Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
zippy99
DIS Veteran

Reading this with interest....

We were looking at flying

18/08 from LHR to JFK - arriving 8pm
then on 19/08 Flying from LGA to MCO at 7pm
We would then just fly home from MCO to LHR on 03/09

The cost to us (due to our £96 of Delta vouchers each) is £430 per person

I am sure we will get to NY and pretty much hit the sack but be up early to catch a few sights before flying down to MCO - but DH just thinks we will be too tired - I would love to see Central Park & Time Square.

Anyone think this is viable or wise - or are we trying to cram too much in to the day?

Disneyworld Orlando - AKL, Disney Dream & Contemporary - October 2014 Disneyworld Orlando - Wilderness Lodge & RPR - August 2013
Disneyworld Orlando - RPR & CBR - August 2012 Florida Emerald Island Resort - October 2011
Disneyworld Orlando - OKW - October 2010 Disneyworld Orlando - POFQ - September 2009
Disneyworld Orlando - Pop Century - January 2008 Disneyland Paris - DisneyLand Hotel - Christmas 2006
Disneyland Paris - Sequioa Lodge - October 2005 Disneyland Paris - Sequioa Lodge - March 2004
zippy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy99 View Post

I am sure we will get to NY and pretty much hit the sack but be up early to catch a few sights before flying down to MCO - but DH just thinks we will be too tired - I would love to see Central Park & Time Square.

Anyone think this is viable or wise - or are we trying to cram too much in to the day?
Make use of the jet lag. Get a hotel in the city and crash as soon as you arrive (should be there by 10pm). Get up at 6-7am (won't feel early) and set out for your day before 8am. That'll give you a good 8 hours to enjoy the city. Do brunch!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid2sea View Post
Can anyone recommend a hotel? We may do it as a stopover.
we've stayed at the sanctuary hotel just off time square and loved it.

quite expensive though.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holstar View Post
The best advice we were given before our last trip to New York was to do Top Of The Rock and not the Empire State Building! The justification was that you want the Empire State Building in the skyline of any photographs you take, and you can't have that if you're standing on it!
lol why didnt i think of that?! seems so obvious now!
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Holstar
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy99 View Post

Definitely viable! Look for a hotel central to Time Square/Central Park and you'll be fine!

We've always stayed in The Helmsley Park Lane - it's beautiful and directly faces Central Park, with Time Square a ten minute walk behind it. Genuinely, you come out of the hotel doors, cross the road and you're standing in Central Park!

It's a little pricey... Just had a quick look for your dates, and for two adults it's $224. But, for the view (and the gorgeous restaurant!) it's worth it!

xxx

Me, 25 Ben, 27 : Daisy, 16 Jasmine, 13 Chloe, 10

.~* 22nd August - 9th September 2014, Walt Disney World Old Key West *~.
Holstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #21
stevechase
DIS Veteran

Hi guys we did NY last year for a week at the start our second time and it is amazing. But one thing to consider its gonna cost you a lot of money for one night. Can you stretch it at all? It will cost you at least 60 dollars each way, airport to city, empire state will be 20 each, meal, hotel, it will add up to a few quid for a few hours and you won't even scratch the surface. Having said that, Staten island ferry is free and you get the most stunning views on the way back to Manhattan. Grab a coffee and sit on the red steps at time square and watch the world go by.

Loads of nice places to eat, but for a themed one try Bubba Gumps at time square, bucket of boat trash is very good with a pint of Samuel Adams cherry wheat beer.

Also it will make you want to go back for longer. Enjoy, Steve

1989 - Daytona Beach
1990 - 2001 Various Spanish hols
2002 - All Star Movies
2003 - Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne
2004 - Tunisia
2005 - Varadero, Cuba
2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
2008 - Dominican Republic
2009 - New York & Port Orleans Riverside
2010 - Cancun, Mexico
2011 - Montego Bay, Jamaica
2012 - New York, Washington DC, Fort Wild Resort
2013 - Turkey (April)
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (July/August)
2014 - Benidorm
2015 - USA, NY/California, Florida
stevechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
davidmolliesmum
i must resist chocolate... i must resist chocolate....

... ok so we're now staying another night in New york but am struggling to find the best option for us regarding travel from airport (newark) to nyc and where to get a hotel!?!?

are we cheaper to taxi to nyc form newark (2 adults 2 kids) or bus, train etc??

September 2014; Disney Villa & 1st DisneyCruise,September 2013; Southern Dunes, August 2012: Southern Dunes, September 2011: Southern Dunes, September 2010 All Star Sports, June 2009: Kissimmee, June 2008: Southern Dunes, June 2007: Pop Century and Wedding!
Me DH DS10 DD8

davidmolliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #23
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmolliesmum View Post
... ok so we're now staying another night in New york but am struggling to find the best option for us regarding travel from airport (newark) to nyc and where to get a hotel!?!?

use a car service or a taxi (my preference is always for car service - with a taxi, you have no idea how good or bad the driver will be)...
you're there for a short time and with luggage, you do NOT want to go by public transportation...

i'll look up car services for you..
from JFK, we use dial 7, but i don't know if they operate out of newark - let me check..

yes, i just checked - they also operate from newark..
they are very reputable..
here's the website:
http://www.dial7.com/
there's an online rate of $46 for a sedan from newark into manhattan for 4 passengers...
the return looks to be $52...
but you could call them up and get the information and then book online..

Last edited by disneyholic family; 03-08-2013 at 01:45 AM.
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #24
irenep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmolliesmum View Post

We used Carmel Limo last year for our transfer. Newark/NYC was $43 and we got a coupon for $4 off as well on their website. Whatever you do do NOT use public taxis as they cost double that.
Learned that the hard way - I was quoted $50 for the trip back to Newark but it turned out to be $85 Should have gone back with the limo service again.
We got a good deal at the Hyatt Grand Central which suited us but with only 2 nights I think somewhere nearer Times Square would be better.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #25
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenep View Post
We used Carmel Limo last year for our transfer. Newark/NYC was $43 and we got a coupon for $4 off as well on their website. Whatever you do do NOT use public taxis as they cost double that.
Learned that the hard way - I was quoted $50 for the trip back to Newark but it turned out to be $85 Should have gone back with the limo service again.
We got a good deal at the Hyatt Grand Central which suited us but with only 2 nights I think somewhere nearer Times Square would be better.
yes, carmel is the other well known limo service.
everyone i know uses either dial 7 or carmel.

here is carmel's website:
http://carmellimo.com/index.html

and here is the link to their coupon:
http://carmellimo.com/coupon1.htm
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

I'm not really sure why so many people are suggesting to stay near Times Square. Times Square is fun to see at least once but it's hardly the highlight of NYC. Quite the opposite, in my opinion! All you need is a hotel near a subway station.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #27
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_princess_85 View Post
I'm not really sure why so many people are suggesting to stay near Times Square. Times Square is fun to see at least once but it's hardly the highlight of NYC. Quite the opposite, in my opinion! All you need is a hotel near a subway station.
the times square area - or midtown in general, is great if you intend to see any broadway productions....
it makes it much easier to get back to your hotel after the show when it's relatively impossible to find a taxi (and no way would i ever get on the subway late at night)..

there are much nicer places to stay than times square, but it is very convenient for the theatre...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
davidmolliesmum
i must resist chocolate... i must resist chocolate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
use a car service or a taxi (my preference is always for car service - with a taxi, you have no idea how good or bad the driver will be)...
you're there for a short time and with luggage, you do NOT want to go by public transportation...

i'll look up car services for you..
from JFK, we use dial 7, but i don't know if they operate out of newark - let me check..

yes, i just checked - they also operate from newark..
they are very reputable..
here's the website:
http://www.dial7.com/
there's an online rate of $46 for a sedan from newark into manhattan for 4 passengers...
the return looks to be $52...
but you could call them up and get the information and then book online..
thank you for this info..... sounds like a good option for us!!
September 2014; Disney Villa & 1st DisneyCruise,September 2013; Southern Dunes, August 2012: Southern Dunes, September 2011: Southern Dunes, September 2010 All Star Sports, June 2009: Kissimmee, June 2008: Southern Dunes, June 2007: Pop Century and Wedding!
Me DH DS10 DD8

davidmolliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
Lee barlow
Earning My Ears

Hi, I just wondered if you tip the driver and if so how much usually ?

Thanks
Lee
Lee barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #30
willeve
Mouseketeer

If you are only having a short stay, Times Square is ideal. Close enough to everything, and completely iconic. We stayed at the Doubletree Suites Times Square last month, super hotel and not too expensive. Taxi from Newark was $65 then $18 for tolls. Taxi from the airport is a flat fee, return is NOT, try to get a town car from the doorman and secure the price before you leave. Our SUV was $90 all in, actually only slightly more than the outbound taxi.
willeve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: