Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #256
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

Ok, I previously stated that I had booked the boardwalk through dvc for the marathon week. Well, that fell through. DVC points never came through on the rental site and out situation changed. (another person is coming on the trip.
However, we now have a 2br booked at Bonnet Creek. So, I am still in!

So, whats the traffic like that Sunday morning? not to part, but to drop someone off?

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #257
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

I wasn't going to do it again next year but...

I'll be back next January for Goofy instead of "just" the marathon. I'm incredibly excited. And possibly insane.
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #258
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001 View Post
I wasn't going to do it again next year but...

I'll be back next January for Goofy instead of "just" the marathon. I'm incredibly excited. And possibly insane.
yay. another person as goofy as i am planning to be!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #259
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMHDad View Post
Ok, I previously stated that I had booked the boardwalk through dvc for the marathon week. Well, that fell through. DVC points never came through on the rental site and out situation changed. (another person is coming on the trip.
However, we now have a 2br booked at Bonnet Creek. So, I am still in!

So, whats the traffic like that Sunday morning? not to part, but to drop someone off?
I stayed at All Star Sports and debated taking the bus or driving until 3am the morning of! I ended up driving. I left at 3:10 and parked at 3:30. I didn't have any problem getting in, just a little slow down turning into the lot. Hopefully that gives you an idea of what the traffic is like early!

On the flip side, I drove for the Princess last year and left somewhere around 4:15. The traffic was out to the double lanes on World Drive that enter Epcot. I was really worried I wouldn't make it. I did, and I got there around 5am.
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #260
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Another odd question...

I am planning on running in the 2014 marathon. We are moving our Dis vacation from feb to jan in order to do so. I have never run a marathon, but I am not a couch potato. My max distance so far is 10 miles. Not marathon ready of course, but I am working on regular excersise right now and will be engaging in Galloway's 28 week training program. That said, dont count me in yet. Its weird, but I dont want to jinx myself. I am trying to refrain for talking to boldly until I have bought that ticket in April. (weird I know, but how it is lol)

So here's the question. I WANT Disney to be my first marathon. It is also I life goal to run a marathon. However, I care VERY LITTLE about my time. I dont want to be last or struggling with getting cut, but I dont care about posting I PR. I am planning on getting a pic for every character possible. I am planning on soaking in EVERY bit of MAGIC possible. I know it is crazy but I would even love to ride Everest.

SO, is it possible to really engage in all the Disney magic if I dont care about the time? (knowing I wont be standing in 20 minute lines of course)

Also, what should my pace be? If I am going to be sucking out all this time with pics and such, adding in possible bathroom breaks and water breaks, what should my marathon pace be to still be good?
Not an odd question! I was injured and my pace was a minute slower at around 14:30. I finished in 6:22. The only time I was worried about sweepers was when I was at the out and back point coming out of WWOS. I saw the sweepers entering WWOS. I was about 3 miles ahead and it actually helped me get my second wind.

I only stopped for two picture stops. The Fairy Godmother near the International Gateway and Duffy near Mexico. Both of them didn't have lines. However, I stopped for bathroom breaks about five times. I wanted to stop for more characters, but I was mentally more worried about finishing for my first time. I learned from my first half marathon that for me, not using the bathroom and being uncomfortable wasn't worth a character stop. If I hadn't waited so much in those lines, I could have waited for a few characters.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #261
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So, am I an idiot? FOr think I can fly down, run on Sun and still do the fam vacation? What are your thoughts?
It looks like it varies for everyone. I went down the Thursday before and stayed until Monday night. Being on my feet half of the day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday definitely affected me for the race, so there could be a downside to also vacationing before. I took a nap after the marathon and then went to MK on Sunday night. I was doing the Frankenstein walk but it wasn't unbearable. On Monday we walk around all day again and I felt a lot better recovering that week. When I did the Princess, I flew back home the night of the half and was in intense pain for a week after the race. Walking around the parks can have benefits for some!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #262
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
yay. another person as goofy as i am planning to be!
We're awesome! what training plan are you using? I used Hal Higdon for the marathon and I'm thinking maybe just adding some back to back long runs...

holy s*^t I'm insane...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #263
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
We're awesome! what training plan are you using? I used Hal Higdon for the marathon and I'm thinking maybe just adding some back to back long runs...

holy s*^t I'm insane...
Being my first goofy, hopefully by that point will be my 2nd marathon as I am planning on doing the Columbus marathon in October, I am using a combo of the galloway beginner marathon for the c-bus one, then picking up the galloway goofy one to finish it out. My BIG concern is being able to keep the training up into the crappy weather of Nov Dec around here.. Have already started picking up some closeout cool / cold weather stuff for next year. I am really hoping my marathon in c-bus is close to 5 hrs. But as long as I finish I'll be happy. Same with goofy, would love to have a cushion and enjoy some of the extras, but am focused on just finishing. I have a LOT of family planning on coming down to support me, most wont be there for Sat but will be there for the full, so I've put a lot of pressure on myself to train hard, but safely, and finish it!!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #264
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

I am in. Booked DVC for Animal Kingdom Lodge. This will be my first marathon. I was on a good plan last year. I was running 5Ks and 10 Ks until I got shinsplints BAD. Was out 4 months for Physical Therapy. Back at it again. Ran my first 5K a month ago. 10K this weekend. 1/2 marathon in June. Then ramping up for the full in Jan.

Does anyone have a group started on facebook too? If not is anyone interested?
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #265
Duanerice
DIS Veteran

Plan to be back this year after a 2 year hiatus. Not sure if I will do Goofy. It's not the running, it's the getting up so early both days
Duane
Goofy January 2014
Duanerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #266
dburg30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_TCR View Post
I am in. Booked DVC for Animal Kingdom Lodge. This will be my first marathon. I was on a good plan last year. I was running 5Ks and 10 Ks until I got shinsplints BAD. Was out 4 months for Physical Therapy. Back at it again. Ran my first 5K a month ago. 10K this weekend. 1/2 marathon in June. Then ramping up for the full in Jan.

Does anyone have a group started on facebook too? If not is anyone interested?
I just have my own goofy FB page started.. You all can just come and join it lol..
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #267
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
Being my first goofy, hopefully by that point will be my 2nd marathon as I am planning on doing the Columbus marathon in October, I am using a combo of the galloway beginner marathon for the c-bus one, then picking up the galloway goofy one to finish it out. My BIG concern is being able to keep the training up into the crappy weather of Nov Dec around here.. Have already started picking up some closeout cool / cold weather stuff for next year. I am really hoping my marathon in c-bus is close to 5 hrs. But as long as I finish I'll be happy. Same with goofy, would love to have a cushion and enjoy some of the extras, but am focused on just finishing. I have a LOT of family planning on coming down to support me, most wont be there for Sat but will be there for the full, so I've put a lot of pressure on myself to train hard, but safely, and finish it!!
I know--I don't know how I lucked out this year that we had virtually no snow and it rarely rained on nights when I needed to run, plus great weather on the weekends for the long runs. The hardest was when daylight savings ended and every weeknight run was done in the dark! I did notice after Marine Corps, though, all the runners seemed to disappear and go into hibernation...

I'm hoping to do a fall marathon too--Marine corps if I can get in and if not, Philly and then hopefully just maintaining 'til January?

That's crazy pressure, but in a good way! So many people to support you along the way and celebrate at the end! I'll never forget what my mother said to me the night before the marathon, "You're insane. You're just crazy, I don't get it at all! You're going to kill yourself! You. can't. do. this." The next day after I crossed the finish line, "I'm just so proud of you! I always knew you could do it!"
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #268
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanerice View Post
Plan to be back this year after a 2 year hiatus. Not sure if I will do Goofy. It's not the running, it's the getting up so early both days
Duane
That would be my issue as well,for the marathon this year I got up at 2am which is close to the time I normally go to sleep,knowing that I didn't sleep Friday night hoping to be sleepy Saturday night and be able to go to
sleep around 6pm to get up at 2am.Even though I was close to being in sleepyland around 6:30pm just like I planned something happened and excitement or something kicked in and I couldn't fall asleep until around midnight,so I got no sleep Friday night and 2 hours Saturday night to run a marathon Sunday morning.I really wanted to do the Goofy challenge but the whole getting up that early two nights in a row worries me,I'm sticking to the full marathon next year and I'll probably go Goofy in 2015 for the 10th anniversary.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #269
NYUBwayBaby
Mouseketeer

My mom wants to run the Goofy before she turns 50. She had a pretty good time on the full last year. I don't remember what it was, but I was impressed. I got picked up at mile 21... So it looks like a rematch may be in order in 2014 for me. Maybe I can get my dad to run the half with her so she won't run it alone...
NYUBwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #270
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know--I don't know how I lucked out this year that we had virtually no snow and it rarely rained on nights when I needed to run, plus great weather on the weekends for the long runs. The hardest was when daylight savings ended and every weeknight run was done in the dark! I did notice after Marine Corps, though, all the runners seemed to disappear and go into hibernation...

I'm hoping to do a fall marathon too--Marine corps if I can get in and if not, Philly and then hopefully just maintaining 'til January?

That's crazy pressure, but in a good way! So many people to support you along the way and celebrate at the end! I'll never forget what my mother said to me the night before the marathon, "You're insane. You're just crazy, I don't get it at all! You're going to kill yourself! You. can't. do. this." The next day after I crossed the finish line, "I'm just so proud of you! I always knew you could do it!"

I live in Northern IL. We had some very weird weather this year. It was much warmer in NOV & Dec. On Thanksgiving Day I was in the Chicago suburbs playing Bags in a tshirt. That is warm. December was the same. It wasn't short sleeve tshirt weather, but warmish. It didnt even snow until right before Christmas. I am hoping for the same this coming year. With Galloway's plan the last few weeks are cool down runs. So, hopefully it might be still warmish before Christmas and that last big run.

Actually, I have heard that because of climate change, the seasons are changing some. We are getting warm weather later in the year. And winter is going later into March & April. Has anyone else heard of this weather shift?

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: