Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
eetravel
Earning My Ears

Shows on Fantasy

I know that people have addressed Alladin and Believe previously but was wondering what people thought of the other shows: Fantasy Come True, Wishes, and Unforgettable Journey. Right now we have ressies for Remy on Friday so will miss Unforgettable Journey. My DD loves shows though so considering switching to a "nonshow" night once on board. I do know they do some matinee shows but we're leaving next week and not sure they would be doing those this time of year. Thanks
eetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

I know many people feel Wishes is just a commercialized "High School Musical" type show, but my wife, daughter and I actually enjoyed this show the most on our last cruise.

We all thought it was refreshing that they incorporated new musical numbers such the 'no strings on me' number from Pinocchio and the 'I have a dream' song from Tangled.

The show itself starts off a little slow, but picks up once it gets going. But we all really thought the performances were truly inspired. The performers on our cruise were incredibly talented with great vocal range. And we later found out that many of the cast were sick that night (which explained the very brief curtain call) and just toughed it out.

But the best testimonial I could give was my normally reserved, jaded teenage daughter who my wife and I observed totally immersed in the story and actually mouthing the words to a few of the songs and even a little misty-eyed at times. Priceless to us to see her reaction to the show.

Incredibly, we did not see Believe (a mistake we will remedy in 3 months). We thought Aladdin was just so-so...however I will add the caveat that we couldn't help but compare it to the Aladdin show at Disneyland, which is unfair considering all the limitations they have on a ship vs. having a show in a land-based performance hall.

The number on the final night was pretty weak we thought. I think we'd skip that the next time.
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Unforgettable Journey is a summation of the week's cruise and somewhat an advertisement for DCL, similar to Fantasy Come True. We plan to skip it on our next cruise.

I liked Wishes, yes it's High School Musical ish. Believe was probably my favorite followed by Aladdin.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The first and last night shows are not real shows in the same sense as the 3 main productions. They just applies hyped up names to the "welcome aboard" and "farewell" shows. You can miss either of these with no great loss.

Don't get me wrong...they are cute, fun, etc....but not "must see."
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
goofy1107
Earning My Ears

My DW and I just got off the fantasy and loved all the shows they did matinee shows for almost all of them except the first night!
goofy1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy1107
My DW and I just got off the fantasy and loved all the shows they did matinee shows for almost all of them except the first night!
Is the matinee identical to the night show????
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsketomom

Is the matinee identical to the night show????
Yes. We much prefer going there & freeing up the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eetravel View Post
I know that people have addressed Alladin and Believe previously but was wondering what people thought of the other shows: Fantasy Come True, Wishes, and Unforgettable Journey. Right now we have ressies for Remy on Friday so will miss Unforgettable Journey. My DD loves shows though so considering switching to a "nonshow" night once on board. I do know they do some matinee shows but we're leaving next week and not sure they would be doing those this time of year. Thanks
IMHO, I would skip the Fantasy Come True and Unforgettable Journey shows on the first and last nights. The first one basically tells you what you will experience on the ship and the last show basically tells you what you did experience. I'm not sure what to classify them as... "showmercials?" (part show part commercial?)
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreIsMyName View Post
IMHO, I would skip the Fantasy Come True and Unforgettable Journey shows on the first and last nights. The first one basically tells you what you will experience on the ship and the last show basically tells you what you did experience. I'm not sure what to classify them as... "showmercials?" (part show part commercial?)
I have actually enjoyed these "bookend" shows on the Magic, so I'm curious to see them on the Fantasy.

They don't do matinees of these shows.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We really enjoyed Wishes on the MV. Looked like a teenage level of Dreams to me, with fresh songs used. One of my favorite scenes was the Hawaian Rollercoaster Ride song. I teared up at the end. Maybe it is because my kids are getting older, this gets to me. I didn't bawl like I have several times when watching Dreams though.

The one disappointment for me was Believe. The Genie was fantastic, but the story was bland and not what I expected. Maybe the cast hadn't identified with their roles for that one yet on the MV. I didn't hate it like another show I refuse to see again, but it was a let down after all the positive comments I had read.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: