Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #511
SparklesofHope
Earning My Ears

Thoughts on La Spezia port

We will be on the June 8th Med cruise and had initially planned to do Cinque Terre on our own. However, many of the trails are still closed. Now we are considering Pisa or Florence instead. But we REALLY want to see Cinque Terre. Our 2 boys, 10 & 11 years old, and my in-laws (in their 70's) will be with us. Thoughts/suggestions??

WDW 1984; Christmas 2010 Hilton Bonnet Creek
Disneyland, CA--Too many to count!
1st DCL cruise--Magic in the Med 6/2013
SparklesofHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #512
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazy2004 View Post
Great information, thank you so much I am looking it up on Google maps right now We are planning on using the Metro/train
No problem. BTW they've closed the entrance to Palatine Hill that used to be right at Capitoline Museum, but there's one close by. Can't recall the street name but if you google it will come up.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #513
a1sand
Earning My Ears

Vatican tickets

If I buy my vatican tickets in advance, what is a good time to shoot for? I think we'd like to do that first, just to make sure we see the Sistine chapel, etc. and then if we have time go to the Colliseum. We will have an 8yo and a 10yo so there we won't be spending a ton of time appreciating the art.
a1sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #514
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesofHope View Post
We will be on the June 8th Med cruise and had initially planned to do Cinque Terre on our own. However, many of the trails are still closed. Now we are considering Pisa or Florence instead. But we REALLY want to see Cinque Terre. Our 2 boys, 10 & 11 years old, and my in-laws (in their 70's) will be with us. Thoughts/suggestions??
How about this?

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...nic-boat-tour/
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #515
SparklesofHope
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
We did consider the Disney boat tour, but since we are cruising, was hoping to stay on land . The price also seemed a bit steep, $780 for a half-day tour for 6 of us. We may just have to take our chances and take the train to Cinque Terre and actually be spontaneous!

WDW 1984; Christmas 2010 Hilton Bonnet Creek
Disneyland, CA--Too many to count!
1st DCL cruise--Magic in the Med 6/2013
SparklesofHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #516
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We did consider the Disney boat tour, but since we are cruising, was hoping to stay on land . The price also seemed a bit steep, $780 for a half-day tour for 6 of us. We may just have to take our chances and take the train to Cinque Terre and actually be spontaneous!
Is the ferry still running even though the trails are closed? If it's running maybe you can take it from town to town instead of walking the trails. Link to ferry a few pages back.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #517
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sand View Post
If I buy my vatican tickets in advance, what is a good time to shoot for? I think we'd like to do that first, just to make sure we see the Sistine chapel, etc. and then if we have time go to the Colliseum. We will have an 8yo and a 10yo so there we won't be spending a ton of time appreciating the art.
There are reports of the line guard letting people in early, but not late. So I'd reserve a time that is 30 minutes later than when you intend to arrive.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #518
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

We aren't until 2014, but we are going to train to Pisa to climb the tower. The boys (mine are 8 and 10) really want to do it. I really am dying to go to CT - if we do that we will just wander around and hit the beaches.

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #519
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are planning to go to Cinque Terre on our own the following week, and we plan to just take the train to the furthest village, spend a little time there, then use the train to make our way back, stopping along the way. We had hoepd the Lovers Walk would be open so we could walk that part, but we'll just take the train if it's still closed.

http://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/cinque-terre-timetable

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #520
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfreud View Post
We aren't until 2014, but we are going to train to Pisa to climb the tower. The boys (mine are 8 and 10) really want to do it. I really am dying to go to CT - if we do that we will just wander around and hit the beaches.

Kim
In 2007, our boys were 11 and 9 and the one thing they asked to do for the trip was to climb the tower, so we did Pisa instead of Florence. This time we're going to Florence It's really fun to be able to do it and it makes great memories for them.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #521
debsters41
DIS Veteran

We were hoping to go to pisa, climb the tower and then head back to Cinque Terre to see one or two villages. Has anyone done this? Can anyone suggest a good time to book the climb the tower at pisa tickets?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #522
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are doing the train to the villages. I think there are some trails open, but the "harder" ones are still closed Since my mom is older I didn't think she would be up for harder so we will just plan to train between villages. May take the ferry some too.

I think this is a do on your own and adapt as you go kind of day
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #523
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

I too want to squeeze in Pisa and CT but not sure we can... I want to book early pisa tickets, but then I am also afraid to miss the time!

Glad to hear other boys liked Pisa! I guess I will take one for the team and miss CT.. . DH and I went to Pisa in 2000 and I did love seeing the tower! You couldn't climb it then, so I am looking forward to that!

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #524
tajz90
Mama D

We climbed the tower in 07 and had so much fun that we want to climb it again this year. It's something not to be missed. I also would love to head back and check out Cinque Terre before we head back to the ship. Hoping we can squeeze it all in.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #525
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
We climbed the tower in 07 and had so much fun that we want to climb it again this year. It's something not to be missed. I also would love to head back and check out Cinque Terre before we head back to the ship. Hoping we can squeeze it all in.
Be sure to check out the train schedule for Cinque Terre area from La Spezia so you can figure out the times should you try to do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfreud View Post
I too want to squeeze in Pisa and CT but not sure we can... I want to book early pisa tickets, but then I am also afraid to miss the time!

Glad to hear other boys liked Pisa! I guess I will take one for the team and miss CT.. . DH and I went to Pisa in 2000 and I did love seeing the tower! You couldn't climb it then, so I am looking forward to that!
They had recently re-opened the tower for climbing when we went in 2007. Our afternoon in Pisa was one of our favorite days on that trip. We did it through DCL and had an afternoon departure, so we had the morning to just sleep in or we could have gone off ship and into town or done something else in the morning.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: