Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #1756
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman1962 View Post
Much respect for anyone who can do anything on a treadmill for more than an hour! 20 miles this weekend outside, Montreal weather co-operating or not! Let's get 'er done!
I like that attitude!

I have 10 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday planning, but we have SO MUCH SNOW HERE. I was planning on doing it outside, but 45 minutes of walking in the snow this morning (pushing a stroller with a 3 year old in it, and with a 25 lb toddler on my back...) has given me some worrying knee pain.

Oh, I am really hoping that I don't have to do 30 miles on the treadmill this weekend!!!!!

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #1757
experiment818
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post
Just looked at the website for this and I am intrigued! Have you done this event before? Do you run on a track? I might consider the half as well, since I am getting real tired of the freezing cold and could use some "warmer climate" training.
No, I have never done this event before. This may be the first one at the DCU Center but I not 100% sure. I originally thought it was run around the concourse, where the concessions would be (if that makes sense?). But after looking at the floorplan map, it looks like it may just be a large oval around the main floor. All I know is that it is 78 laps (about 0.168 miles per lap).

There are actually 2 half marathons being run that day.
#1 - has a 2 hour time cap
#2 - has a 3 hour 15 min time cap

I signed up for #2 and yesterday when I looked there were still 11 entries remaining. Now it shows that #2 is SOLD OUT.

Follow me on Instagram @fryeburg
experiment818 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #1758
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

The program is now online, and page 7 on the PDF files shows "runners will be prohibited from accessing the start corrals from Bonnet Creek Parkway or Buena Vista Drive." I'm not surprised but am happy Disney got the word out early.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #1759
Nole95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
The program is now online, and page 7 on the PDF files shows "runners will be prohibited from accessing the start corrals from Bonnet Creek Parkway or Buena Vista Drive." I'm not surprised but am happy Disney got the word out early.
Definitely good to know, and I am glad RunDisney put this in writing so that there is no confusion.

We are staying at Port Orleans, and it would have been much closer and quicker to walk to our corral from there as opposed to the 20 minute walk from the Epcot parking lots.

Oh well, I understand that this is probably for safety and security reasons, so DW and I will follow the rules.
Nole95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1760
mathrockskallen
Earning My Ears

20 miles down here in Houston this weekend! I think we've had all of the types of weather this training season...rain, chilly drizzle, cold (32* is cold for us!), and it scheduled to be in the 60s Saturday morning with more rain possible. Whatever weather Disney brings us, we will be ready! Bless all of you doing these long runs on a treadmill...I've done 1 five miler this fall and that was enough for me!
mathrockskallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1761
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I did a half marathon and the TOT ten miler in October,but I think I'm going into this marathon undertrained as in November I pulled my hamstring and have stayed pretty much of it since.I tried to do 4-5 miles on the treadmill like 2 weeks after and once I got the treadmill to 5.5 the hamstring tightened up on me again.I went back to the treadmill last week and it was fine.I definitely didn't go past 6.0 but I did 4 miles and finished fine.I'm going back on the treadmill tonight and will try to do every stretch possible to avoid another issue.If I have to walk a bit more in the marathon that's fine but I don't want to finish injured.I did go 15 miles on the street before the hamstring injury but it wasn't a great run as rain started coming down around mile 9,I had plans to do a couple more long runs of 18+ but the hamstring stopped that and it's too late now to do that and I rather have the hamstring heal and not get overstressed and injured again.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #1762
Nole95
Mouseketeer

Are the food courts at the various resorts open in the early hours that all us runners will be up for these races? Can you get a cup of coffee, bagel, etc. at 3am if need be before getting on a bus?
Nole95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #1763
smallsy
Mouseketeer

What strategy do you suggest if your running buddy in a different corral than you? Would you have them hang back somewhere to meet you? I was trying to be realistic in estimating my marathon time for goofy (slower than half and hello I'll still be sore from the day before), but that means I ended up about 3 corrals back from my BIL who put a half time. I should've just "lied" and put in my typical half time of 2hrs rather than use the full time of 4:45
smallsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #1764
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

I apologize as I know this has been posted somewhere but can't find - did I read where the manager of AKL will provide breakfast that am?
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #1765
smallsy
Mouseketeer

Nevermind, I just read on page 46 of the program that the faster runner can move back to the slower corral.

Has anyone ever had a problem with that? I can see a race official giving my BIL a hard time about being in my corral.
smallsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #1766
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallsy View Post
Nevermind, I just read on page 46 of the program that the faster runner can move back to the slower corral.

Has anyone ever had a problem with that? I can see a race official giving my BIL a hard time about being in my corral.
My husband dropped back a couple of corrals during the W&D half to be with me. They had no problems doing that, only with people trying to go up in corrals.

Shouldn't be an issue!

WDW - Too many visits to count!
AOA - Jan 2013 CBR - Nov 2013 POR - Jan 2014 POP - Feb 2014, Oct 2014 YC - Jan 2015
Disney Fantasy - EC, March 2013
W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Glass Slipper Challenge - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
FloridaNative8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #1767
cutigress
Earning My Ears

What Clif products are on the course? Reading the final instructions today....
cutigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #1768
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
Has this been posted in the guide before? In other words will it be strictly enforced? I chose POFQ so I could take advantage of the walk, I'll be really disappointed if I can't. I appreciate the fact that they let us know and it's for safety. But is still like to try if the vets think we can still utilize the walk.
steves1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #1769
DoctorK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutigress View Post
What Clif products are on the course? Reading the final instructions today....
Clif shots - various flavors.
DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #1770
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1019 View Post
Has this been posted in the guide before? In other words will it be strictly enforced? I chose POFQ so I could take advantage of the walk, I'll be really disappointed if I can't. I appreciate the fact that they let us know and it's for safety. But is still like to try if the vets think we can still utilize the walk.
I just read the guide, this is noted in several spots. Guess they are serious. Bummer cause that was the entire strategy in choosing my resort. I could have found a cheaper option. I don't want to be the person they make an example of though. So I guess I'll have to follow the rules. Would hate to lose out after all the training. Though I could wear some camo and sneak in, who's with me, lol
steves1019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: