Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #271
belle2211
DIS Veteran

I am debating signing up for the full. I've done 3 halfs all last year (W&D, WDW Half, and PHM), done last years TOT and am signed up for this year's and am doing DDD. I was thinking of switching my WDW half to the full last year and then hurt my knee running 16 miles during training. I think I want to do it, but I'm just not sure!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #272
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

Do it! I haven't run past a 10K yet. I am on a training plan for a half in June. Going to keep it going through Jan for the full. We can be virtual training partners.
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #273
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
I am debating signing up for the full. I've done 3 halfs all last year (W&D, WDW Half, and PHM), done last years TOT and am signed up for this year's and am doing DDD. I was thinking of switching my WDW half to the full last year and then hurt my knee running 16 miles during training. I think I want to do it, but I'm just not sure!
Since the marathon is kind of your hometown event, I say sign up for it. See ya out on West Orange Trail
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #274
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_TCR View Post
I am in. Booked DVC for Animal Kingdom Lodge. This will be my first marathon. I was on a good plan last year. I was running 5Ks and 10 Ks until I got shinsplints BAD. Was out 4 months for Physical Therapy. Back at it again. Ran my first 5K a month ago. 10K this weekend. 1/2 marathon in June. Then ramping up for the full in Jan.

Does anyone have a group started on facebook too? If not is anyone interested?
There are a couple of WDW Marathon Weekend groups on fb already, just do a search for them, "marathon weekend" should bring them up. WISH has a fb group, too (Disboards WISH Team). And there are several other runDisney fb groups, I have one as well that I just started, pm me for the link if you want it.

Last edited by liznboys; 03-15-2013 at 09:19 AM.
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #275
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

I don't think I saw this mentioned yet...?

Did you all see the snippet in the runDisney email from this Monday (for W&D registration) about Marathon Weekend's new medals?

"WALT DISNEY WORLD® MARATHON WEEKEND PRESENTED BY CIGNA ON SALE SOON!
January 9-12, 2014
Are you ready to experience 26.2 miles of magic at the Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna? With all-new medals for the Marathon, Half Marathon and Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge, this weekend is one you won't want to miss.

Mark your calendars, registration for this exciting weekend opens April 9, 2013."
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #276
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
I don't think I saw this mentioned yet...?

Did you all see the snippet in the runDisney email from this Monday (for W&D registration) about Marathon Weekend's new medals?

"WALT DISNEY WORLD® MARATHON WEEKEND PRESENTED BY CIGNA ON SALE SOON!
January 9-12, 2014
Are you ready to experience 26.2 miles of magic at the Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna? With all-new medals for the Marathon, Half Marathon and Goofys Race and a Half Challenge, this weekend is one you won't want to miss.

Mark your calendars, registration for this exciting weekend opens April 9, 2013."
I would have thought the Mickey was a given. Hate to see them mess with Goofy the year before the 10th. It's going to be a real hit on the race budget living in the backyard of the mouse house.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 03-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #277
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
Just call. I've been having the same problem for a month. It shows no availability resort wide and that just can't be right. Sadly I'm not ready to book yet but just like to play fantasy vacation when I'm bored at work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
To make reservations this far in advance, you're going to have to call. They cannot give you any rate info at this time, BUT they can at least get you in at your resort of choice.

Pay your $200 deposit now, and you can always change the details later.
thank you...I did call and get prices, but then decided to rent DVC points at Old Key West. First time renting points, so I'm a little nervous about making sure everything goes as planned, but hopefully all goes well!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #278
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Anyone who has run the marathon and PHM 2013 Is the full marathon as congested as the Princess? I'm trying to decide between running my first full at Disney or somewhere less congested. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #279
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Since the marathon is kind of your hometown event, I say sign up for it. See ya out on West Orange Trail
I don't know if I'd go to run out there. I'm the type that if I don't run immediately after rolling out of bed, I'm not going to do it (well, except my short runs). So you might see me running up and down our road a lot!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #280
mickeyd78
Mouseketeer

I'm doing a PTR and training log for the 2014 WDW marathon. Feel free to follow along:

Mickeyd's 2014 WDW Marathon training and PTR
mickeyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #281
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
Anyone who has run the marathon and PHM 2013 Is the full marathon as congested as the Princess? I'm trying to decide between running my first full at Disney or somewhere less congested. Thanks.
I ran my first full this year in Disney Marathon weekend and although it wasn't as congested as the half it was still a busy race...of course it depends on what coral you are in. I was in the dead last coral which was H.
One fellow fell and had to be hauled away right after crossing the start line and I think he got accidently bumped by another runner. As I came to the 20th mile area (it just stands out in my head) I can remember seeing hoards of people running...both ahead and behind.

So I would tell you that it is congested though I never ran the Princess races.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #282
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
It's going to be a real hit on the race budget living in the backyard of the mouse house.
Does this mean the job in Florida came through? If so, congrats!

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #283
cewait
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Does this mean the job in Florida came through? If so, congrats!
I am late with this news on the board. I have let a few folks know and left cookie crumbles under the avatar.

As a background...last November I started discussing a possible job opportunity in the Orlando area. NO, not a Disney job; rather, one within our company. While down for marathon in January, I snuck off one day to interview. The interview went well, but seemingly the process hit some unexpected roadblocks. Long story short, I signed a relocation agreement this week and will be relocating to the MCO area in the next few weeks. We have talked about possibly moving to FLA for well over a decade but have never had a good opportunity. We plan on giving this a couple years at least then see where we are. Plans are to eventually ‘semi-retire’ as a Disney employee. This is on the heals of losing out on the now abaolished WalMart greeters job – Sam is rolling over. I guess to be totally honest, I did also interview for a monorail driver position the Monday following the Goofy and was offered a job, even though during the interview I indicated that I was not really ready to work under a semi-retired pay structure.

Now, it's done. Well, except for the selling, buying, packing, unpacking, wondering where the truck went, wondering how the mover can break an anvil and finally deciding that we need new furniture because nothing looks right.

While not looking to be in the exact back yard of WDW, I am thinking that Mary will insist on an easy commute. For me, I am only headed to the office about a third of the time so I am rather portable. My office is in Maitland so we are looking in the Clermont, Winter Garden and Windermere areas. We have also really fallen for the Hunter's Creek area. For those not familiar, it is the point on the tollway about halfway between the airport and Disney where you a) think this place really looks like a nice place to live on the way to Disney and b) sadly think, if I lived here I would be home. It is 180 degrees opposite Maitland, it is near the Floridas Turnpike and I would have access via that path.

Already, we have already heard from folks that I last saw 31 years ago at our wedding - wondering if we have room over the xx weekend. Ok, just kidding - a little. We are upsizing a room in anticipation of having friends and family in for short visits. BUT, we have reminded friends that there are over nearly 27,000 rooms in 23 resorts on the 25,000 acres of land…. That compared with 4 rooms on a quarter to a third acre in any house that I may buy.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #284
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
I don't know if I'd go to run out there. I'm the type that if I don't run immediately after rolling out of bed, I'm not going to do it (well, except my short runs). So you might see me running up and down our road a lot!
Nothing like running with a head lamp. I am also one that must slip into running shoes rather than slippers to assure a successful run. Can I ask where you trained last year? PM if need be. Looking for ideas where one can go long and not see the same real estate over and over.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 03-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #285
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
I ran the Full this year in January and the Princess Half in February. I felt that the Princess was MUCH more crowded. I had times during the Full that crowding got bad, but there were also times with plenty of elbow room. For me, in Corral D for the Princess, the course never opened up at all. The Full was more fun. That was my mileage. Others' may vary.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: