Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

recently off 4 night Dream and truth is...

Don't believe everything you read here. A lot of things are purely opinion as is what I am reporting. Don't stress over someone else's criticism because you may find something very different.

1. The ship is NOT too big. It is easy to get around. There are location keys and signs everywhere. If you don't like to read signs, ask a CM - they are also everywhere.

2. The Dream is NOT a training ship. I actually asked about this and was told this is a common myth. There are no training ships. Our servers were experienced and anticipated our needs/desires quickly and easily. This applies to our stateroom servers and our dining staff. They went over and beyond & made our visit easy and enjoyable. (Yes, we mentioned their names in the satisfaction survey) Oddly enough the CMs that left something to be desired were the girls working Oceaneers Club. I just expected more (again purely my opinion)

3. At AP Crush is NOT too loud. This was a very fun dining experience. I could easily hear the people across the table. I did not get a headache.

We had an amazing time. I can't wait to plan our next adventure. Please ask if you have any questions. I will tell you what our experience was.

Last edited by WendyLovesPeter; 01-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
Don't believe everything you read here. A lot of things are purely opinion as is what I am reporting. Don't stress over someone else's criticism because you may find something very different.

1. The ship is NOT too big. It is easy to get around. There are location keys and signs everywhere. If you don't like to read signs, ask a CM - they are also everywhere.

2. The Dream is NOT a training ship. I actually asked about this and was told this is a common myth. There are no training ships. Our servers were experienced and anticipated our needs/desires quickly and easily. This applies to our stateroom servers and our dining staff. They went over and beyond & made our visit easy and enjoyable. (Yes, we mentioned their names in the satisfaction survey) Oddly enough the CMs that left something to be desired were the girls working Oceaneers Club. I just expected more (again purely my opinion)

3. At AP Crush is NOT too loud. This was a very fun dining experience. I could easily here the people across the table. I did not get a headache.

We had an amazing time. I can't wait to plan our next adventure. Please ask if you have any questions. I will tell you what our experience was.
Thanks for the review...Go Buckeyes.....
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting this. We're going on the Fantasy in June and I was nervous about some of those same things. Our last cruise was in 2004, so it's been a while. I'm from OH too.

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Yes, go Buckeyes (we are alums). And go Bobcats (I have an OU student also). We went on the early January cruise. We saw soooo many Ohio and Michigan residents. Everyone looking for a warm winter weekend - lots of fun
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Thanks for the review. As you noted its your opinion. I happen to agree with most of them.

Only the part about crush not being too loud is questionable to me. I suspect that it depends on where you are seated. We've seen this "show" several times (3 on the Dream, 1 on the Fantasy) and in a couple of cases found it very loud. In the other cases it was fine.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
jenerra11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Thanks for the review. As you noted its your opinion. I happen to agree with most of them.

Only the part about crush not being too loud is questionable to me. I suspect that it depends on where you are seated. We've seen this "show" several times (3 on the Dream, 1 on the Fantasy) and in a couple of cases found it very loud. In the other cases it was fine.
I too found that crush was too loud. I even mentioned it to my server and he gave me that look like yeah I know. However, we were seated next to the screen, so maybe that's why it was so loud. Other than that, we had a amazing time on the Dream!
jenerra11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Thanks for confirming number 2. Training takes place on all ships and new CMs are brought on board all ships for an initial experience after attending their shoreside training.

The other 2 are really matters of personal opinion (and possibly dining room seating.) We didn't find Crush to be too loud, but that was just our experience. Someone else could have heard the same show we did and feel differently. Ditto ship size--compared to the classic ships, the new ships are BIG. "Too big" is again a judgement call.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
wendiloveswalt
WendiLovesWalt

Thanks for the review. We're sailing in February on the Dream for our first Disney cruise!

DS 7, DD 4, DD 6 months
March 2012 CSR,Nov 2010 WL,July 2006 Disneyland
May 2005 Disneyland,Dec 1994 Big Red Boat/WDW Offsite,Several childhood trips staying offsite
wendiloveswalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I appreciate your posting this. We are considering a cruise on the Fantasy. It is good read varying opinions on the ship's size, etc. We love the classics but would also enjoy experiencing the "big" ships!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

If you loved the Dream.. you will love the Fantasy. Our cruise in May on the Fantasy was our best cruise yet!!! ( we have done all 4 ships.)
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
shoediva
Earning My Ears

Quote:

3. At AP Crush is NOT too loud. This was a very fun dining experience. I could easily hear the people across the table. I did not get a headache.

Hi, can elaborate on your experience with the Oceaneers Club. How old were your children?

Did you experience Palo Brunch? If so did you like it?

Will be sailing on the Dream in April.

Thanks.
Carnival Ecstasy - July 201
Disney Dream - April 2013
Carnival Breeze- August 2013
shoediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
We didn't find Crush to be too loud, but that was just our experience. Someone else could have heard the same show we did and feel differently.
I suspect that it does have something to do with where you are seated. On the Fantasy last month we weren't right next to any of the screens and I thought the sound level was fine. I remember at least one time on the Dream where we were right at a screen and the sound level was a bit much. Oh, and yes I do realize the sound doesn't actually come out of the screen, it comes out of speakers in the walls/ceiling.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
noahsmom
2002 - Poly & Wonder; 2004 - Poly & Wonder; 2006 - AKL & Magic; 2007 - SSR & Wonder; 2008 SSR only; 2009 Kidani, SSR & Magic to Tortola; 2010 Double dip Wonder & WDW road trip

I agree, what you get are peoples opinions and you need to take them with a grain of salt. We have been on all four ships and they all have their positives and negatives. My favorite, in order - Fantasy, Wonder, Dream, Magic.

There are many different reasons for my order and I would sail on any of them as long as there's a stop at Castaway Cay. That's the deal breaker for me, I must go to that wonderful place.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
tracyheartsmickey
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your post. You put me at ease on a couple of items. First, thanks for saying it's "not too big." I was getting a little nervous. Also I have been concerned about not being able to hear Crush. Seems like I don't have to worry about that (although depending where we sit, he could be louder than we would like.)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:

1. I didn't find the Dream or Fantasy to be TOO big. However, I avoided the pool deck whenever possible due to the crowds.

2. My Feb. 2011 Dream cruise was a month after its maiden yoyage, and our servers were trainees. However, the servers on my Dec. 2009 Wonder cruise were also pretty mediocre, so sometimes the quality of service you get amounts to pure luck.

3. I don't remember much about the show with Crush on the Dream, and I ate in Palo the night of Crush's show on the Fantasy. I will say that the general level of noise during early seating was quite high in all 3 dining rooms.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: