there early since we have to disembark the ship so early?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #555
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
How long is the DCL tour? Do you recall the price? I'm thinking of doing this post-cruise because we won't have to worry about what to do with luggage until we can get into our hotel room. Does anyone know if you stay in a DCL hotel post-cruise, can you drop your luggage there early since we have to disembark the ship so early?
This tour is already on the DCL port adventures webpage, so you can pull it up for more detail

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: