Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #61
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

YAY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Aww, what an AWESOME gift! Dang, good job!

Lion King on Broadway should be AMAZING! That's so wonderful! Aww, I love Christmas morning!!!

I love the Avengerail! AND I LOVE THOR. Omg, do I love Thor. Yum................ (and I NEVER like guys with long hair. It's CHRIS HEMSWORTH so it's FINE.)

Moving on.

Cute surprise! I'm glad she was in a better mood.

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #62
murmkc
Mouseketeer

AWESOME - I will stay tuned for the rest!
murmkc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #63
foxyroxy40
Earning My Ears

first off I'm enjoying your report we were their about the same time as you we went to the hoop-de-doo the next night after you on christmas night at 8:30 their was a big table next to us that sat empty for almost an hour from when we got their finally the people who's table it was arrived they got fresh food nothing was on the table except the bread and they sent that back and got fresh and the whole party didnt even arrive together so i cant believe that you didnt get your table that was crappy on disney's part we were staying in the french quarter and had went to animal kingdom that day and i made my family leave three hours before the show to make sure we got their on time we had to wait an hour once we were their so my family grumbled at me
foxyroxy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #64
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
OMG!!! Laughing out loud. You are a riot and I probably would have said some of the same things. (but, again, I'm sacastic that way!!!) Love the spinning head referrence! My hubby goes into a dissertation about old farm tractors......yeah, so exciting....thanks hun!!
Thanks...I'm glad I gave you a giggle! Oh, I'm VERY sarcastic, too (as you can tell), as is Gabriel; and he gives as good as he gets!

Farm tractors, huh? Boys and their toys, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna319 View Post
Loving your report! I am also a huge fan of the macadamian pancakes at kona. We were at WDW from 12/29-1/8. Can't wait to see where you spent NYE! We were at epcot.
Thank you!

Sometimes I crave those pancakes...I've tried to make them at home, but they're just not the same!

NYE was quite an adventure for us...stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2010 View Post
You're report is totally hilarious and I'm loving it. I can't wait to see what the rest of Christmas Day holds. I've always said I wouldn't go to WDW at Christmas because of the crowds so I'm eager to see how you dealt with them! I LOVE Christmas too. In fact, since we choose not to celebrate Halloween with trick or treating, we use that day to put up our Christmas tree! I am totally NOT kidding (It ususally comes down New Year's Eve/DAy just in case you're wondering.) ANyway, more more more! (Please )
Thank you!

I've always said the same thing about staying away during the holidays, but it was the only time my brother and his family could go. So we decided to suck it up and make it work!

WOW, how cool to have your Christmas tree up on Halloween...I would LOVE that, but my BF would stage a mutiny!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #65
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Count me in!!
I'm glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Christmas morning at Disney - how cool!!! Yours and Gabriel's gifts for each other are so sweet! And what an awesome gift for Brianna!

Hahaha DF can go on and on about the superheroes too, I totally hear you on that! Gabriel got some great shots of the Avengerail!
It was SO cool waking up in Disney on Christmas...definitely a first for me, so I can check it off the ol' bucket list!

It was pretty cool that we were on the same wavelength with gifts...and that we completely surprised each other. That doesn't happen too often!

I know more about superheroes than I ever thought I would, that's for sure...I bet you do, too!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #66
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
YAY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Aww, what an AWESOME gift! Dang, good job!

Lion King on Broadway should be AMAZING! That's so wonderful! Aww, I love Christmas morning!!!

I love the Avengerail! AND I LOVE THOR. Omg, do I love Thor. Yum................ (and I NEVER like guys with long hair. It's CHRIS HEMSWORTH so it's FINE.)

Moving on.

Cute surprise! I'm glad she was in a better mood.
I don't catch him completely by surprise often, but I got him good this time! Goooooo, me!

I am SO excited to see The Lion King! If I lived closer to New York, I'd be attending Broadway shows as often as my wallet would allow!

The Avengerail is awesome! I totally get what you're saying about Chris Hemsworth...I don't usually go for blonde boys, but he's just so...wow...words fail me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmkc View Post
AWESOME - I will stay tuned for the rest!
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyroxy40 View Post
first off I'm enjoying your report we were their about the same time as you we went to the hoop-de-doo the next night after you on christmas night at 8:30 their was a big table next to us that sat empty for almost an hour from when we got their finally the people who's table it was arrived they got fresh food nothing was on the table except the bread and they sent that back and got fresh and the whole party didnt even arrive together so i cant believe that you didnt get your table that was crappy on disney's part we were staying in the french quarter and had went to animal kingdom that day and i made my family leave three hours before the show to make sure we got their on time we had to wait an hour once we were their so my family grumbled at me
It's nice to have you here!

The whole HDDR thing was out of character for Disney, that's for sure. No worries, though...there's a bit more to the story...coming up soon!

You were smart to leave so early for HDDR...better to wait for an hour then miss part of the show!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #67
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Subbing! Great TR!

Quote:
I never know how to start a trip report, so Ill borrow from Mr. Dickens...
You can never go wrong with a quote from a classic!

Loved seeing all the princess room pics. We've only stayed in the Alligator Bayou section at Riverside, but I reeeally want to try Magnolia Bend next time!!

Also loved your niece's reaction to BBB, so cute!

Can't wait to hear which cupcakes you tried!!
AGPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #68
RoosMama
Mouseketeer

Subbing also! We are going next Christmas, so I'm excited to hear about everyone else's Christmas fun at Disney!
RoosMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #69
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I don't even know what to say about the whole Hoop De Doo revue situ... (which is pretty rare for me...) I'm just glad you all enjoyed the show...

Great Christmas gifts... you will have a great time at Lion King... be forewarned...NYC is cold in February... make sure you have warm stuff... but NY is all kinds of fun... so it will be great (I live outside of Philadelphia so it's a day trip for us...)

I love Bree's expressions... I love a girl who shows her true feelings... Can't wait to see her Princess makeover...

Hmmm... in no particular order... just stream of consciousness...

love those Macadamian nut pancakes and the butter...?... amazing... I think there are probably all kinds of things you could put that on...

Love Tiana... just watched the Princess and the Frog... really good movie... I think she needs more love...

Drinking coffee while reading your conversation about the super heros... bad idea for my keyboard...

PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #70
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPrincess View Post
Subbing! Great TR!

You can never go wrong with a quote from a classic!

Loved seeing all the princess room pics. We've only stayed in the Alligator Bayou section at Riverside, but I reeeally want to try Magnolia Bend next time!!

Also loved your niece's reaction to BBB, so cute!

Can't wait to hear which cupcakes you tried!!
I'm glad you're here!

I highly recommend the princess rooms...they're totally immersive, which I love. I can't imagine staying at POR in any other room now!

It was so fun surprising her...she had no idea what was coming!

Ahhh, so many cupcakes, too little time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosMama View Post
Subbing also! We are going next Christmas, so I'm excited to hear about everyone else's Christmas fun at Disney!
It's great to have you along for the ride! Disney is extra magical at Christmas...I lived vicariously through TRs for months before we got there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I don't even know what to say about the whole Hoop De Doo revue situ... (which is pretty rare for me...) I'm just glad you all enjoyed the show...

The show was good, and the whole thing is resolved in an upcoming installment!

Great Christmas gifts... you will have a great time at Lion King... be forewarned...NYC is cold in February... make sure you have warm stuff... but NY is all kinds of fun... so it will be great (I live outside of Philadelphia so it's a day trip for us...)

I'm SO excited!! I've never been to New York in February, so I appreciate the tip! If I lived close enough to drive in and spend the day in NY, I'd be there all the time!

I love Bree's expressions... I love a girl who shows her true feelings... Can't wait to see her Princess makeover...

She's not shy about letting us know what she's feeling, that's for sure!

Hmmm... in no particular order... just stream of consciousness...

love those Macadamian nut pancakes and the butter...?... amazing... I think there are probably all kinds of things you could put that on...

OMG, that butter is good enough to merit its own food group!

Love Tiana... just watched the Princess and the Frog... really good movie... I think she needs more love...

I agree! I took my little cousin to MK for her birthday last year, and she had the best interaction with Tiana! She still talks about it!

Drinking coffee while reading your conversation about the super heros... bad idea for my keyboard...

LOL...that's a great compliment...thank you! (Hope your keyboard survived!)

Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #71
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Day 2, Chapter 12—Deluxe Decorations and Captivating Cupcakes

“We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.” (Elf)

After breakfast I called Mom to see how she was feeling, which unfortunately was still not good. We offered to go back to POR, but she said she was resting; and we should just continue on without her. I felt so bad for her not feeling well on Christmas!

We decided to take a walk on the beach and enjoy the beautiful day. I have a sentimental attachment to the Poly because it was the first Disney resort I ever stayed at back when I thought Josie and the Pussycats were neat, sweet, and groovy and Lucky Charms were the height of good eats.

For you trivia buffs, John Lennon signed the paperwork that officially broke up the Beatles at the Poly.

There it is…my precious! No matter how many times I go to Disney, the first glimpse of the castle is what makes it really real.

Daddy/daughter beach bonding…

Gabriel and I staked our claim on a couple of loungers and made some phone calls. He called his kids and parents to wish them Merry Christmas, and then I called my sister and her family. They all live in cold climates; so naturally, everyone was pea green with envy that we were talking to them from the beach at Disney while gazing at Cinderella Castle!

After a while, we reluctantly left the serenity of the beach to head to our next exotic location. We wanted to take the Poly launch to MK and then hop the resort launch to WL, but the CM manning the dock explained that some of the boats aren’t equipped for scooters. No biggie, I wanted to check out the cupcakes at Captain Cook’s anyway. Did it matter that we'd eaten breakfast just an hour ago? Um, no, not in the least! I was looking for their lemon-ginger creation, which is a ginger (not gingerbread) cake with zingy lemon filling. Sadly, they didn’t have any...my cupcake crawl was off to a less than auspicious start. (It’s too bad the new chocolate-beer cupcake wasn’t out yet...I don’t think Gabriel could’ve resisted it.)

But all was not lost because I spotted the Dole Whip machine. I think I shouted, “It’s a Christmas miracle!” I feel strongly that every meal, even breakfast, should be followed by a Dole Whip. We shared two cups of soft serve between the five of us…so good!

Brianna’s Christmas money was burning a hole in her pocket, so we stopped in one of the shops. After a very thorough inspection of everything in the store, she finally settled on a tube of Goofy’s Pucker Powder (similar to pixie stix) in a variety of flavors. While she shopped, I took a picture of the fountain because I only have 432 other versions of it.

On the way to the monorail, we spotted a gingerbread house, and I asked Brianna to give me her best Vanna White impersonation. Her response, “Who’s Vanna White?” Introducing, Bri-vanna!

How cute is Lilo and Stitch’s house?

I’m not sure how I managed to leave the Poly without one single photo of the decorations, but I did. One of my goals for the trip was to get pictures of as many resort decorations as possible…FAIL!

The Contemporary Resort….

We hopped a monorail to the CR for one reason…CUPCAKES! I knew exactly which cupcake I wanted from Contempo Café…the red velvet that I’ve heard so much about. But then, in typical Disney fashion, they amped up the awesome and gave me more fabulous choices. I/we finally decided to get two cupcakes to share.

These, my friends are the cool mint and red velvet cupcakes. The cool mint is especially festive and just plain pretty! (Credit to Disney Food Blog for the photos).

Both were very good…moist, flavorful cake and smooth, creamy frosting… My favorite was the red velvet…the cream cheese center was positively sinful in the best possible way! I’m a southern girl, and I grew up on red velvet cake…Disney did not disappoint!

Don’t get me wrong; the cool mint was good, too. Gabriel, Lenny and Bee all liked it best. Gabriel especially enjoyed the juxtaposition of the rich, dark chocolate cake with the cool refreshing mint of the frosting. I love chocolate, but my taste runs more to the lighter variety. The dark chocolate cake and chocolate filling together were a little too death by chocolate for me. Still, if it’s my time to go, death by chocolate would be my choice!

As long as we were at the CR, we decided to check out the decorations. Sadly, there aren’t really a lot of them. The gingerbread Christmas tree is cool though, and the Mary Blair-esque backdrop is fun.

Contemporary Resort trivia…Richard Nixon gave his famous “I am not a crook” speech from a CR meeting room.

Wilderness Lodge…

I decided to park the scooter at the CR and take the boat to WL even though Gabriel and Earl both said they thought it was a bad idea and we should just go back to MK and get a bus to WL.

“Pish posh, boys,” I said, “Don’t contradict the diva, and let’s get to steppin’, yo!”

Gabriel made a sound I’ve never heard him make before…a combination of the noise you make when you hit your thumb with a hammer but can’t swear and strangled laughter. He’s used to me mixing metaphors, dangling participles and droppin’ Gs, but evidently combining Mary Poppins and street slang was more than he could take. “Never,” he said, giving me his best squinty-eyed bandit scowl, “Do. That. Again.”

“No promises, G-money, ” I said. “After all, I have to protect my street cred.”

He snorted. “Like you have street cred.”

No respect!

As you probably already figured out (because you’re WAY smarter than me), it was a lot of walking, and my knee didn’t appreciate it one bit. The first part, to the CR dock, wasn’t bad; and the boat ride was really lovely. Unfortunately, the path to WL from its dock is approximately 6,472 miles long. We finally reached the pool, but I power-limped right past it without even stopping. I wanted a comfy chair and something to drink immediately, if not sooner!

While I rested my knee, I put Gabriel on camera duty; and evidently he thought two photos would be sufficient.

I hobbled over to the pin kiosk to see if the CM had anything worth trading for, and Brianna joined me. I wasn’t in love with any of the pins, but I decided to trade just for the fun of it anyway. My lanyard was tucked in my bag, and Bee’s eyes got SO BIG as I pulled it out.

A pin trader was born!

I explained how trading works and offered to let her make the choice. She selected a Jasmine pin (duh) and then naturally needed a lanyard to pin it on, so I let her pick out a starter set. She decided on Minnie and immediately traded one of her starter pins. My brother sighed and suggested that I may have just created a monster.

Monster shmonster…here, sweetie, have a couple of Aunt Lauri’s old pins and go trade to your little heart’s content.

In between trades, she had a mini photo shoot…

Love the blue pucker powder lips!

Eventually, we made our way to Roaring Forks because I’d heard they have a very special cupcake; and I hadn’t walked 6,472 miles to not try it!

Just when I thought I’d met my cupcake soulmate in the CR red velvet, Disney rocked my world with something so unique and exceptional that I’ll never look at other cupcakes the same. The little piece of perfection I’m talking about is the S’mores cupcake…graham cracker flavored cake with chocolate hiding inside as a scrumptious surprise. Swoon.

Photo by “Roger W.” from yelp.

The frosting is either a toasted marshmallow or meringue that tastes like toasted marshmallow. I don't know, and I don't care because whatever it is, it's delicious! Just to make it even more perfect, nestled in the frosting is a piece of chocolate.

While I loved (such a poor, weak word) this cupcake, Gabriel thought it was good but not great. He thought the cake should have been chocolate or, at the very least, there should have been more chocolate filling. I think that if there was any more chocolate, the graham cracker cake would be overpowered.

We got one cupcake for all of us to share…after all we’d already had breakfast, Dole Whips, and two other cupcakes at Contempo Café…there was no way we could eat more than a bite or two, no matter how good it was. Turns out that sharing a S’mores cupcake is not as easy as you might think…and we ended up getting another one. After all we had 6,472 miles to walk to get back to the boat, and we might need provisions!

A parting shot of our journey into the wilderness….

I especially wanted Earl to see WL because it’s right up his alley…he’s Mr. Outdoors. As we were leaving, he asked why we weren’t staying there, and Bee piped up, “Are there princess rooms here?”

‘Nuf said…point taken.

WL trivia: If you look at WL from Bay Lake, the shadows on the main tower are designed to make a bear. WL was the first WDW resort to have a mascot…Humphrey the Bear, created by Walt Disney Studios in 1950.

Up next: What now, Aunt Lauri?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #72
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I love your cupcake tour - what a great way to spend Christmas!! That mint cupcake looks awesome! I love the little sprinkles on it!

Hahaha good job starting up another pin trader!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #73
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

AHHH CONTEMPO CUPCAKES CONTEMPO CUPCAKES CONTEMPO CUPCAKES AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Aww, I hope your mom wasn't feeling bad for too long!

But seriously, the Contempo cupcakes.

Oh my goodness, WL is just so gorgeous! Ahh love it.

Hahha I'm really glad you created a pin trading monster.

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #74
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Too bad that they didn't have any cupcakes over at the Poly... maybe too early? (hah... I looked for that ginger lemon cc too right after breakfast at Kona... and none out yet...) hmmm... bet they do come out a little later... I do love Lilo and Stitch's house... I LOVE them...

Nice Christmas view... Cindy's Castle from the Poly Beach... you could do much worse...

Score at the Contempo... I think they are both lovely but I'd probs be with you on taste... it's pretty darn hard to beat a good red velvet...

Wow... you left your scooter at the Contemporary and hoofed it over (well, yes... ok a boat was involved) to the WL and you did the endless march into the Lodge (& I happen to love the WL... its one my top 3 list...) but wow... that's a lot of walking when you're having trouble...

I like that pin trading station at the WL...never too busy... and I've usually gotten lucky for a pin or two... Congrats on turning another unsuspecting little person into a pin trader...

You're S"mores cupcake sounds like it was good... by the time I got over there last time... I think the cake was stale and the chocolate inside was too hard... It was tragically disappointing... I'm glad you had better luck...

Hmmm... John Lennon and Richard Nixon... I guess everyone really does go to Disney...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #75
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I love your cupcake tour - what a great way to spend Christmas!! That mint cupcake looks awesome! I love the little sprinkles on it!

Hahaha good job starting up another pin trader!
The cupcake tour was a rousing success...we would definitely do it again. The mint cupcake was, according to Gabriel, "like Christmas in your mouth."

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
AHHH CONTEMPO CUPCAKES CONTEMPO CUPCAKES CONTEMPO CUPCAKES AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Aww, I hope your mom wasn't feeling bad for too long!

But seriously, the Contempo cupcakes.

Oh my goodness, WL is just so gorgeous! Ahh love it.

Hahha I'm really glad you created a pin trading monster.
LOL...Those cupcakes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!

Thankfully, she felt better soon and was able to join us for the rest of the day!

I know...I want one NOW!

WL is so special...I really want to stay there!

It was fun leading her in the Wonderful Ways of Disney!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: