Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #1291
WhereInFlorida
More Disney = A better day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHomer View Post
The worst for me was the entrance into the speedway. That steep little drop killed my knees.
Just some more reasons to add hill work into your training

Slick, smooth concrete made me slow down on that section.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #1292
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Just fyi-

The Room only discount and SPD discount is available for Jan for Disney Visa card members.

I checked the monorail area and EPCOT resorts for 1/10-1/13.
Poly, CR and Boardwalk only had CL/suites available. WL had courtyard, BC had garden or lagoon (? I forget, knew I didn't want to stay there). FW cabins were available.

I ended up picking Yacht Club which had lagoon views available.

Since the lagoon view is a bit more than I was willing to spend for three nights we will spend Fri night at ASmo and Sat/Sun at YC.
pinkxray is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #1293
TCB in FLA
Mouseketeer

Hi all - So glad to join you all. Will have to find a 8th day of the week to catch up on this thread.
I am running my first marathon with you in January! I've run 4 half marathons, with another scheduled for November, plus teach 3-5 Jazzercise classes a week. My original running partner blew out her knee before signing up, so I'm doing this solo. But totally have to do this -- my 25th high school reunion is next summer, so I have just a few months to run a marathon, lose 15 pounds and write a best-selling novel...

Disney Marathon January 2014

Disney Dream 3/30/14
Me and DH , DS13 DS11
TCB in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #1294
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Just got free dining for my 1/10-1/14 stay :-)
steves1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #1295
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

Thinking even deeper, when I think of the course, I still loop through and run into the Front Gate of Epcot, loop back through the start then head up to MK. I still have flashbacks of the audio and visual cues at mile 13 repeating “Half to the LEFT, Full to the RIGHT…. Half to the LEFT, Full to the RIGHT…” That is the point where the new course turns left into the parking lot for the Speedway.

Enough reminiscing
We were just talking about this over the weekend in the corral for TOT. One of the girls was trying to figure out how they ran the Goofy when both the 1/2 and full were the same day. Had a nice giggle. My first 2 marathon weekends were 04 & 05 when they ran the same day. I wonder how many marathoners use to bail at the 1/2 point.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #1296
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

If you haven't booked your flights yet, today may be a good day to look. I just booked round trip from New York, both direct flights for $190.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #1297
cherrybomb11
queen bee

For those of you who have done a full, how did you feel the day after your first marathon? I already know not plan anything the rest of the day, but I am wondering if I should even attempt to go to a park the day after.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #1298
Nole95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb11 View Post
For those of you who have done a full, how did you feel the day after your first marathon? I already know not plan anything the rest of the day, but I am wondering if I should even attempt to go to a park the day after.
I have actually read in a couple places that the best thing you can do after the full is to walk around. Laying down and doing nothing will lead to some stiff muscles.

This is our first marathon, and once we are done, we plan on getting cleaned up and heading back out to EPCOT for the afternoon.
Nole95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #1299
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've done two marathons (very slowly), and later that day, in addition to the next day, I found it helpful to walk around to keep from getting too stiff and sore. There was no fancy footwork involved, and stairs weren't my favorite thing in the world, but movement definitely seemed like a good idea. Of course, I did sit more than usual in between times walking around. You may want to try the Studios if you want a smaller walking space with numerous attractions that involve sitting. Epcot is spread out, but depending on what you choose to tour, you could still get a good mix of walking and resting.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #1300
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Change your plans and get to a park. The tendency is to clean up, eat and sleep. Sleep in the worst thing you can do. Take in a recovery meal on your way back to the room, shower (and ice bath if that is what you do – though science is suggesting that is not as wise as once thought) and a light meal and rest for a bit. Stretch out before you rest. I would hang near the room or resort for a little bit to be near a facility once you kidneys kick back into full service. You will need to urinate once that happens. I would then head for the parks. You may not feel much like the upper end rides, but walking, hydrating and snacking is in order. If you feel the need to hit a park bench, stretch before sitting and keep the sit to a short time. The more you walk around the better Monday will be.

Monday, you will still have residual soreness and new delayed soreness will want to kick in Monday afternoon. I find that keeping active on Sunday allows a short jog on Monday morning. It drives the folks who sat around Sunday crazy as I am out slowly running and they are cringing with every step.

We tend to walk Epcot Sunday afternoon. It has lots of benches and coming in from the I Gate means high action rides are not easily reached.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #1301
DoctorK
Mouseketeer

I was wondering if MarathonFoto offers a multi-race package (I guess it would have been Goofy last year, Dopey for this year) on their photo packages. It looks like pricing is about $70 for all photos, but if I'd have to pay that for each race (5k, 10k, Half and Full) that's probably not going to happen.
DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #1302
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
I was wondering if MarathonFoto offers a multi-race package (I guess it would have been Goofy last year, Dopey for this year) on their photo packages. It looks like pricing is about $70 for all photos, but if I'd have to pay that for each race (5k, 10k, Half and Full) that's probably not going to happen.
Do you sign up for the package after you see the photos, or do you have to do that before the race?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1303
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
In 2011 they did. They even let me combine my full with my DH's half. I got both set of pictures and just paid the Goofy price.
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #1304
DoctorK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
In 2011 they did. They even let me combine my full with my DH's half. I got both set of pictures and just paid the Goofy price.
Awesome, thanks! I believe you wait until after the race and you can see the photos before you order.
DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #1305
IRunDisney2

Me and my wife will be running in the 2014 WDW Marathon.

I am pretty sure the course is exactly the same as the 2013 race, Does anyone know if we will be able to ride any coasters during the race?

I have read previous TR's and some were able to ride Everest.
IRunDisney2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: